I feel like I am having a bad flare but I had my flu shot two days ago

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Nov 3, 2011.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

CAn having a flu shot cuase you to feel like my fibro is flariing? I don't remember being in so much pain or fatique as I am in now. I had my flu shot on Monday , yesterday and this am I have been in so much pain from muscles , blones and at the injection site are so pain ful that I could cry. I have ben getting flu shots for the past 4-5 yrs and don't remember hainb a reaction like this before.
    My right arm is so stiff and sore where the injection was given. I now ache all over , the fatique is so bad that it was hard to drive today but I had to talk my MOm to the eye doctor's. I have struggled to stay awake in teh early evening. I tried not to doze off at 7 pm to 9 pm. I have dozed off a few times to night but I was so sleepy all evening and fought to stay awake but now that I should be sleeping I can't I am wide awake ! NOthing has made me sleep tonight. I doze off and wake up startled , but can't fall into a REm sleep.
    I hurt so much , I just want to cry from the added pain but dont' know if it is from the flu shot or the flare?

I just wanted to know if having the fl shot can cause a fibro flare. I hurt so much from muscles to bones and I can't take much more of this. I am so exhusted from being in so much ain . Need some answers , my right arm burns, stings and is in alot of apin. Need to know what to do ?
    I am so sleepy but can't sleep
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Sorry you are hurting so much. Our weather here in Utah is going up and down again-yuck

I stopped getting flu shots yrs ago-on docs advice and from what I read inregards to them with having fibro.

Possible the person hit the muscle wrong or nerve.

3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Sorry you are hurting so much.

My best recommendation would be to take a bath with the hottest water you can handle and put 2 cups of ebsom salts in your bathwater. Take a big glass of ice water with you while you sit in the tub for 20 minutes while drinking your water.

Rinse off and then put your jammies on and go to bed. This should help to take down the pain down and help you to get some sleep.

PS-Yes the shot can make some people feel bad--you may have the virus in your system before you got the shot.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/05/2011]
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I thank you all for your posts, they really helped me alot. I don't know what I will do next year when it comes to gettign a flu shot. I keep getting one as I take care of my 84 yr old mother and dont' want to expose her to illness's that maybe I can prevent.
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, and most of all your understanding of how it feels to live with fibro. IT is so hard to get family to understand that I am not being lazy, or have taken too much meds , when I am so tired and fattiqued that I fall alseep while talking on the phone to them or even in front of them.

I wish that there was a way to get them to understand and to be more suppotive, I try not to complian about how I feel, I so complain at time when things , pain, fatique all happen at once. I thank you all on this site for all the suppoort you give to me.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The medical professionals will tell you that the shots cannot make you sick unless you are allergic to eggs because the viruses are not live. WRONG!!! We do not have normal immune systems. If the shot makes us sick, it is because our immune systems go nuts when the foreign substance is injected. It's an immune response which is more intense than in people without our illnesses. Many of us never get the flu without the shots because when we are exposed, our immune systems go on a massive killing spree. This is not to say that people should not get the shots. We are all different.

I choose not to get them because they make me sick. Once in a while, I get a virus but do not get the flu (knocking on wood here :) My doc says I'm healthy enough to get through the flu if I ever get it but getting the shots every year and getting sick from them is not a good idea for me.

We each have to choose for ourselves. I hope you are feeling better.

Love, Mikie