I don't sweat --- Will detox baths still work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I don't sweat. I overheat. It has always been a problem for me. It's a faulty cooling system. I will occasionally get damp underarms if I'm REALLY hot. Or I may get sweaty legs if I'm wearing shorts and sitting on a hot vinyl carseat (ick, I know), but that's it.

I used to be fairly athletic and played volleyball, softball, racquetball, etc. I would always get red and splotchy and feel like I was going to pass out. But no sweating.

After I figured out the lack of sweating thing, I learned to have a spritz bottle of water nearby to cool myself down.

I grew up on a lake and whenever I was hot during the summer, I would literally just jump in the lake. Instant cool down.

So my question is - Will a detox bath work on a non-sweater like me???

BTW - I have just started using detox foot pads to try to pull gunk out through my feet, but that's for another post.

Also, are there any other non-sweaters out there??

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  2. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I don't sweat either. It doesn't take much for me to overheat. I can't even take a very hot bath because I just get very red faced & feel very weak.

I went to a spa once which included one of those hot mud baths. When I got out of the bath, they had to put me in a cool room with a fan on me, along with cool rags. I finally cooled off enough to finish my spa treatment, but am afraid to try that again.

I can't do anything outside because of it.

Marilyn
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Every time I've gone into a sauna, I thought I was going to die! Talk about overheating! Everyone else was sweating buckets, and I just sat there dry as a bone, but very very HOT and red all over! I felt so sick afterwards.

How are we supposed to get rid of toxins?? Thank goodness my digestive tract is in better shape than it was!
  4. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I remember reading this in the book Detoxify or Die, by Sherry Rogers, M.D. I think it had to do with Pesticides. I will look for it and get back with you.

Hugs,

skierchik
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out!
  6. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I can't find exactly where she talks about people with pesticide poisoning who can't sweat and tend to get red and overheat. I will keep looking, however; I went to the section where she talks about the importance of sweating.

She highly recommends that her clients do Far Infrared Sauna's (FIR). She says that even people with congestive heart failure (they really can't take heat) can tolerate FIR saunas. She states that the FIRS was not only well tolerated by those patients, but it got rid of so many of the underlying chemical triggers of congestive heart failure (chf) that those that were really sick actually reversed and improved enough to get rid of some of their meds.

She mentions that her own autonomic nervous system became damaged due to the spraying of herbicides on her farm. She would become overheated, red and not sweat. She couldn't tolerate regular saunas.

She says "many people experience this because of a damaged autonomic nervous system, especially those with multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic fatigue, MS and fibromyalgia. According to her the answer is Far Infrared Sauna. She says it's..."far safer and infinitely more tolerable, because it uses a heat energy that penetrates tissues, triggering mobilization of chemicals from subcutaneous fat storage(hooray), directly into the sweat. This activating penetration allows for a much lower overall temperature to be used, one that is enjoyable and not torture".

You might want to look into purchasing her book. It's really interesting and informative. It's "Detoxify or Die, by Sherry A. Rogers, M.D.

I am currently looking into buying one because my doctor suggested it. I have CFS/FM. We think it's from toxins...mainly mercury ( & other metals) and pesticides/herbicides.

You might have seen the recent post titled Far Infrared Saunas...I wanted to talk with people who have them. I've been doing a lot of research on them. I can't tolerate heat, so the great thing is....is that they really make you sweat at very low temps. YEH!!

Regarding the bathes....I wouldn't take hot ones until you can start to sweat. Have you been doing "a detox cocktail" or some type of detox protocol???? If, not, you really need to. You can look up my name, skierchik, because I have posted the "Honey-Glutathione" protocol my doc gave me. This will help you. Start this first and see how you do. You most likely will need to supplement with lots of antioxidants as you detox. Are you currently taking any??

Hope this helps, hugs,

skierchik
  7. skierchik

skierchik New Member

bump for twinma
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Wow! You really packed alot of good info into one post!

I have just put in a request to the library for the book "Detoxify or Die". It sounds interesting. I should get it in the next week or so.

The Far Infrared Saunas sound intriguing. Unfortunately, they are too costly and I don't have room for one. I'm still confused on those, though. Are you saying a person who doesn't sweat in a regular sauna WILL sweat in an FIR?

I printed out the thread started by Paracelsus on FIRs dated 3/5/06. Lots of good info in there. I'll be interested to hear which one you buy (if you buy one) and what you think of it. Please continue to post on your findings.

Your post on rebuilding intestinal mucosa is also packed full of good stuff. Printed that one, too. Does the Butter-EVOO mix replace taking a probiotic on its own? The Honey-Glutathione sounds do-able for me. Have you found any particular brand of ascorbic acid or bioflavinoids that you think fits the bill?

I've been going slowly in terms of what I am doing to detox myself right now. I've been taking 1 T aloe & 1 T lemon juice every morning for the past 6 months. I started Stormy's shake 5 months ago. I started including Ultimate Greens (green food supplement) in with the shake 4 months ago.

