I Feel My Anxiety/Depression Is Worse Than My CFS/FM, Anyone Else

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 10, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am becoming a wreck, my anxiety/depression seems to be worse than my cfs/fm . Not sure what is going on.

If my CFS/FM is worse causing the anxiety/depression or its just the anxiety depression getting to me.

Use to when I was in a crash I didn't have this over whelming doom, gloom and fear and there is just no happiness inside me.

There is a lot of stress going on in my family and I see no light at the end and of course I over react to everything.

My doc says that is my problem and I must deal with it but for now she wants me to up my xanax since I have not found an antidepressant I can take.

I just feel whats the use of trying anymore my life is a mess both mentally and physically.

Thanks, needed to vent,
  2. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

One of our symptoms is anxiety and depression. Take the Xanax it really does help with the anxiety. Why should you suffer. Take it!

Gosh, have you really tried all of the depression meds? There are so many of them. I've tried most of them also. Prozac work for me for years and years but now I'm on Cymbalta due to the pain that has creep in on me. It helps a little with the pain also.

These meds work for some and not others and some only work for awhile and then you need to switch. Do you give them at least a week or two to kick in?

Depression is a deadly problem, it needs to be addressed!

Stressful situations will also send us into a full blown flare up. Be-careful!

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you for your reply it helps so much to have someone to chat with that can relate. I am really down and out have been for a few months.

Yes, as far as I know I have tried all the AD's but after about 10 days (was the longest I ever stayed on one) the side effects are worse, I think, than my anxiety/depression.

Sometimes I feel if I could have 2 weeks to be able to just stay in my room and take them, tolerate the side effects then maybe, but trying to help with the greatgrans I can't do that and afraid to take the meds while they are with me.

Xanax does take the edge of so I can half way function.

My doc told me to divorce my family but can't do that. Then it would probably be something else.

I am becomming housebound again and hate to do that but with this darn weird head feeling I would rather stay home. Not sure if its cfs or anxiety related.

Thank you again and yes I am taking the xanax as for now I have no other choice, but hate to increase them as I have been on the same dose for years.

God Bless,
  4. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I know what you mean. When i feel like curling up and crawling into bed, I don't know if it is the pain or the depression.

Sometimes when I am not depressed, I get very angry because I want to do stuff and know I can't because of the pain, and then I get depressed.

And then when the pain isn't too bad, but I forget things, then I get depressed.

And I am on an anti-depressant. Maybe it needs to be stronger or changed altogether.

Good Luck, I hope you feel better soon.

5. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

May sound strange, but all this "crap" is building in you and if you let it come to a head and have a good crying session, maybe you'll feel better. I know it works for me. After I cry, I forgive myself for not being in control for what happening to me and i calm down enough to accpet that I have no control of what's happened to me.

Then I'm somewhat human again and I can stand being around myself. LOL.

Good luck!!
  6. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I take Paroxetime 40 mg (highest dose, and I am sure this is a generic of somethine). For me, it treats depression, panic, generalized anxiety, but it also treats other things.

The biggest thing I found out from this is it puts you in a 'non-caring' state, I spoke to my doctor when I realized that and she said that is one of the ways it works.

I do feel less extremely less stressed from very stressful situations, and feel I can handle stress much better.

So when my son told me he was picked up by the police for a possible felony, I was able to say "ok, when do we go to court" as if he said he was selected to win a thousand dollars. No stress.

You really need to get past the side effects to the point of letting something work.

Good luck

Hugs, Lillie
  7. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Some of us can not tolerate SSRIs. Having tried 10 I think you've given it a fair shot. One SSRI in particular made me much much worse permanently, even after stoping it after 7 days. My body kinda went haywire and it hasn't been the same since. Use xanax as needed only....try not to take a higher dose than you actually need though. Xanax helps but I dont recommend you take daily at a high dose.
    I often have problems with anxiety, so i can understand your question/concern.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I completely understand how you feel. I really do.
    Even with all of this fibro crap, the severe pain, the limitations it has put on my life and the whole other list of things that come with it, I could honestly say that up until recently I would still consider myself a 'happy' person inside who was dealing with situational downtimes or depression.
    As of late though I can say I am not happy. Not only 'not happy', but feelings that I do not like. I am an inately positive person. I am having a hard time mustering up positive thoughts. I KNOW what I need to be grateful for and believe me I am.
    For instance, I know that I have much harder days ahead when one of my parents die. I just know that my life is going to come to a screeching halt when that happens. I know, I know, I have serious problems with that - no need for anyone to respond to that.

