I don't want to; I don't want to; I don't want to; I don't want t

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petesdragon, Nov 22, 2006.

1. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I'm supposed to take 8 weeks of 2x week aquatic therapy. When I walk too much I get knots in my legs and they think this will help. I decided a few years ago I never would have to go on sandy beaches or in the water again. I am 63 years old for heaven's sake. I hate the messy sand and am afraid of the water; when it gets shoulder high I panic No one in my biologic family could swim including me. I even took swimming in college and flunked.

I took a water exercise class several years ago. The teacher didn't know what we should be doing. The plastic bleach bottles of water hurt my arms so I used a "noodle". When I got out of the heated pool the cold dressing room seized up all my muscles.

Now two doctors have been on my case to do this and one actually had me signed up before I knew it. It would mean two more trips to town (24 miles roundtrip); getting dressed and undressed and redressed and having the energy to do other errands (when I will be tired) because of the high gas prices.I don't know if medicare will pay for this.

I went to talk to the therapist at 4:30 yesterday as instructed. No one was at the admitting desk so I went down to the rehab area --I can't find my way out of a bushel basket and this is a huge facility. They told me to find my way back up to admitting. I finally found someone to admit me but then rehab called and told me to come back another day. I am taking this as a sign I shouldn't go back.

I promise I will walk; I promise I will walk; I promise I will walk. What would you do?

[This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Oh, it seem to be the "hip" thing to do, ask patients to do this water aerobics thing. I won't go either, and it is just not suitable for everyone. It's supposed to be relaxing, not unpleasant.

These docs need to know that you and water never got along well during your past 63 years, and that you are willing to discuss alternative ways to handle your care. We can't be lumpted into "one size fits all". Don't feel bad,and don't feel pressured!
  3. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I hate the way docs always go on and on about something when it patently does NOT suit the patient for whatever reason. I don't go swimming in mixed (co-ed) facilities for religious reasons but doctors are forever telling to swim to lose weight! Gah!!

At least my new-ish family doc knows where I am coming from on that score.

Can't they get their heads around the fact that one-size does NOT fit all?

I hope you find some suitable alternative that will bring you the relief you need. Good luck. :)
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Petesdragon:

Sure, why not? Just head back there the next time.
    We all make mistakes.

nyrofan
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

It sounds like you don't want to go! To get your doctor off your back and to see if it will help, maybe you should go to just one class. Do you take tub baths ever? Do they help at all?

If you have a bathtub at home, go to one class (don't prepay for a bunch of classes!) and then just do the exercises in your tub at home. Tell them you're just too uncomfortable being in the water. Almost everyone who can't swim is uncomfortable in the water. And since you're ill, too, it's just something you can't be bothered to force yourself to do.

Or you can forget the classes and get a yoga bathtub book like "The Bathtub Yoga & Relaxation Book: Yoga in the Bath for Energy, Vitality & Pleasure".

I wish you luck!
    karen
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think it's hard enough being sick without being _forced_ to do things that no one is sure are going to be good for us.

I agree that you've got to give to get, but in the end you have to decide what's best for you.
  7. caffey

caffey New Member

Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want to do. If you are able to get into a tub there is a gadget you can buy that clips on the side of the tub that makes it like a mini whirlpool. I love it. All the best.
    Cath
  8. bmadan

bmadan New Member

I would say, to at least check out the facility, make the therapist aware of your fears and concerns and then possibly try it out once or twice and if it isn't for you, then you at least tried and can rule it out as a course of treatment for you.

I couldn't use the gym at the local community college or old gym because it is way too cold, but I recently joined this new gym that is run by one of the hospital systems here in town and they are specificly designed for people like us. The pool is a warm water therapy pool, not deep at all, and both the pool area and changing area are kept warm. Maybe you can find an therapy center like this that will make it easier for you to try.

Good Luck,
    Barbara
  9. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I would assume this facility also has a hot tub. Ask them why you couldn't use that. Same principle relieves the stress on your muscles and releives the tension, is probably at age 63 less stressful on joints and bones that don't need to be overstressed any more. And you don't have to shower after and get cold or at least if you preferred to shower it would be closer.

I live in a rural area and my trigger point massage therapist let me know about a lady in the area that had FM and purchased a hot tub for this reason. He told me this because out of the kindness of her heart she lets others with FM come to use it for free. Wow!!

You take care and always do what you think is right for you.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

don't go. Try some of the suggestions here.