I feel like those things have really helped my GI tract. I no longer have constipation (yippee!), and feel like things move through my gut in a much healthier way.

I also take probiotics (Jarro-Dophilus), 1 capsule per day.

The other detox thing I just started last Friday (4 days ago) is wearing detox foot pads at nighttime. They supposedly pull toxins out through your feet. It's too early to tell if they are really doing anything so far. I found them online at healthmarvels.net. Karatelady52 recommended them. A lot of Lyme people use them.

The pads are sure dark brown and gunky looking when I pull them off my feet in the morning, but I'm not sure that's really toxins I'm seeing (call me skeptical!).

As far as antioxidants I am taking, I take Vit E & Vit C. I also take Fish Oil, but I'm not sure if that's considered an antioxidant.

I'm still going to try the detox bath and see how I do. It's just hard to fit it in! I have the epsom salts and I have a bathtub, so I just need to do it!

I really do think I am carrying a high toxic load. The fact that I don't sweat says alot. I can't excrete toxins through my sweat.

I've been taking Milk Thistle and Dandelion to help clean up my liver. That way, at least my liver will be working better to help with detoxing.

Thanks for all your great information!

9. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Lots of great ?'s, so I will take one by one. First of all, I am so glad you'll be reading Detoxify or Die. I think it will clear some things up for you.

Regarding the FIR's, people who can't sweat, will be able to do so with the FIR according to Dr. Rogers' book. And it is safer because the temp is much lower. However; there are certain supplements you have to be taking to make it safe. First of all, she has a Detox Coctail, very similar to what my doc has me doing (honey-glutathione). So I would start this right away. Just so you know, I'm not following Dr. Rogers' protocol, I following my docs, but you can do either one. I just saw my doc yesterday and I asked him if he preferred one sauna over the other. He says he hasn't looked into them, but is going to buy one himself. I reviewed all the info I had on these saunas and he copies the Heavenly Heat info. His good friend has one and he will find out which one he bought (he's a doc too). My doc is going to try to get me a discount. He's the best!! I will let you know what happens with that.

Do you have a good vitamin/natural store to go to or do you prefer ordering online?

Regarding your ? about rebuilding the intestinal mucosa. I do not have to take any extra other than what's in the concoction, at this time.

The Honey-Glutathione will be very good for you!! The glutathione is very critical. It must be in "reduced" form. You can do this twice a day if you want. I like Carlson's brand of Ascorbic Acid. There's nothing else in it. I use Nature's Plus bioflavanoid. Biochem, Nutricology, Solgar are good too.

The aloe and lemon juice is fine if it doesn't bother you. I do the Shake too, but I like to have an organic egg with whole grain spelt toast too (for breakfast) some days. My doc is wanting to make sure I have enough protein due to my low protein serum count. The greens are great for detoxing, drink as much as you can. Flush, flush, flush and it makes you more alkaline! I guarantee you are too acidic. Don't worry, we all are. That's so great that your poops are good because that's one way to get rid of toxins...way to go!

Jarrow is an excellent brand for probiotics or anything else. I want to recommend their Selenium. You need this included in your routine. I take 3 to 5 per day.

I have used the detox pads. I love them!! Got great results too. I am out right now. Please keep doing them everynight until you start to see the gunk lessen. I bought them from www.essencepalace.com if you want to compare. Then you can maintain at twice a week, unless you feel worse than do them every day again. I felt a pretty big difference while on them, so you might too.

You can try the bathes, just don't make it too hot and be sure to take some antioxidants afterwards. I will give you some suggestions. But go ahead and try it and maybe you'll sweat a little.

Milk thistle and dandelion are ok, but they are bandaids to a gushing wound. Does that make sense. Here's what I would suggest in the way of "antioxidants". Some of these are a must by my doc.

Selenium a must(mentioned earlier). Chelated Magnesium by Solgar or other brand a must. Start with 800mg. If you get muscle tightness as you detox, then increase slowly until you feel better. Kyolic is a great garlic per Dr. Rogers' book. I was already on it. It has so many great qualities, I can't list all, but you can look up my posts. Take 3 caps, 3 times per day. I like the Kyolic #102, there are many to choose from. Alpha Lipoic Acid is another must per my doc and Dr. Rogers. I buy Natural Factors, but Biochem is a good one too. I take it 3 times per day (200mg caps). Glutathione is very, very important for you and againn it must be in "reduced" form. You'll be taking it in the honey protocol.

Well, that's it for now...hope this is helpful to you. I think you'll be on the right track.

Just to let you know, that since I've been doing this, I do feel alot better!!! However, it has interrupted my sleep somewhat...but it's worth it. I can't really explain it, but even though I don't sleep as well (the toxins coming out of storage), I feel greater energy.

hugs to you, Katy!

Skierchik
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2006]
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks skierchik!

I think I will do the Honey-Glutathione detox. Not many ingredients, and it sounds relatively painless.

