I don't know if I have Fibromyalgia!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spunkye, Nov 15, 2008.

1. spunkye

spunkye New Member

The major symptom I have is 'flu-like', and I haven't really read much - if anything at all - about this being a symptom. Sometimes I just feel 'crummy', tired, and like I'm catching something - and don't go anywhere 'cuz I feel so crummy.
    Is there anyone out there with 'that' symptom?
    Thanks for reading.
  2. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

This is exactly how I have felt for at least the past two years. It comes in cycles, usually a month to four months. I feel "sick" like I'm "coming down with something." I get exhausted, sleep for 18 hours a day, for a few days, feel achy and flu-like. We realized after awhile that it wasn't a virus, because my husband never caught it. Or if it is a virus, my immune system is just a lot weaker than his, or most other people. I believe it's CFS and/or Fibromyalgia. There are probably people here that may believe it's a low-grade Epstein-Barr virus (I believe a lot of people think Herpes Virus 6 and/or EBV are underlying causes of CFS.) You are definitely not alone with that "crummy" feeling. The only thing that helps for me is rest. It usually lasts 2-10 days for me.
  3. spunkye

spunkye New Member

Thanks for that info.!! This has been going on for years...the last doctor I went to ended up patting me on the back as she was walking me out the door, saying "You're a healthy young woman." Talk about feeling patronized and hypochondriacal!!!

Anyway, last night I "accidently" found a website that charges nominally for computerized diagnoses...the answers came back today. That, along with your feedback, really makes me feel mentally better. Even though I still feel crummy today, I feel somehow relieved - now I know what's wrong and there are things I can do to improve and feel better!!

It all seems to go back to auto-immune deficiency...and things can be done for that.
    Thanks again,
  4. joetonya

joetonya New Member

I was bedridden all last winter, due to severe flu like symptoms which turned out to be migraines. Sometimes i didn't even have a headache, but felt very lythargic, sometimes nauseated, weak and fatigued, along with severe pain all over my body. It turns out that fibromyalgia affects your hormones and when your hormones are affected, you can get migraines. I'm not a doctor, but this is my personal experience, so you might want to talk to your doctor about your symptoms and see if he can get you on a medication that helps control migraine headaches. Good luck!
  5. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Really, there's a site that will diagnose things online? Never heard of anything like that before but I've only been on earth six decades and change.

None of my business, of course (and since when do I let a little thing like that stop me?) but could I ask what the charge was?

You said something about "The last dr I went to..."
    Have any drs ordered up blood tests, looked for EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus), also several other things? Checked out your thyroid, for instance?

Of course the EBV test will likely come back as positive since it's a very rare person who hasn't been exposed to Epstein-Barr, therefore has the antibodies...but hey, when you get a handle on how to deal with auto-immune lack and get all better would you please come back and tell the rest of us how you did it?

6. spunkye

spunkye New Member

It's been about a year since I've had blood tests and the doctor that" patted me on the back" was the one who ordered them and she didn't say there was anything unusual. It is time for me to get a new doc and start the process again - thanks for the suggestion.
    I do have low thyroid for which I take medication.

The site that does diagnoses, I ran across accidently last night. I got the report back today - something like 75 pages and it was very thorough and did suggest Fibromyalgia as one of the problems. The least expensive computer-generated report was $25.00. I would be happy to give you the site, but I don't know if it's permitted on this site. Please let me know and I'll get it to you one way or another!

I'm sorry if I sounded like I 'have the answers now' when I wrote about knowing what to do for auto-immune deficiency...I certainly don't; but I know who to read and a site to go on to get info on building up ones immune system. I went through this a few years ago when I had a terrible and consistent skin outbreak and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. Dr. Andrew Weil (sp?) had a book out at the time and I remember taking action on his suggestions for strengthening the auto-immune system (putting together in capsule form - herbs/etc from the health food store) and that made the problem go away, not to return! I'm going to go to his site and try to find that book again.

Also, I know that diet and exercise help strengthen the system as well...whatever I find out I'll share!

7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have fibro and today I am home from work because of incredible fatigue. What I call the "flu-like" feeling is a type of pain. There are all types with fibro, pain in spots that, when touched, feel like a bad bruise, pain in the muscles like sprains or pulls, and that flu pain like an achy, feverish feeling. That one is the worst for me and is extremely miserable because you ache all over.

Might not be fibro if that is all you have tho. Check out the other criteria on this site.
  8. spunkye

spunkye New Member

Thanks for all the feedback!!!...and thanks for welcoming me, grammy27!

The flu-like symptoms are the major symptoms, along with general 'achiness'. I feel,sometimes like "I've been run over by a bus". My feet, my fingers, my back, hips, etc, et, etc, and with the 'flu' thingee, the aches and pains get worse.

I've been 'house-bound' now for about one week...wasn't able to go to my grandson's birthday party!!. My head gets stuffy, sinusy-type headaches, sneezy, coughy, slight sore throat, and VERY lethargic. Are these symptoms other 'out there' have? I don't have those 'tender' points, that I've heard about. Also, what exactly are the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome?...I understand that often goes with Fibro...and my bowels are definitely a 'problem', shall we say?

It's been about a year since my last thyroid test, but I'm going to set up an appt with a new doc and can look into that again.

Thanks so much for all your feedback and please keep it coming.. I'd sure like to put a name to this nightmare.