I dread going to the grocery store

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

When I go grocery shopping, I try to stick to 12 items or less, so I can go through the quick check out. By the time I get up to the front, after walking the whole store, the quick check out is backed up. My legs are sore, by the time I get to a line, I just want it to go quick. I have to unload the cart, load the carriage, unload the carriage, then bring it in the house. By the time I get home and done, I am so sore and tired. Does any one else have this kind of experience?

Take Care!!! SB
  2. crossword

crossword New Member

use the electric cart and WOW it makes all the difference in the world. I'm not wiped out anymore when I get to the check stand.
  3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I just got home from the grocery store, and found this post. LOL. I also buy just a few items when I shop. Because of an orthostatic intolerance problem. I can't stay up on my feet long, and if I make it to the checkout ok, I usually get to feeling really bad standing in line, and if I had to stand too long I feel like I'm going to pass out. I try to get one of those carts to ride on, but they're not always available, and I feel strange on one, because I don't look like I need it. I know I shouldn't worry about what others think, but it's hard for me not too. I also have a problem when I'm in a fibro flair with my feet.

I have had a few times that I got to feeling like I might pass out, and I had to just leave the cart sit, and get myself out to my car so I could sit down. I wonder what the person who has to put and my stuff back when that happens must think. It would be helpful if the stores would put chairs out up front to sit on if a person starts to feel bad. Meijer does this, but most don't.
    Barb

4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I, like you, dread going to get the groceries. I live about 25 min. from town and by the time I get through the store, check out, put everything in the car, drive home, unload (slowly), I don't even feel like putting them up.

I always have the cold stuff bagged separately so I can put them up and leave the rest sitting on the bar until I rest for awhile.

It's so strange how many of us have the same things in common that a "normal", meaning someone with no health issues, just can't relate to. Then I found this site and wow; soooo many things I go through that most of us here experience.

Let's ALL move to "Fibromyalgiaville" and have our own clothing, grocery, pharmacy, etc. stores built and get SPECIAL DELIVERY!

Don't we wish???

Good Post,
    Bluesky555
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

But I have adolescent girls, so getting 12 items or less to last a couple of weeks isn't going to happen :) I cannot show up at 7:30am Monday through Friday because I have to be at work then. I'm usually too pooped to get to the grocery store any earlier than 9 or 10am on a Saturday, and if I wait until 10pm on a Saturday night, alot of the items are sold out for the day, and the deli is closed.

I used to take at least a half day off per month to try to stuck up on groceries for the month, but that burned my paid time at work up. Lately, I've been making my girls go with me to the grocery store, so they can understand the struggle of making your way through a crowded store, in hopes that they'll stop eating the food up so quickly.
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Shopping is a pain!! But i like Bluesky's idea very much!!
    We could have a pool and a massuse also!! Big garden and a specialized Bakery!

A huge outdoor theater and all the other things we Dream up!!..............................Hugs~~~~ sisland
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but if you are in a position where you can't stand anymore,Ask someone to help.Customer servive would probably be the best place,Linda
  8. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

The store where I shop has a "self checkout" area where you scan your own groceries. It's no more work than picking them up out of the basket and putting them on the counter they way you have to do anyway, and there is usually no one in line. I try to get only about 20 items.

The advantage to this way of checking out is that you don't have to wait, and that means a lot to me. I get so darn tired of standing, and waiting my turn to get checked out.

If you haven't already tried this method, you might like it ( that is, unless there is a line ahead of you then there's no advantage in it).

Kinsie
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I cannot deal with the grocery store either.

I'm very fortunate that I can just order them online and have them delivered.

Sue in Ontario
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

For me, it is not only the walking, it is the lights, sounds, odors that make me feel like I've been assaulted. I use the electric cart when I need it. The other day I didn't think I'd need the cart, but half-way through my shopping I felt so awful and couldn't walk. I asked a Customer Service person to help and she brought me an electric cart and while she pushed my grocery cart, I followed her riding in the electric cart. She helped me check out.

People are usually very nice and will help if asked.

Lolalee
  11. jinlee

jinlee Member

I always go to the same chain grocery and the same checker. I got to know her and she knows about my shoulder problems and fibro and pain issues so when I am there they have a person come and put my groceries on the belt, take them to my car and then I am off. They will open a checkstand to do my groceries if they see me standing in line.

I think this started because one day shopping I had a bad day and they could tell I needed the help. Plus, I do spend bucks at their store instead of the competitor's down the street.

I try to time things so a kid or two is going to be home when I get home to unload the sacks.

You also can order online at some stores and they will deliver them into your house.

Still, I hate it and it is taxing but I guess we have to eat. I find it hard to remember what I need to get at the store, even forget to look at my list on some very foggy days!
  12. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I hate grocery day. It wipes me out. I have a husband and two kids at home so I have to go about once a week.I hate it. I make my 16 year old daughter go and help me. I still get totally exhausted, and have to go directly in and lay down for awhile when done. I haven't ever tried the power cart as I have a 2 year old I have to push around in the cart. Maybe I should make the older daughter push the 2 year old around and I should ride in a power cart? Might help, but then I think it would just take even longer.

I hate buying groceries!
    Kellyann
  13. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

The grocery store is one of the hardest things. I put it off until I just have to go. I to write lists and forget to look at them when I get there as I get so disoriented. Usually about half way through I start thinking I have to get out of the store now!!!!
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

This might sound funny but I use to love shopping by myself ,bringing them home and putting them away. I would make it one of my special things to do each week. I'd sometimes go to get my hair done look around in the department store(PX) and the go get my food.

Now I can not do any of those things at the same time. I hardly ever go to the PX or any department store. I don't go for food alone because I cant stand long either and I have trouble picking things up. that are larger then my hands or heavy.

I think every week I'm going to get my hair cut and fixed ,then I just do not go because it uses so much energy. It is painful to lean back in the sink.

And its hard to set in those chairs specially if she doesn't stay right with me and goes to answer phones or get something for another person. I cant sit that long either.

I really miss those things .I do not take anything for Granted now.

15. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Now during the week I keep a list going.On Friday morning my DH takes it with him and on his way home does the grocery shopping.

I have not been in a year he does it all.He is my Knight in shinning Armour.

Sue
  16. libra55

libra55 New Member

I go to a small grocery here in town where they will carry the bags to the car for you. I get small perishable items there. I can be in and out in twenty minutes.

My husband goes to the warehouse club and gets the big ticket, heavy items in bulk.

I also have my frozen food bagged separately so I can put it right away and let the other stuff sit until I have energy to do it. My daughters unload the car for me.

I used to do couponing but it is too much for me now.

I used to love to buy my groceries and get all sorts of fancy stuff, but now it is all I can do to procure the basics.

For a while we had a home delivery service for milk, bread, and other things but we gave it up when the prices got too high.

Ah, life's little errands.

Michelle
  17. Momofboyz

Momofboyz New Member

My husband does most of the shopping b/c my feet hurt too much and I feel like I might pass out if I stand for toolong.
    But we went to the huge hardware store and right when my husband was looking for something I found a ladder and sat down to wait. I could tell he was frustrated that he doesn't have enough time.
    Then we went clothes shopping for my boys. My husband and kids were having such fun (now shopping used to be my favorite thing) but I had to goto the shoe dept where the had the bench to try on shoes and rest while they shopped.
    What a sad day when you can't even shop w/o ruining it with pain!
    Deena