I feel like I've been scammed, need help with questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynnmom2, Oct 30, 2002.

1. lynnmom2

lynnmom2 New Member

Hi, everyone I am new to the list and am wondering if any of you have experienced this and what you suggest. I went to a seminar at a local hospital that advertised Fibro help they spoke about fibro-general info and were Chiropracters. They claimed they had all these wonderful treatments for fibro and to make an appointment worth $150 for only $20. I made an appt. because at this point my pain has become terrible and I suppose I was desperate. Anyways, I have all the symptoms of Fibro and was diagnoised by a Rheumatologist. Chiro claims I may not have Fibro but I do have someting he can treat he thinks it all has to do with nerve and neck pain. By the way, I have been seeing a chiro I like to help with back and neck pain, but when she does the trigger-point massage it seems to make it worse and starts flaring up all over. I told new Chiro this and not to put to much pressure on trigger points so since he only checked a couple he says I don't have fibro. Funny, Rheumy says I do, Who do I trust? Chiro say's you have to have all 18 trigger points, but sometimes some areas hurt and sometimes others. Bottom line pain and fatigue is such a bummer and I feel like this guy just wanted my money and Insurance card. I'm sure that they now how bad you feel and that you are vulnerable to so called alternative treatments. I am frustrated, what do I have? help
  2. lynnmom2

lynnmom2 New Member

Hi, everyone I am new to the list and am wondering if any of you have experienced this and what you suggest. I went to a seminar at a local hospital that advertised Fibro help they spoke about fibro-general info and were Chiropracters. They claimed they had all these wonderful treatments for fibro and to make an appointment worth $150 for only $20. I made an appt. because at this point my pain has become terrible and I suppose I was desperate. Anyways, I have all the symptoms of Fibro and was diagnoised by a Rheumatologist. Chiro claims I may not have Fibro but I do have someting he can treat he thinks it all has to do with nerve and neck pain. By the way, I have been seeing a chiro I like to help with back and neck pain, but when she does the trigger-point massage it seems to make it worse and starts flaring up all over. I told new Chiro this and not to put to much pressure on trigger points so since he only checked a couple he says I don't have fibro. Funny, Rheumy says I do, Who do I trust? Chiro say's you have to have all 18 trigger points, but sometimes some areas hurt and sometimes others. Bottom line pain and fatigue is such a bummer and I feel like this guy just wanted my money and Insurance card. I'm sure that they now how bad you feel and that you are vulnerable to so called alternative treatments. I am frustrated, what do I have? help
  3. JP

JP New Member

to the board...

Wow, does your story sound familiar. I just forked out over $255.00 for the same type of $20.00 visit. This chiropractor had the gall to say that he was the only one that could help me with my FMS, back injuries and thyroid disease. He wanted me off all of my medications and more. He used a technique called B.E.S.T. It was developed and marketing to chiropractors as a practice builder. What a load of c_ _p! I am a hard sell and I still wrote him out a check!

Hang in there and keep on posting. It would be nice to read your bio. If you double click on your screen name you can add one so we can get to know you.

Jan
  4. Ness

Ness New Member

I know how frustrating being in pain all the time can be and that we get to the point that we are open to anything just so we don't have to hurt. I would like to first say that a Chiropractor is not a medical doctor..so he/she can't diagnoise Fibro and you do not have to have all 18 points...it is something like 11.

I have gone to the chiro for my fibro and found that it eventually made me far worse..the pain got deeper and deeper.....Please don't be hard on yourself ..you are in pain like so many of us here...

It took me many doctors until I finally found the one that acknowledged my pain as REAL and I now after 2 years am finally getting the meds I need to be able to carry on with my life.

It makes me so mad that there are so many people that prey on our pain to make money.....Don't give up and if it doesn't feel right to you chances are it isn't right.

Please feel free to email me anytime..I am always open for a chat..for support..we all need support.

vmcpherson@carolina.rr.com

Peace
    Ness

5. mircleear

mircleear New Member

Get a good Doc that has the experance with Fibro I was lucky and had a chrio. that said he could not help me but would help me find a good Doc. You only need to have eleven of the eighteen trigger points. It is frustrateing to live with but when you get the right help you seem to do much better. We have some very good suport DR here in the Mid West.
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think "fibromyalgia" is a big buzzword now in the chiropractic & naturopathic communities, makes them smell $$$. It's too bad, because I feel there are a few really good alternative practitioners out there with solutions that DO work for at least some, but you have to wade through all the scam artists to find them. I would trust your rheumy who's a real doc. But we've all spent money trying to find the ever elusive magic something that might help us feel better---so don't feel bad about that, we've all been there!

Take care,
    Pam
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

We've all done this, more than once too!......and I would add that there is a large surplus of Chiros, at least where I live, and many of them are not making a living, so they may feel just as deperate as we do. My husband gets great help from his Chiro because his job often causes his spinal vertebrae to go out of alignment. Without the Chiro, I don't think he'd be working. But, they cannot do everything, and diagnosing FMS is one of the things they are not qualified to do. Would you have a Gynecologist diagnose you for heart disease? I don't trust any doctors as far as I can throw them, but if your choice is between a Chiro and a Rheumy, I'd go with the Rheumy.
    Klutzo
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If not, walk away. You can have Fibro without even having the tender points (trigger points, by the way are part of CMP, not Fibro). Rheumies have used this tender point criterium to help with diagnosis, but it isn't written in stone. Even if they use the tender point criterium, you need only have 11 of the 18 points and they must be in all four quadrants of your body. The tender area my rheumy used to diagnose me without complete mapping isn't even one of the official tender points. I have almost all 18 and then some.

Getting tender points worked on is only a temporary relief at best. It just breaks down the phosphate debris in the tissues and puts it back into the bloodstream until the body redeposits it into the same tender points again. The Guaifenesin treatment is the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing this process.

Love, Mikie
  9. lynnmom2

lynnmom2 New Member

My Rheumy did diagnoise me via the tender points as having Fibromyalgia. I guess we just have to be very aware of all the quacks out there trying to make money off our illness and keep trying to find a Doctor to help. Thank you for all your help.