I Fell Asleep on the Toilet last night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, May 24, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Well I was at the pain clinic yesterday and was prescribed me something to help with that and it was Elavil (Amitrypline). I have taken it before and it didn't do much for me at the time,however I was willing to give the medications a second change.

Long story short, I took the Elavil, and went to the bathroom and fell asleep on the toilet LOL.

I woke up and was like where am I? what am I doing? LOL

Then realized that this Elavil must be stronger.

Anyway I thought I would share an embarassing moment with you LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2006]
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Glad you woke up in one piece. Elavil is an anti-depressant and usually it doesn't cause that much drosiness. You might want to check with your Dr. who prescribed it to make sure that your dosage is okay.

TxSongBird
  3. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

Your going to have to wear a life jacket to go potty now!LOL
    I've done the same thing with no meds!
    Take Care,
    Mary
  4. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I find myself dozing off on the toilet almost every night during my last trip to the bathroom before I go to bed! I don't usually fall asleep completely, but by that time I'm so tired I almost do!

If anywhere, this is definitely the place to share!

Take care,
    Leanne
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Gosh, that's hilarious!

Thanks for sharing!! LOL!

Lena
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

LOL!

That totally sounds like something I would do...you must have a very comfy seat!

To be on the safe side, double check the dosage of the prescription versus the pills - make sure your reaction was just "you" and not because some idiot at the pharmacy gave you the wrong dose, or even worse, the wrong medication.

I have passed out in my bathroom before when I was in high school (was trying to sneak a ciggie - stood up too fast and BAM! I went down like a redwood - LOL). I ended up wedged between the toilet and the tub with my mother knocking furiously on the door, which of course I had locked, and a huge egg on my head.

When I was in EMT school, I learned the bathroom was pretty much the number one place to get hurt in terms of falls, etc. You may need to install caribiners so you can "clip in" with a safety line! LOL!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Fibrohugslife you are so funny I just love to read your post.I wish we lived close and could become friends over coffee .Well I guess we are fibrofriends.I think we could have been really good friends if we knew each other in real life .Sometimes I read your post and think you have to be one of my friends.Cause you do the nutty things we do.LOL Thanks for making me smile :)
  8. That is funny! But scarey. I have almost done that many times, but catch myself first. BE CAREFUL!
  9. mary124

mary124 New Member

Thats too funny--thanks for sharing.
    But seriously, talk to your doctor and see if the dosage is too strong.
  10. colinjn

colinjn New Member

Thanks for the laugh. And yes I've been there too. With the last memory being that little voice trying to convince me that this really wasn't as comfortable as my drowsy body was telling me. And then waking up to numb legs and a ring around the butt feeling that was there for hours!

Oh Yes.....been there!
    Colin
  11. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Actually Elavil does cause drowsiness and sleepiness, and yes it in an anti-depressant and on the information sheet I received from the pharmacy it says it can be used for depression, treat chronic pain, other conditions and can be used for sleep. So there are many uses with this medication.
    I have done my research on medications.

Whenever I get my medication, I always look at the pills, and the side of the bottle to make sure they match. I also count the pills in my medications to make sure I am getting the correct ones.

I have taken it before from a former doctor I had and he had me use it for sleep. The generic name for it is Amitriptylin. The dosage the doc gave for me was 25 mg, and so I think I may cut it in half next time.

The medication relaxes your body and helps for sleep. It is just like Xanax, and has the same effect along with Zoloft. You can do a search about it on the boards here.

Anyway I have a pretty big butt so I don't think I would fall over or anything. I am pretty much stuck on that seat.I I WISH I had one of those cushion seats. I was just waiting for things to come, and my body was taking its time. LOL.

Right now the Gabapentin known as Neurontin is affecting me.

Thanks for the comments, and I am glad you like to read my posts. I like reading yours as well.

Anyway I think that as doctors prescribe more things to help me sleep. They may be a strong dosage and completely knocks me out.

An old friend of mine, had surgery on his back, and so he had to take some sort of medication for the pain, and to help to sleep. He took them, and he fell asleep within a minute. He didn't even get a chance to change out of his day clothes LOL.
  12. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I don't consider what happened was bad, but a good thing to happen as usually sleep meds do not work on me. I am up all night trying to sleep. Sleep meds that keep me awake instead of putting me to sleep.

I don't sleep well at night, and sometimes I don't sleep for about 24-48 hours, I am just plain awake because of the pain and all that I go through with the fibro, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and depression.

So if this is something that will help me to sleep then I am all for it.

