I don't know why I am so tired all the time.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Sep 25, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am so frusterated with my self. I don't have a day where I don't feel so exhusted that my eye's will want to close and I have to fight to keep them open. I will be laying on the couch reading my book and I am not really laying down but reclining so that I can put my feet up and suddenly my body jerks and I am startle awake and I didn't know I had gone to sleep.

I have been struggling with this delima. Why am I so sleepy?
    I have days where I have to take my Mom to the doctor and run errands and it is hours before I get to take my pain meds and often I miss the time by several hours and then I really hurt so badly that it takes my Brakthru and my long acting medication to ease my pain.

During the day I try to stay on a schedule to take my pain meds and it does not always work this way as things come up. But I will come home and rest and before you know it I am snoring and wake my self up or just as I realax my body jumps and startles me and hurts like heck.

I have been charting what times of day I get this sleepy feeling and it is usually about 3 pm and then 7 pm and I get so tired that it is a FIGHT to stay awake why is this happening to me?

As I have looked at the times I am sleepy it is all at the same time, the only difference is sometimes I have been out and about and yet other times I have not done so much and I am still falling alseep and having my muscles jump and startle me causeing me more pain.

I have not changed my routine that much. But I still am so tried right now that I have to fight to keep my eye's open while I am typing or you wouild not be albe to read this post.

What is going on with me? Am I not doing something that I should do? I try to keep my self on a schedule for my meds and yet I do have days when it is not possiable to take them.

I am trying to remember to take my meds on time and to be home and not over doing int so much but still I have these bouts of sleepiness that I have no control over.

Why is this happening to me and what is it that I am doing wrong?

So tired and struggeling to stay awake. Even now.
    Thanks,Rosemarie
  2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi Rosemarie,

So sorry you are sooooo sleepy. My guess is that those of us with this DD never get our bodies into that realm of deep sleep that we need to help our bodies recover from the days activities. That's what my nurse practitioner told me. Seriously, I never, ever wake up refreshed anymore. Not in years. I am always tired in the morning. Sometimes I get a late morning burst of energy, only to come crashing down in the afternoon, same as you.

I don't like taking big pills, so I limit myself as to how many meds I will take. She did recommend Enzymatic Therapy Sleep Revitalizing Formula. It is a natural remedy, you can buy them at the Vitamin Shoppe. But ask your doctor what he/she thinks, I never like to recommend anything unless someone asks their doctor first. I don't take them because they are too big for me, but my husband does and he says they have helped him. My NP said it is vital that we get deep, undisturbed sleep or we will never feel good. I am going to look for a different natural supplement (smaller). I am going natural because I have small children and I don't want sleeping pills that are going to completely knock me out.

Have you seen your doctor lately about the extreme fatique. Are you getting bloodwork and check ups regularly, just in case something else is going on? Let me know. Hope you have a better night! Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2006]
  3. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I have found that eating high carbs, sugar make me tired.
    I think your blood sugar could be taking a dive.

I have also found a good vitamin supplement helps. Have you tried the Fibro Complete Multi Vit?

If you are menopausal getting HRT can help you sleep at night which helps you during the day.

Good Luck. It's hard to function when you're falling asleep.
  4. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

It seems when I have a lot of stress I tend to get more sleepy,can't stay awake.I would even fall asleep driving.

I too believe that if we don't get the deep sleep we need it catches up with us.

I was also tested for sleep apnea.I have it and sleep with a c-pap at night .It really helps me feel better and gives me a deeped sleep.I have a lot more energy when I use it.
  5. Summit

Summit New Member

While I empathize your situation, I also envy it. No matter how exhausted I am lately, I cannot sleep. And never feel rested. Do you keep to a regular sleep schedule? Cause afternoon napping, may feel great, but then you can't sleep at night. Maybe try excercising at those sleepy times during the day. I think it's natural for people to get sleepy at a time in the afternoon for a while. Personally, if I eat I feel sleepy for awhile afterwards (not enough to sleep, just to feel sluggish) good luck to you! Take a few zz's for me will ya, LOL
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Rosemarie,

I went through this same thing; I would fall asleep sitting at the computer, sitting in my chair, even standing up and almost falling and catching myself. Some close calls there. Just like you, my body was jump and I would wake up. Gee, I would give out of breath just carrying on a conversation with anyone; like I was gasping for breath just to talk. A terrible feeling, indeed.

Anyway, I went to my dr. and had my bloodwork done. My hemoglobin was very low and was put on iron med for a month and after about 2 weeks, I couldn't believe the difference. It wss amazing!!! I had my energy back; I could stay on the computer a little longer.

What had happened was that it took a long time to get as bad as I was; a very gradual thing. So, I didn't know anything was wrong; thought I needed some vitamins.

Hope you find out what the problem is. I know that I have fatigue but this was much, much worse.

Take care,

BlueSky555
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

Me, too!!! I sleep about 9 to 10 hours a night and usually get incredibly sleepy around 2 or 3 pm and again around 6 or 7 pm. I can usually fight off the 7 pm sleepies, but often end up taking a nap in the afternoon. I've had this problem for the last 16 months.

Just got a definite diagnosis of FM last Friday, but it appears I have also had reactivated epstein barr...i'm wondering if that's what has been going on for the last year.

By the way, I have NOT anemic...nothing close to it.

TerryS
  8. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

to one of the major struggles of CFS and FMS.

Lately, for weeks actually, I have been getting worse and worse myself. I can barely function. I cant concentrate and no matter how little or alot of rest I get Im exhuasted all the time.

For me I think the change of season has ALOT to dow ith it. When Winter arrives Im like a bear ready to hibernate....I dont want to do anything but sleep sleep sleep.

When April comes I get bursts of energy....although the past two springs I have noticed that burst is getting less and less.

I alwasy get scared eventaully I wont be able to get out of bed and function at all.

Hang in there. Wish I had advice. Im looking for a fix myself and cant seem to find one. Coffee no longer gives me my morning "high" and burst of energy...I always relied on that...now it no longer helps.

HUGS 2 u

9. Empower

Empower New Member

1. The meds you are taking. Even Motrin makes me sleepy!

2. The food that you are eating. I have noticed that if I eat something with preservatives like Cereal or Pudding, I get really tired.

3. Hypoglycemia - I am hypoglycemic and I get sleepy after meals. I noticed the times that you said 3 & 7, those are classic times for your blood sugar to drop, a couple hours after a main meal. You can get a cheap blood sugar meter and check your blood sugar yourself. It is well worth the money.

4. Sleep apnea. A friend of mine was falling asleep throughout the day, and went for a sleep study and found he had severe sleep apnea!
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

It sounds like a couple of things .If you are finding that you get tired at the same time everyday talk to your Doctor you may be having a sugar problem. There may be something you can add to your diet to give you a pick me up during that time of Day.

I also have CFS/FM and am tired all the time. I finly realized I do not rest properly. Not real rest. You need real quiet no noise rest even during the day.I have to tell myself its ok and not feel guilty about taking time to rest.I'll feel like an exhaustion just comes over me like a wind just blows into me. That is my CFS and resting helps it but doesnt take it away.

Get a good physical to be sure there isnt another health problem going on.If everything comes back ok, you will just have to learn how to rest better and take better care of you ,your worth it.

I also wanted to add that when we have change of weather or seasons I seem to have to re-adjust my ways of resting ,eating and I need to just be more awear of what will make me tired.
    I drink alot of herbal white and green teas in the fall and winter.During the afternoon.I hope this helps you.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]