I feel like I can't get comfortable anywhere

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, May 17, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Is this just my FM, or do I need to go out and buy all new furniture for my home??? LOL. Like I could afford to do that, anyway. I literally cannot get comfortable anywhere. My couch, that I used to love, now I can barely stand to sit on it. I hate my bed. Have to take enough medicine to kill a horse to sleep. Sometimes I can find relief in my recliner. Sometimes not. My computer chair is killing me, so I can't stay online very long. My dh even brough a computer chair home from work, and I alternate with that, but neither feels good. What the heck is going on???? Between the muscle pain and spasms, burning nerve pain and severe back pain, I cannot get relief anywhere. I feel like I am losing it!

Am I the only one??? Is this my FM, or am I just really bad at choosing furniture? Aaagghhh!!!
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I have the same feeling about not being able to get comfortable in my own home. I have nice new easy chairs that recline and sometimes I think my bones are going to break just relaxing in the chairs. I have found that a egg crate mattress topper on my bed has helped a lot with how I feel after sleeping.

TxSongBird
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

JewelRA:

When I was at my sister's one day I kept moving from chair to chair, crossing my legs one way, then another. I kept moving my back around much.

She said: 'What are you doing?'

I told her: 'My main activity right now is trying to find a comfortable position'.

She laughed but it was true. I get like that sometimes at home. I am not sure whether it is the FM or not. I will watch this post and see what the other girls have to say.
    It could be my arthritis, too. But yes: I get that way to for one reason or another.

nyrofan
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I seldom have actual PAIN...rather I always tell my doctor and I extremely uncomfortable. TIGHT, never-let-go muscles.

For sleeping (or trying to), I have finally worked out a labor-intensive bed set-up: I lay 2 body pillows side-by side length-wise, place another pillow at feet end, then two or so pillows for head (at height to keep whole body in alignment. I sort of wiggle around in this nest till it is form-fitting like a glove! I no longer worry about a good bed, because even a pillow-top is not enough, and with this set-up wouldn't know WHAT is underneath me.

In my youth before I learned to take care of myself this way, I felt my bed might as well be a marble slab.

At least now, even if I don't sleep I am pretty comfortable.
  5. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

We were in a Will execution yesterday and I had been sitting in a straight back chair doing the documents and my whole body was so tense and tight. When the papers were finished and ready to go xerox, I could hardly stand up for the tightness in my feet and legs. I hobble around like I am crippled with the Fibromyalgia. I sometimes feel 80 years old when in fact I am 48.

TxSongBird
  6. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am so thankful to read these responses and see I am not alone. It really can make you think you are going nuts. And very depressing not to be able to find comfort in your own home.

I am doing the pillow thing on my bed too. I stick pillows and towels and such in every crevice trying to prop myself up some kind of way and ease the pain and discomfort. I just recently got a Cuddle Ewe, and it seemed good for about 2 nights, then it didn't. I don't know if I'll keep it or not.

I felt some relief of pain in my outside deck chair today and asked my dh to bring it in for me. Then it didn't feel good to me tonight while I was trying to watch American Idol. LOL. It is NUTS. The only thing that helps at all is muscle relaxers and pain pills. It really is depressing.

I am thankful to read your responses and see I am not alone. Although I am so sorry you have it too, as I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Thank you,
    Julie
  7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I had to go out and buy a thicker padded chair for my computer so I could sit here for more than 10 minutes. The old chair was killing my rear end....
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

It stinks don't it. Welcome to the fibro. world. Sometimes I move from the bed to the couch back to the bed and so on..... you get the picture. Sometimes you just cannot get comfortable anywhere with the pain and spasms. I hope somehow you find some comfort, I know it isn't easy.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2006]
  9. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I say to my hubby quite often that I wish I could get out of my body for a while I am so uncomfortable in it don't know where to put it.So I guess its just another one of those fms symtoms
    Linda
  10. cressida

cressida New Member

I'm right there with you. I've spent thousands on new beds, mattress toppers, feather beds, air beds and I still can't get comfortable enough to even sleep for just a few hours. I rotate in the night from one thing to another. It's terrible!
  11. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

JewelRA, you must have read my mind...

I was thinking of posting this topic this morning...I have been thinking of how to word it so that others would understand what I was trying to say, you did it fine...

I think this is how I measure when my fibro actually started, when I was no longer able to comfortable...

After 12 years of this, I have given up, no matter what I do, meds I take, where I lay, sit, lean up against, nothing works...It's not my mattress, not my couch, not my chair, IT'S ME!!!

I just bought two new leather recliners for my hubby and I, he's major comfy, I just get in it and squirm until I find a tolerable position (by tolerable I mean where I would just start ripping my hair out from the pain) and I don't move, sometimes for a whole hour...Then I try to get up and the stiffness is unbelievable...All night I flip over and over, limbs going numb, pain here and there...UUGGHHHH!!!!!

I feel for you but I am glad I am not alone...I thought for awhile it was mental, but I knew my brain couldn't make up such things, it's too tired...

Good post Jewel...It would have been funny if I had posted before you and you saw my description of this...I would have sounded like a NUT! You did a great job describing it and then others did very well adding their experiences...

Again, we are not alone, this is why I sign all of my posts~

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia