I don't think these diseases are genetic..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Sep 9, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

My personal opinion only..I don't see my parents or grandparents having the multiple stressors we have to endure. Yes, they had strains. Perhaps I'm being selfish in thinking nothing they endured was this complex or hellish. I believe we've just reached the upper limits of human tolerance in pain. (I also believe they're estrogen/progesterone connected - yeah, guys also have these hormones but to a lesser degree). Physical, emotional, chemical, financial. Especially the media contributes. We're not this, or not enough that enough. I'm 55 and I remember I was in high school when Master Card was developed. So 40 years ago there wasn't even worry about how to pay the credit cards. You bought two ways, cash or lay-a-way. You either had or did without. There was no interstate system either. Very few people traveled distances they do today. Certainly no one commuted before then. The average home was less than 900 sq ft. Today it's approaching 3000 sq. ft. Our kids don't exercise, they live for computers or video games. Most people work full-time or even two jobs. Some have to add school to that. Things keep getting worse.

I live in a tourist area. 20 years ago they came for the quiet of the north woods. Now they come for the noise, gambling, and water parks. No one takes time to just sit and be quiet anymore. Ever striving, always worried, pushing, shoving, yelling, road-rage. What has society begotten in search of a "better life". Have we reached our limits. I know I have. A couple of more financial burdens to solve and simplification of my life will be completed. Home made bread, anyone?
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

My personal opinion only..I don't see my parents or grandparents having the multiple stressors we have to endure. Yes, they had strains. Perhaps I'm being selfish in thinking nothing they endured was this complex or hellish. I believe we've just reached the upper limits of human tolerance in pain. (I also believe they're estrogen/progesterone connected - yeah, guys also have these hormones but to a lesser degree). Physical, emotional, chemical, financial. Especially the media contributes. We're not this, or not enough that enough. I'm 55 and I remember I was in high school when Master Card was developed. So 40 years ago there wasn't even worry about how to pay the credit cards. You bought two ways, cash or lay-a-way. You either had or did without. There was no interstate system either. Very few people traveled distances they do today. Certainly no one commuted before then. The average home was less than 900 sq ft. Today it's approaching 3000 sq. ft. Our kids don't exercise, they live for computers or video games. Most people work full-time or even two jobs. Some have to add school to that. Things keep getting worse.

I live in a tourist area. 20 years ago they came for the quiet of the north woods. Now they come for the noise, gambling, and water parks. No one takes time to just sit and be quiet anymore. Ever striving, always worried, pushing, shoving, yelling, road-rage. What has society begotten in search of a "better life". Have we reached our limits. I know I have. A couple of more financial burdens to solve and simplification of my life will be completed. Home made bread, anyone?
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

to a certain point. My reason is that my Grandmother had it, my Mom had it and all the siblings have it. We all go to different Dr.s' and live in different parts of Ca and one Sister is still in Oregon.

We also had a terrible, stressful childhood, raised in Poverty, but kept togeather as a family because of my Mom.

We all also have different co-exisiting conditions, my one brother that lives in SanDiego, has Anklosing Spondilitis, which has similiar symptoms.

We all have DDD, OA,, then some of us have Hepitis C, Cancer, Herpes, MPS, IBS MVP, etc.

So I think probably there is some sort of relationship in our being born with a Gene that goes haywire, some of us are worse than others, and some of us can still have a life, not what it use to be, but we keep on Trucking,

Stress, was always with us, worring about the Rent, Food, Clothing, when your in a Large family thoes things are foremost in your mind.

Anyway just my opinion, but if it is a gene, I feel that we do have a Hope for a cure or at least a better way of living with our Syndromes, and I sure hope it's soon.

Nice to meet you Contessa, can't wait to read others take on this idea. They are working on a Project now to see if there's a connection.

Have a Great Day,
    kredca4
  4. ruthiepie

ruthiepie New Member

AMEN........
  5. selma

selma New Member

with Cred.. and Jelly. ther are many autoimm. diseases in our fam. and I was Dx with fibrocitis/Fm about 17 yrs ago.

We need more research on this.

Any chance Jaimy will do it????

Love, Selma
  6. lilrascal

lilrascal New Member

...there is definately a genetic link. That doesn't mean others who don't have that genetic link can't get it, it just means we have one more strike against us in trying to fight it off.
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

One of my Dr's told me it used to be called "rheumatism" so that is the word I used while explaining it to my Grandma, I figured she could probably relate to that and she could, years ago people who had rheumatism just laid around all the time & hurt, sounds right.

Jaci
  8. clueless

clueless New Member

As I look back my father had a terrible time with pain in his legs and feet.He had to wear soft shoes in the summer and what they called "pacs" in rubber boots in the winter. He was terribly ill before they found out his thyroid gland was destroyed. My Mom had thyroid problems, had to have a goiter removed. My brother had rheumatoid arthritus and passed away with it at 50 yrs. old.I have Hashimotoes and fibro. and what looks like peripheral neuropathy.It looks like there is a definite link in our family and I am hoping and praying that our only living child "a daughter" does not start showing any signs of it.My doctor told me many years ago that he was sure I had an autoimmune disease but did not know what it could be.I surely wish our doctors of today would feel that way and really study and try and figure out the answers instead of denying the disease. I am sorry to say that many of them find it easier to go in that direction. They allow about 15min. per visit and we are too complicated to fit into that time frame.
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

at least in my family it is. My Grandmother on my Mom's side had it, My mother had it, I have it and my daughter has it. Also my Father's Mother had Rheumatism, which I believe is what they use to call FM. Also, maybe off subject here but I definitely do not believe that it goes away with age as one of my doctor's told me several years ago. With each year (actually with each day) I feel it is progressively getting worse for me.

Dara