I fell down at work, AGAIN.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilynb, Aug 9, 2006.

1. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Well, I am really tired of falling. Monday on my way into work, I tripped on uneven pavement in the parking lot & fell down. This was almost in the same place I fell, back in November of last year.

This time was much worse than before. It seems, I tired to catch myself with my right hand (yes I am right handed).
    Well I was crying so loud that it did alert my co-workers.
    Apparantly I landed on the ends of my fingers, bending them backwards, where they are not suppose to be. OUCH!!!

My boss took me to the hospital & after a few hours, found out I did not have any broken bones, but a BAD sprain of my ligaments in my hand.

They put a splint on, almost all the up to my elbow. My hand has been so swollen, you could'nt even see my bones. I think it is finally starting to go down. Of course my whole hand is black & blue. Boy it sure has been painfull.

I tired to make a follow up appt with my family Dr & he won't see me because it happened at work, so he referred me to a Dr that takes workers comp. I sure did'nt want to have to do that, but looks like I have no choice.

Has anyone had to deal with workers comp for a fall like this? I really need my job & hope this does not mess things up.

In the meantime, I am having to learn to function with my left hand. Boy what a learning experience this has been. Actually I think I am getting pretty good at it.

So, does anyone else fall a lot? Why do you think this happens to us? I am sick of this. I feel so clumsy. People at work are calling me lefty.

Well, I am sleepy now, so I better get some sleep, so I can be awake enough to go to work tomorrow morn.

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks for listening.

Marilyn
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I think it is a shame your Dr. will not handle you on W.C. when he is your regular Dr. But, we can't change that....

I would not state that you are clumsy lately. Can really hurt getting all paid for, etc. But, I sometimes do not lift my feet like I use to. Pain and all creates this problem.

I have gotten so I am so much more careful when walking, I try and think of how I am walking and watch for anything that I might trip on.

No, it will not hurt your job if you have to go through workmans comp. That is what it is set up for. You are not "suing" your place of business or taking advantage of them

Since you did this in the business parking lot, your regular ins. will not cover it. They would refuse paying it.
    Also you do not know what problems might be a head from this fall. So just go the route on W.C. You do not have another choice.

Good Luck.........Susan
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Marilyn,
    I used to fall a lot, when I was working. I finaly realized that I was too tired, and did not reise my feet off the ground as high as I should, and so they would catch on uneven surfaces. I even had a really bad fall at work (a school) that resulted in an operation and a workman's comp suit.

This is what happened: I filed a report, mostly because we had been told that we should. It turned out that I could no longer teach, as I couldn't stand for long, walk at a good pace, or lift my arm to write on the blackboard, for more than one or two words, etc......

The insurance company paid me while I was laid up, paid my Dr. bils, and then made me an offer. I felt that it was not just, so I retained an attorney. He secured a settlement for me.

I don't thnk that filing a workmam's comp report should affect your job. I think it is the law. Your employer has to have that kind of insurance, just for times like these.

Good luck. I hope you feel better,
    Hugs,
    Terry
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Marilyn:

I have worked in many different companies and have learned a bit about worker's comp from each one.

I hope that your boss alerted your H/R department, and that they followed the procedures for reporting this accident to your Worker's Comp Insurance Company. If you are injured at work, you have to follow the company rules regarding going to their doctors, etc. You should not worry about missing time from work, but if there have been more than one accident at the same place, it could mean that the company is more liable for your injury.

Typically, slip and fall accidents are the most reported for worker's comp...and they cost the most amount of money.

Be sure you document any problems you have, since you are right handed, and I would think that your boss, your doctor or the H/R department might give you some time off to recover.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Yes my boss called HR & told them what was going on.
    She is the one that took me to the hospital & was with me the entire time, so that was good. She knows everything that happened.

Yes, I will be looking down & walking a lot more slowly now. I do not want to fall again. This hurts!

Well, I gotta get ready for work. Seems to take a lot longer now, with only 1 hand, & the left one at that!!

Marilyn
  6. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

You probably are experiencing what is called foot drop. I had this really bad in the first stage of my CFS. I still do it some , but it's much better now. It does worseness when I start to crash for over doing or stress.

Barb
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I fall down, too. Used to blame it on being clumsy, now I think it is sudden muscle weakness that makes me lose control.

My DH likes to tell me to "stay on your wheels".

I am left handed and when I broke my right hand I found out how many things I actually do with my right.

Wishing you better days and that you stay on your wheels!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  8. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Well, I went for a follow up appt this afternoon. Looks like it is healing kind of slow. It's bruised really bad & still swollen. I tried moving it but it is still pretty stiff. She says it may take a while to heal & I may have more trouble since I have FM. I go back next week.

Foot drop huh? Never heard of that. I was thinking back on Monday morn when this happened, & remember being very tired. At the hospital, my B/P was 121/47. I had been feelin very good lately due to the Cymbalta & really over did it this weekend. I remember telling my DH that morning how tired I was.

What is mensicu (sp) I don't even remember how it was spelled.

Marilyn
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Do not ever sign a paper to close out a claim.You could have problems years later with that and your work is at fault if it happen on their property. Specially if the place you did it is un level.Dont close even if your boss ask you to.
    I hope you feel better.