I FEEL LIKE AN ALIEN W/THIS DD!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Iggy_RN, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

OK, ILL THINK POSITIVE THOUGHTS, ETC... SINCE THIS BAD FLARE, MY DD IS OUT IN THE OPEN FOR THE FIRST TIME, W/EVERYONE SEEING ME LIMP, LOOK SICK, ETC... I HAVE FOUND THAT FAMILY DOES NOT HELP MATTERS, THEY JUST SORT OF PRETEND THAT NOTHINGS WRONG!!! I WONT TALK ABOUT IT I DONT BURDEN ANYONE W/IT, UNLESS THEY ARE SINCERELY CONCERNED AND WE CAN ALWAYS TELL WHO THOSE PEOPLE ARE!!! I JUST AM HAVING A HARD TIME HANDLING BEING SICK AND THE FAMILY THAT I THOUGHT LOVED ME SEEM TO NOT REALLY BE CONCERNED!!! IM JUST STATING A FACT, I AM MORE CARING AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR EVERYONE, NOW THAT IM THE ONE DOWN AND REALLY HAVING A BAD FLARE, I JUST SEE NO ONE THERE FOR ME,,,, IS THIS WHAT HAPPENS? DO WE BECOME ALIENS THAT NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO RELATE OR CARE TO RELATE TO US? IS IT JUST SELFISH OR IGNORANT BEHAVIOR. I JUST WISH I COULD HAVE HID IT LONGER, AND I WOULDNT BE OBSESSING ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY DONT GIVE A S***!!!!! HAVING MORE FUN BY THE MINUTE, A FELLOW ALIEN, IGGY
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

I think FM/CF syndrome, disease, whatever you want to call it has gotten a bad rap. Many people believe them to be depression or all in your head. If they do not acknowledge it somehow in thier minds, it will all go away.
    I sure can relate to your feelings on this.

My husband, kids, parents are great. They know many aspects of this DD because they care enough to do so.

My brothers on the other hand, really do not care. One has no contact with me, short of dropping off his son at my place when he visits from out of town. The other calls only to complain that I do not make the attempt to visit him (he is an 8 hour car ride away). Neither of them have ever asked me how I am doing. When I was being tested for MS, they both appeared to be concerned. Once FM was diagnosed, they never bothered.

I really think it is ignorance on thier part. It is such a complicated illness that cannot be measured but is instead a diagnosis of exclusion.

Don't let them get you down. If they don't get it, thier problem, not yours. You always have the rest of us aliens who really do understand.

BTW - good for you quitting smoking

2girls
  3. Snorlax

Snorlax New Member

Ya I know what you mean. I told my in-laws I was very sick and they think I a hypocodraic (?) and I just don't want to work. There old German people who lived through the warII. If they can do it anyone can. Just get up and get going. Theres nothing wronge with you except I'm lazy. They look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain how I feel. So we have just started an alian club. Good Luck Snorlax
  4. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Do not yet Know exactly How we've been abducted,however we ARE alien hosts,I'm with you on all related feelings. Perhaps there are benefits:
    If Gravitational forces become stronger,we have head start to *normals*.
    The FDA will know exactly what Does not work in Aliens.
    Moving as if We are in Molases will eventually become a trend.
    I hope you find comfort soon IGGY.
    Peace,EZ :}
  5. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

You will probably get the most support here, so check in often. People sometimes have strange behavior when they don't know how to deal with things, and pretending it's not there is one of them. Get some information (basic) for them to read. Maybe some knowledge would help. Hang in there. You're among friends.
  6. Lexied

Lexied New Member

and it really HURTS!! I've been "out of the closet" with my FM for a while now and I've seen so many changes in the way my family and friends treat me. My Mom and I have been inseperable since I was a baby. We are Best Friends... we used to do everything together (shopping, crafting, vacationing) and we talked on the phone almost every day. That was before I got this DD. Since then I've hardly seen her at all & she only lives 20 minutes away! Sure, at first she wanted to do anything she could to help me. She took me to the doctors, to testing, to SSDI hearings and she would helped me with housework a few times. Now I hardly see her... she will come to town to go shopping and I never know she's in town, she only calls me occasionally (1-2 times every 2 weeks), she doesn't seem to understand how sick I am. My Dad, who has serious medical problems of his own doesn't understand what's wrong with me. A lot of my "friends" abandoned me months ago and my husbands family never kept in touch even when I was well. I can only get out a few times a month now because I'm always in too much pain and when I do go I sweat and shake so bad I can't get back home fast enough. I recall a few times I've tried to go with my Mom to our favorite gift shop... my Mom used to stay in that store for hours... but when I went with her I walked up & down the aisles as long as I could and after about 30 minutes I HAD to ask her to take me home. I'll never forget what she said to me. "I just can't take you shopping with me anymore... I feel like I've lost my buddy!"
    I cannot tell you how much that hurt me! When I have bad flare ups the only thing I hear is "Well what did YOU do this time?!" like it's MY fault I'm in so much pain!!! I am blessed to have 1 good friend that really understands (she calls me EVERYDAY just to see how I am & if I need anything) and my Husband has been my ANGEL... he understands better than anyone and he helps me SO much! I didn't mean to write a book... but when I read your post, all these feelings just came pouring out. I am so sorry you are having such a bad time right now. I don't have all the answers but I do know that this message board has helped me so much. Just knowing that there's someone else out there who is going through the same thing gives us someone to talk to! It has really been a blessing to me & I'm new!!
    You will be in my prayers, IGGY, and I'm sending you a ((HUG))

Love - Lex
  7. Takesha

Takesha New Member

But you no what "I'm not crazy, I'm just a carrier!"
    I don't know if people just look the other way because they don't know what to say, or if they think we'll get offended because we ask. I know that a lot of my so called friends fanished when I had the first episode of fibro fog and stopped making sense...You would think I handed them a list of symptoms everytime they asked how are you...lol. I think for those of us that have always been independent and have "done it all" ourselves that it's hard to ask for help and others are afraid to offer. AND then there are those who just don't get it and don't want to.
    Thanks for the post Iggy...I feel better now. I am sorry your going through this, but we love ya! Hey, your not from Roswell NM are you...?