I Eat a Baked Pototo every night: anyone else have a daily crave?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 28, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I hope
    that all are doing well today.

I was thinking last night when I was buttering and salting my nightly baked potato if anyone else had these weird nightly things they had to eat.

It is not obsessive or compulsive, but all my life heard how health it was. I enjoy it every night like it was my first .

Do you do anything like that or something like it or am i just plain 'ole weird?

nyrofan
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

NyroFan
    Hi I'm guilty of the Baked potatoe thing! I started eating them alot more when i cut alot of meat out of my diet!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Like you say they always Taste like the First one!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That and salad almost everynight for supper! I put fat free sour cream mixed with dry ranch dressing on them and alittle salt and pepper.,,,,,,,,,,,,,Or low fat margerine,,,,,,Never get tierd of the Potatoe!,,,,,,lol,,,S
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

This is from a USA Weekend article published several years ago. They warn earlier in the article that potatoes are high on the glycemic index and can spike blood sugar. I'm fine with them as long as I add a little fat - I don't use butter but sunflower oil is very good on a baked potato.

Jan

"Eat Smart" by Jane Carper, USA Today

"Potatoes are often called "comfort" food. No wonder. Some researchers say such high-carbohydrate foods soothe the brain by raising levels of the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin. Judith Wurtman, M.D., a leading carbohydrate researcher at MIT, says many people who avoid sugars and starches have "serotonin hunger" that makes them depressed and likely to binge.

San Francisco nutritionist Kathleen DesMaisons even titled her recent book Potatoes Not Prozac. The idea: For millions of "sugar-sensitive" people, carbohydrates like potatoes are antidepressants. She recommends a plain baked potato at bedtime to lift your mood and aid sleep. She insists such complex carbohydrates can help fight overeating and addictions, including alcoholism."

4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

But now pomegranate season is over!
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Cause today I saw an article on Yahoo that was talking about foods that help you sleep at night and potatoes was one of them. So sounds like you are doing a good thing. Here is the article I saw. Think I will post this on the board as well.

Take Care,
    Pam

Top 10 Foods for a Good Night's Sleep

What is the secret to getting a solid 7 to 8 hours of sleep? Head for the kitchen and enjoy one or two of these 10 foods. They relax tense muscles, quiet buzzing minds, and/or get calming, sleep-inducing hormones - serotonin and melatonin - flowing. Yawning yet?

Bananas. They're practically a sleeping pill in a peel. In addition to a bit of soothing melatonin and serotonin, bananas contain magnesium, a muscle relaxant.

Chamomile tea. The reason chamomile is such a staple of bedtime tea blends is its mild sedating effect - it's the perfect natural antidote for restless minds/bodies.

Warm milk. It's not a myth. Milk has some tryptophan - an amino acid that has a sedative - like effect - and calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan. Plus there's the psychological throw-back to infancy, when a warm bottle meant "relax, everything's fine."

Honey. Drizzle a little in your warm milk or herb tea. Lots of sugar is stimulating, but a little glucose tells your brain to turn off orexin, a recently discovered neurotransmitter that's linked to alertness.

Potatoes. A small baked spud won't overwhelm your GI tract, and it clears away acids that can interfere with yawn-inducing tryptophan. To up the soothing effects, mash it with warm milk.

Oatmeal. Oats are a rich source of sleep - inviting melatonin, and a small bowl of warm cereal with a splash of maple syrup is cozy - plus if you've got the munchies, it's filling too.

Almonds. A handful of these heart-healthy nuts can be snooze-inducing, as they contain both tryptophan and a nice dose of muscle-relaxing magnesium.

Flaxseeds. When life goes awry and feeling down is keeping you up, try sprinkling 2 tablespoons of these healthy little seeds on your bedtime oatmeal. They're rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a natural mood lifter.

Whole-wheat bread. A slice of toast with your tea and honey will release insulin, which helps tryptophan get to your brain, where it's converted to serotonin and quietly murmurs "time to sleep."

Turkey. It's the most famous source of tryptophan, credited with all those Thanksgiving naps. But that's actually modern folklore. Tryptophan works when your stomach's basically empty, not overstuffed, and when there are some carbs around, not tons of protein. But put a lean slice or two on some whole-wheat bread mid-evening, and you've got one of the best sleep inducers in your kitchen.

For an extra treat, here's the ultimate sleep-inducing snack...

Lullaby Muffins
    Makes 12 low-fat muffins
    Between the bananas, the whole wheat, and the honeyed touch of sweetness, these muffins are practically an edible lullaby.
    · 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
    · 1/2 teaspoon salt
    · 1 tablespoon baking powder
    · 2 large, very ripe bananas
    · 1/3 cup applesauce
    · 1/4 cup honey
    · 1/2 cup milk or soymilk

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine the flour (make sure it's whole-wheat pastry flour or you'll produce golf balls, not muffins), salt, and baking powder. In a blender, puree the bananas; add the applesauce, honey, and milk. Blend well. Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Line muffin tins with paper muffin cups, pour in batter, and bake 30 minutes or until tops are lightly brown and slightly springy.

Nutrition Facts
    Per serving: 119 calories; 1g fat; 2.5g protein; 27g carbohydrates; 10g sugars; 133mg sodium; 3g fiber; 35mg magnesium
  6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I once ate a ham and cheese sandwich everyday for about a year. then finally got sick of em

also had a clam chowder fetish. new england style only- please!

i order the exact same thing whenever i go to a restaurant. i am not normal!!
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Right now it's Hershey's Kisses with the Cherry Cordial Creme filling!

They are to die for!!! LOL

They are one of their Limited Editions! They were out at Christmas time for the first time. Now back for Valentine's Day only. Then they will be gone. I don't know what I will do then!!

jlh
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I never knew
    that there were so many benefits to it.

Wow!

nyrofan
  9. my daily crave at around about 7.30 pm is

my carrot,my banana and my kiwi fruit.

in that order.i love 7.30 pm time, haha.

kind regards
    fran
  10. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

... and I'm not pregnant, but I like real garlicky kosher dill pickles.

Someone told me once that if I was having a craving for something sweet, then I should eat the opposite. Someone suggested kosher dill pickles. I love pickles so it was easy. I even save the juice from the pickles.

Crazy, I know.
    Tigger
  11. penstemon

penstemon New Member

I've always loved potatoes and gravy. Now that I have blood sugar problems, I have to eat a protein with my potatoes. Putting taco meat, cheese, and sour cream on a baked potato is delicious.
  12. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

For about a month now it has been popcorn. I never want it untill after I take my meds. About 6 months ago I wanted lime sherbert. Then all of a sudden I got sick of it. The other one some time ago was mac and cheese. I never crave anything good for me. I always crave San Francisco Sourdough bread. I ate it everyday growing up. I live near portland, ore now and the bread is just not the same. Suzanne
  13. jackrorabbit

jackrorabbit New Member

I have a list of things I like, and I go to the resturant that serves the best one that I'm in the mood for. My worst craving was chicken patty sandwiches during college, I called it my quail and manna meal. At least a year long... now not so much.