I do believe that what we're dealing with, with our health is interfering with our thoughts. I try to remember that and give myself a break. We're dealing with much more than the average person. There is A LOT that comes with this.
    It does take work mentally to get back in a good place. Can you take baby steps to get yourself there - that's what I'm working on right now. I know for a fact that attitude makes ALL the difference in the world.

Sometimes what we're dealing with is stronger than what we can talk ourselves out of. IF you can or are willing to try another AD, I would suggest it. Most of them take longer than 10 days to get in your system and start doing their thing. I would talk to your doc about which one has the fewest side effects. They don't make your life all better, but they can make the grass a little greener. Some do take away your emotions a bit, but sometimes I'm all for that. I tend to worry, and am quite emotional these days - to be evened out, would be welcomed.

I know you're in pain, both physically and mentally. There IS help available to you. Please seek it. Life IS worth living. It IS a gift. Your family/friends would agree that you are very valuable, even when we ourselves forget that.

Take care of your physical pain as well. I don't know one person who can feel well when their body hurts!! Heck, I can't even think when I'm in bad pain.
    I will pray for you and I am here for you- anytime.
    I DO understand.

Get outside if you can. If the sun is shining for a moment, please sit outside. -that's a baby step. Anything to make you feel good for 5 minutes.
    Hugs to you...

9. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Greatgran!

I am so sorry you are going through all this pain, sadness and suffering. I need you to know that I really do understand as I feel the same way. It is so so hard.

Just keep going - is all I know - God will help - in His time and His way. There is so much we just don't understand about His plan.

God Bless You,

10. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

Greatgran, sorry you are where you are right now, venting is good.

I have been where you are at and know how you are feeling.

Keep talking to your doctor and vent when ever you feel like it...that is why we are all here...to help each other.

There is a light at the end I promise...I found mine and you will too.

Let us know how you are doing OK...you take care and sending lots of good thoughts.

11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I hear ya. It's terrible the way these DDs can mess up your emotions and cause major anxiety. These are trying times for a lot of people these days, between the economy and all the major changes happening so quickly in the world; then add chronic illness to it and you have a recipe for depression and anxiety even if that's not something you normally get.

I feel the same way. Meditation videos, articles and books help me as well as movies that take me to a better place and time.

I rely on God a lot these days as well.

Prayers and Hugs to you,
  12. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

I'm wondering if what you're feeling is depression, or ME after effects of time spent with your family - it drains me physically, but more so mentally.

I have to make those same decisions every week - if I see the children (and they want plenty of attention) I will be very ill for the several following days.

I can't see anyway out of it. Cutting out family (more that I have done) WOULD BE depressing.

I make sure I have nothing to do in the days following visits.

It's all a terrible thing to bear because it doesn't go away.

Best wishes TN
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know exactly how you feel. Something that helped me was seeing a counselor who was a nurse and worked exclusively with people who have chronic illnesses.

It was very helpful therapy aimed on how to deal with my DD.

However, this is not why I am necessarily recommending this. If you get hooked up with someone who also has a medical background, he/she might have some valuable information about ADs.

When I used to take ADs, they would wear off after a while. The doctor supplemented the AD with Lamictal which has been a life saver. It is used for bipolar and it helps the AD be more effective. Between that and the Zoloft, my anxiety has decreased dramatically. A lot of people are now taking Lamictal who are not bipolar and find it really helps.

But we are all different.

I hope you find some relief soon. I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

Keep us updated and rant all you want. That is why we are here!!!

14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Are you still trying to watch your grandkids? I bet you are. Honey, your daughter just might have to get someone else to do it. I think it is just too much for you. I have aa hell of a time with my 2 girls. My 4 yer old special needs child just started school, and let me tell you, it has been such help to me. She gets on the bus about 6:30a.m. and gets back off it at 4:00p.m. and then she is ready for her nap,haha! This is the hyper child so I get a big break duing the day.My other child is easy. I didn't mean to get side tracked about my kids, it's just we had been talking about them before.

I think you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. Your daughter will manage, she'll have too. Nobody ever said you had to spend the rest of your life being a built in babysitter, especially when you are sick and depressed! That is just my opinion! I love ya to pieces, really I do, and just want to see ya happy and well!

your Friend,
  15. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

That is so good. A good start.

And the Xanax can help too.

I think this disease is so linked with depression and anxiety because it limits our functioning--work, play, love, helping others, helping ourselves.

With just depression we could walk and exercise and that would help a great deal, but when we have to be very careful about exercise or we are exhausted---then we've got to contend with our thoughts and those thoughts turning into feelings.

I've been overwhelmed too and am struggling. You are not alone.

I agree with the one poster about crying and venting, that is good.

I also meditate and pray and kind of combine the two.

Meditation is a huge help for me.

And Klonopin helps too.

Keep sharing.

Be nice to yourself.