I have been pressured by my doctors and by friends with CFS/FM to do yoga. I don't like yoga. I have tried it and it is just not for me. It seems to be great for some people but not for me. And if we really don't like something, we just won't keep it up.

On the other hand, I really like the Arthritis AquaFit. I registered for 2 classes per week in the warm water pool and only go to one. The Tuesday instructor gives a great class for me - lots of upper body work. The Thursday class is just too hard on my back. She tries to modify the exercises for me but her class is mostly leg work and I can't do it.

So I have paid for all these Thursday classes that I can't take. As someone else recommended, don't pay for a bunch of classes unless you know that it is what you want and that you will go.

I'm the baby of the class at 58. Most of the ladies are over 75. There are no men in the class. It is set up for disabled people and we get to go in the whirlpool (huge hot tub) at the end of the class and do a few stretching exercises and socialize.

I am hot all the time and I think that what I like best about these exercises is that you feel cool the whole time and don't get sweaty.

I would suggest you try one or two classes and see if you dislike it as much as you remember. I do know that it is helping me and has helped most of the ladies in the class I take. Many of them have taken these classes for years.

But if you really hate it as much as you seem to, you should try something else. Just IMHO.

Pepper

11. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I agree with you. I can't imagine getting dressed/undressed so many times in one day. That would do me in.

And if you have never been a swimmer I certainly understand how you would feel getting in a pool.

Hoping your doctors will listen better,
    Susan07
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Hi!

I know it has been a few days since you posted this but I wanted to say I agree with you 100% and I am a person who likes to swim...well I should say I used to like to swim in my younger days.

The Docs made me go to a Physical Therapist a few years back for water therapy and the time I was actually in the pool was fabulous and even if you can't swim it would be fine (at least where I went) but the minute you get out and hit that cold air your muscles are sooooooooo tense, then it is out into the cold air with wet hair, the drive time, the stress of knowing you "have to go to an appointment" when you don't even feel like going out to get the mail...personally I say if you don't want to go then just don't go.

Explain to your Dr's that you would rather do some simple stretches at home...I know I am going to check out the book on bathtub yoga.

Hope you find some peace with your decision!
    Karen
  13. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I was Rx to do water therapy about 6 mths ago.
    I refused, down right, put my foot down..NO!

I told them, that the simplicity of getting undressed,is painful, yes the warm water would help, but what's the sense, if the minute I'm out, my muscles tense right back up, from the cold? Sometimes worse than what I started!

That taking a shower everyday is a chore, because of this same reason, If I weigh it, a few minutes of breif relief, not even total relief, is not worth it, compared to the pain I will be in after doing all I have to do to get the relief!
    Did that make sense...lol!

Long story short, they backed off. I was insistent! Right down to I am not going to stress myself out trying to find a bathing suit, then embrassement because of the bathing suit, etc..etc.. for such limited, little releif!

Stick to your guns!

Kathy Z
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I was told to do this to. I do not like water I do not swim either.I cant get out on a daily bases I just cant go somewhere and use a pool .I think this is just a way they are brushing off out problems.
  15. sascha

sascha Member

and that is, your system just doesn't think it's a good idea.

when everything in you is saying "NO NO NO!!" i think that's your answer.

maybe you can find an alternative- best of luck, sascha
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You don't think it's right for you, so don't do it.

I used to have one of those bathtub jacuzzi gadgets that is sort of like a reverse vacuum cleaner. Blows air out. Bubbles in the tub. It was very soothing.

Only problem was it was even noisier than a v. cleaner.
  17. desertlass

desertlass New Member

I will chime in with the others that you should listen to your own intincts. I was prescribed water therapy for a bad back, and it was too much for me, then. By the time I got to the rehab hospital, walked to the pool, changed in a freezing cold bathroom, minced around in tepid water, then tried to keep from slippping on the tile floor or soggy mats in the same freezing room with those miniscule hospital towels, I felt like any benefit that might have happened in the water was all undone by the cold which made me feel like a stone statue the next day.

But, if you are going to listen to yourself and go by that, then remember that your self also heard you promise that you would walk. Just make sure that you are promising something to yourself that you can realistically do, or your body will know you're just saying something to please the doctor or others.

The last thing any of us need is something we resent doing. There are so many good choices for how to move one's body-- I don't see the sense in forcing something unpleasant. I wish doctors and physical therapists would find out what we already do that no one has to urge us to do-- and then teach us how to expand on that.

Lisette