I don't know what is wrong with me

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Singing4Him14, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Singing4Him14

Singing4Him14 New Member

I have been very depressed for 2 years, and I feel very guilty for it... I was so happy in High School, and I feel like I don't have any genuine friends at college. It's not like I have done the stupid college stuff like drinking and drugs and sex.. I am a Christian girl, and I feel guilty that I am this down. People think that being depressed is a choice. It's not. Two years ago, I started having ridiculous amounts of pain on the left side of my body.. yes, at 19 years old. No one can figure out what it is to this day. I cannot tell you how many ER visits I made and how traumitizing it was every time I stepped into a doctor's office... everyone started looking at me like a drug addict, when in all reality I was just in a lot of pain. My mom even took me to Mayo Clinic, and all they found was that I had twice as much inflammation in my body as a normal person should have. The one thing worse than being diagnosed is not being diagnosed...it' so frustrating and depressing to have to explain my situation to people, so instead I just don't talk about it and get even more down. I recently lost my job one week after my manager told me how well I was doing. I live by myself. I am supposed to be happy right now! I am getting married in 3 months! I feel so terrible for feeling this down, and I just don't know what to do anymore. Yes, I know there are anti-depressants out there, but I just feel like I should be able to beat this without a lot of help
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Board. Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.

Why do you think you should be able to get well without help? Depression is a disease.
    It generally responds to treatment. If you had diabetes, would you take insulin?
    If you broke your arm, would you see a doctor to have it set?

There are lots of things depressed people can do to get better: therapy, medication,
    12 step groups, hospitalization, vitamins, self help books, etc.

When I was your age I was a depressed college student too. I am much better today,
    but it took a lot of help and a lot of work on my part.

I suggest: you see a psychiatrist; read Feeling Good by David Burns; take vitamin
    D3 and try the vitamin B12 patch; try a 12 step group like Emotions Anonymous.

What about this inflammation? Is it cleared up? I don't understand the comment about
    more inflammation than normal. Do normal people have inflammation?

I also suggest you think about postponing your wedding. Getting married when you
    are in a depressed state seems highly risky to me.

There is no reason why you should feel guilty because you are ill. I hope you
    will open yourself up to some new ideas and experiences. Good luck.

Rock
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I am sorry you are going through this. Pain can cause depression or increase depression that is already there.

I wanted to remind you that ProHealth does not provide any doctors on this site, so you are getting suggestions from regular people who are members here. You ultimately have to make decisions based on what you decide is best for you.

Personally, I would get copies of the records from Mayo to find out exactly what they wrote in their reports about you and see what the results of test and blood lab work. And I'm hoping they did blood work and tests. Sometimes they can say one thing to your face and another in their file report. See if their reports think it is depression or whether it is potentially something else.

It might be a suggestion to take the med records (which should state the inflammation) and see a Rheumatologist to see if that person can figure out the inflammation which can happen with many ailments involving the immune system and the skeleton system--they are familiar with both.

I'm hoping that somehow you can get someone to figure out your situation. Good luck and hugs.

[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2010]
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

If I were you, I would strongly consider the possibility that one or more chronic undetected infections could be responsible for your pain and depression.

Bartonella is one possibility. Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme) is another. Many people have both.

99% of Dr's do not know how to recognize, diagnose or treat these chronic infections properly.

The Dr's often depend on only a lab test to rule these infections out. They see a negative result and say you don't have that infection....which is wrong.

Here is some important information...

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

symptom list is on pages 9-11....coinfection symptom info for Bartonella, etc is on pages 22-27.

Bartonella can be transmitted by cats and ticks.

It only makes sense that something caused this change in your health...and an undetected infection could be it.