I slept really well last night for ONCE in the last year or so and that is good. That is after I got off the toilet of course LOL

REMEMBER Medications work differently in everyone. It's NOT the same for everyone else.

I was just trying to post something funny to brighten up everyone's day as it is my purpose to encourage and bring smiles to people's faces. Something my God gave me to do.

Don't turn it into something negative.

Thanks for listening.

Many hugs!

13. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

but I am very hard to medicate and sleep doesn't come easy for this old gal. I have to take 500 mg of Soma, 10 mg of Ambien and 50 mg of Xanax to even get relaxed enough to go to bed and wait for sleep. I haven't fallen asleep on the pot before, but did fall asleep in the easy chair one night when I was awakened by the dog to go out to the bathroom. I sat down and the next thing I knew I was doing the big old snore with my head back and it woke me up.

TxSongBird
  14. Jordane

Jordane New Member

With you next time you go.:>)

That was the first time you took it?? Funny it kicked in so quick.Glad you were on the hotseat and not driving!!

I have been taking 50mg.,for awhile now.And when they kick in they do make you sleepy. And hungry!!!

I have gained wait since starting it.Plus the Remeron that I take,also causes weight gain.They got me no matter where I turn.LOL.

Take Care.
    And dont forget your pillow!!
    Jordane
  15. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

No waaay I am driving with meds in my system. That is dangerous. Tomorrow I see my main doctor for the county and so I will have to drive tomorrow, which means I cut back on certain meds so that I can drive and when I get home I take them then. There is no time limit on when to take the meds just do what it asks on the bottle.

The first time I tried this med was about 3 years ago, and I was working at the time. It did make me fall asleep but I felt horrible when I woke up and was in a lot of pain.

Taking it now second time around,I woke up with not much pain, and I think that the med and the other meds I am on now helped me out with that.

My body is at a different state than it was 3 years ago. I am sicker, and have more issues with sleeping. I think that I have developed another chronic illness which is quite unfortunate and sad.

I have tried the supplements out there but they do not work well with me. I would have to take a high amount waaay over their dosage requirement in order to probably sleep and since that is dangerous to do, I can't take the supplements.

I am a lot taller and bigger (not fat) than most people on this board, so it takes a lot to make this tall girl fall asleep.

I have requested elephant tranquilizers from the doctors I have had and they said no LOL.

I do remember that it makes me thirsty and hungry. Since I eat healthier now, I drink water if I am thirsty, and increase my raw vegetables that I eat, and eat more fruits.

Along with continuing my exercising (Yoga, Pilates, Balance Ball, walking. warm water aerobics---which I can now finally take!), I will be fine and don't think I will gain weight.

16. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I had a friend who did that when I was a teen, but I think that alcohol may have been involved!

Glad you weren't hurt...:)

julie

You had some of the best times
    you'll never recall
    with me
    Alcohol.. - Brad Paisley
  17. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I surely am glad that you didn't fall onto the floor; I have to admit, that was funny and I admire the humorous side of you.

Be Careful!

BlueSky555
  18. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

What a good thing you didn't fall off & get hurt! Cutting those tablets in half sounds a good idea, or you could go back to your doc & ask for the 10mg ones.
  19. MamaR

MamaR New Member

When I saw this I had to respond...because it happened to me the other night. I was sitting there and I have a problem sometimes going tee tee...well...I must have dozed off and I woke abruptly because a ant bit me on my my little toe!

I know...it is weird...fall asleep on toilet and then ant bites! We live in Florida and when it has been so dry. We have them a little now and then. I looked around and not another was in site. I guess that one just was there to wake me before I fell off the pot!

By the way....love your pic.

Love...Mari
  20. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

No need to be mad.....and the toilet seat is not that high for me. I'm 6'1 LOL. If I were to slide off I have the wall, clothes hamper and counters to protect me, so I would be okay either way. I would have to lift myself off the seat in order to fall to the floor and since I don't lift off while I sleep on the toilet, I was fine.

As for going back to the doctor for new prescription?! No waaaaay LOL. I am sooo not lucky like some of you are LOL.

The county hospital is a 45 minute to an hour drive granted that there is no traffic. The parking at the hospital is not very large and to fight and wait for a parking spot, that is another hour or more. Then I would have to wait about 2 hours or more for their pharmacy to fill my prescription.

Sooooo with all that I rather cut the pill in half and call a truce from there.

It is just not worth it for me to travel all the way down there endure all that for those pills.

I am happy that I was able to get some shut eye and when I slept I was getting stage 3 and 4 sleep, and felt rested when I woke up. You have no idea how much of a dream come true that is for me, and also not to feel so much pain, and suffer through so much side effects. AMAZING!