I'll have to make a trip to Whole Foods to get Glutathione, Ascorbic Acid, Bioflavanoid, Selenium and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I'm already taking two separate supplements with magnesium in them. I'll have to check the mgs. Does it matter if it is chelated or not? I've never taken selenium or alpha lipoic acid. Any weird things to watch for with them?

I was taking garlic until last week. I'm on a break from it for a couple of weeks per Stormy's advice. Give it a break so it will work better when I start it back up.

It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get everything together, so then I'll be good to start the garlic again as well as the Honey-Glutathione.

I love the idea of continuing to clean out my system! Looking forward to reading the Detoxify or Die book, too!

Thanks for sharing such good info!

11. skierchik

skierchik New Member

And you're welcome. My doc specifically wanted me to buy the chelated mag. I think because it absorbs faster and as you use the honey-glutathione mixture, you will need a fast absorbing magnesium. More than once, I got a weird, tight and rigid feeling in my muscles. Once I took the magnesium it went away. Now, I am very careful to make sure I am taking it throughout the day as he advised.

It sounds like you got a good deal on your detox pads. I haven't bought them for a few months, so maybe essencepalace.com isn't the least expensive anymore. When I get ready to buy, I will check your website out too.

You could always call around to see if a spa or wellness center has a FIR for you to try. This will definitely accelerate your detox, but according to my doc, it has to be done SLOWLY. I'm sure he will write a protocol for me when it's time. I will share this with you.

take care,

skierchik
  12. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Hi Skier and Katy:

I'm going for a FIR sauna tomorrow morning. If it's like a steam sauna I won't last.

Skier, how long do you stay in the sauna? I'm trying to hit these bugs at every angle and I know they don't like heat so I'll sweat them out!!

13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

How did your FIR sauna appt go?
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Could you see if I have this correct?

SHOPPING LIST

Honey-Glutathione Detox:

Glutathione, sublingual, reduced form (Source Naturals)
    Honey - raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized
    Ascorbic Acid (Carlson’s)
    Bioflavinoids (Nature’s Plus, Biochem, Nutricology, Solgar)

Antioxidants & other things to take when doing Honey-Glutathione Detox:

Selenium (Jarrow) (3-5/day)
    Chelated Magnesium (Solgar) (start with 800 mg, increase as needed)
    Garlic (Kyolic #102) (3 caps, 3X/day)
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg caps, Natural Factors, Biochem) (3X/day)

PROCEDURE
    Honey-Glutathione Detox
    Do Upon Arising:
    1. Glutathione 200mg under tongue
    2. 1 tsp honey (raw, unfiltered), let liquefy in mouth, then swallow it (5-10 min)
    3. 8 oz. water to wash down:
    4. 2000 mg Ascorbic Acid
    5. 1000 mg Bioflavinoids
    6. lemon in water, if desired
  15. skierchik

skierchik New Member

If you're a non-sweater to the extreme, please make sure that it's a FIR that you're going to and not a regular sauna...you'll be miserable. It can be dangerous due to the high heat.

If you're going to a FIR and you're still a non-sweater than there are some precautions you have to take. First of all, hydrate before, while your there, and after. The key is to go slowly. Hopefully, you are able to do a series of them.

You have to make sure that your detoxification pathways are strong enough to handle the exra burden of chemicals that will be coming out of storage. Antioxidants, and the honey-glutathione protocol are a must if you're one of those people. I would start out very slow as far as how long you stay in there, but I don't know your situation, so it's hard to say. I like to "error" on the side of caution.

A healthy person could go for an hour and turn it up to 115 degrees, but I am assuming that's not the case and that you're somewhere in the middle.

Before going in, I would take in lots of water with Alpha Lipoic Acid, Magnesium (100-300 mg for every hour of sweat)this is the most important, Multiple Minerals by Carlson or some other mineral, Tri-Salts by Bio-Tech and a Zinc Balance by Jarrow. This is what the book suggests. Then follow up with the Honey-Glutathione protocol after and more minerals somewhere around 12 hours later.

The author of this book is being very cautious as you can see, but I would at least do the protocol and take some mag. and other antioxidants before and after. Just do what you can. If you start to feel nauseous, then you know you're releasing toxins and to get out.

Hope it goes well...let us know.

Hugs,

skierchik
  16. skierchik

skierchik New Member

You got it pretty good!! The only thing I should add is if you can't find the Source Naturals Glutathione, than get whatever is "reduced" in a capsule form and then you can open the capsule and put it under your tongue (200mg). I am doing this now twice a day per my docs request. Source Naturals wasn't available so I bought Now brand.

Don't forget the Colostrum if your doing the mucosa repair. Can't remember if you're doing that one too. In that case you need organic butter, olive oil, colostrum, probiotic, Glutamine (I like Jarrow's) and Zinc Carnosine (also by Jarrow).

I think you're good to go!

Keep in touch, hugs,

skierchik