I feel so bad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Apr 10, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Today, I noticed that one of my furbabies was having trouble's peeing in his litter box. I called the vet office and I took him in right away. Here he had a blocked urethra and his bladder & kidneys are completely inflamed. They did surgery to reopen him up and he is resting and doing well. The vet thinks he hasn't peed in a few days!

I just feel awful that I didn't catch this sooner. What a horrible kitty mom I am! He could have died and it would have been all my fault for not paying closer attention. His name is Iggy and I adopted him from my vet office a few years ago...he is such a sweetie and he is the cat that I taught how to fetch. It is hard enough that I lost Asa in Jan. much less almost loosing Iggy. Thank God the vet was able to save him and put him back on the way to good health.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Sometimes it's hard to notice, especially since I've noticed many animals are very stoic.

I had a dog with the same problem as yours... it all worked out very well after surgery. That was in the early 1970s, I'm sure procedures are much better nowadays.

I am always amazed at how stoic animals can be. Our Great Pyrenees had bone cancer, only limped for a week before being unable to walk on that leg. X-rays showed her upper leg was 'moth-eaten' with cancer; yet she'd never shown ANY pain prior to this...

So don't be hard on yourself; truly, with some it's really hard to know!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 04/10/2008]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

with my dog that had the same problems, I lived in an apt in the city and had to take him for walks... so you might think I'd have noticed.

But being a male, LOL, well, he liked to hit all the 'spots'... so it was hard for me to tell until he really got an infection and obviously ill...

Hope your baby recovers quickly!

[This Message was Edited on 04/10/2008]
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Please don't feel guilty over this. Animals have to be able to camaflouge their illnesses in order to survive. It is totally instictual because in the wild, if they showed any weakness whatsoever, they would have been doomed for death. So they HAVE to cover their illness.

I am so glad that you were astute enough to notice when you did and got him treated as soon as you noticed. He can now live healthy and happy because you DID notice!
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I just want to say the same as every else, do not blame yourself for anything. I am just very glad that you did catch him in time and he will just fine.

You are a good mom and he knows it, as someone said, animals hide their hurt. So please don't beat yourself up-Carla
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

None of this is your fault as everyone has said. You are a good "kitty mom" and I am sure he knows it. He will be fine I am sure and that is all that counts. Glad you got him to the Vet !!!

I know how worried you are (were) but none of it it was your fault, at all. Try not to be so hard on yourself dear.

Hugs and blessings,

7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

How is he doing now? I hope he's getting better!

8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Iggy is at home and resting very comfortably. He has some good pain meds....hydromorphone....the cat gets better stuff than I do. LOL. All is good with Iggy right now, the worst part was peeling Randy off the ceiling telling him I needed $400 for the vet bill. Randy loves Iggy so very much but he was just shocked as to how much it cost. I'm just happy that my baby is home feeling better and recooperating.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I greatly appreciate everything!