I finally broke down and did it!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betsy2, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Every time we go to Lowe's or Walmart, I punish myself by walking around the store for a long time in shoes that I shouldn't be wearing anyway. Then I end up going home and having to put my legs up because of the extreme pain. The other day when we went to Lowe's, I told my boyfriend I was getting a scooter because my legs just couldn't take all that walking on the cement floors wearing shoes that I shouldn't even own because they are hard on my feet. It was wonderful to walk out of that store and not feel exhausted from the walking. You see, we just bought a home and are busy fixing, decorating and maintaining it so we seem to visit Lowe's and Walmart often.
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I keep saying I'm going to ride, and then end up pushing a Cart, I really Hang on to it. lol
    I figure with as much Bobbing up and down I would do, reaching for thing's, I could do more damage to my neck right now, but as soom as it's fixed, I'm gonna Ride.
    They don't Call it Wallyworld for nothing, lol.

My low back Pain is causing me to Lock up a lot these day's, so I guess I'll be jumping on one here real soon.
    I have a feeling that by Pusing the carts, I'm making my Neck hurt more, I know my arm does. SO it's a toss up which condition is going to get the attention.
    sincerely
    sharonk
  3. achy

achy New Member

Oh I admire you!! I go to Lowe's and Walmart too and just feel like crud by the time I checkout. You get home wiht your treasures and your too pooped to do anything wiht them!!
    I often threaten to use one, but chicken out...I really don't know why, I have a dis. parking card, and my hips get so bad it really hurts to walk on those floors, but I just don't do it. Maybe next time I will think of you and go for it!!

And hey...go get ya some shoes!! I have always hated shoes, especially tennies, BUT
    I just got a pair of new balance walking shoes that have VELCRO instead of laces...they are SO SO SO comfy. Not that expensive either. OR next time U go to Wallyworld check out the Dr. Schol's shoes. I have a couple of them and they are really good for walking too.

Meet ya at Lowe's for a scooter race!
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  4. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

LMAO Scooter races! I know maybe we could start a new Olympic sport. I live in Darlington and maybe they would let us have the qualifying scooter races on the track next Labor Day being that the Nascar Labor Day race has been changed to California. LOL
  5. kim840

kim840 New Member

You know, I've often looked at them longingly and wished I had the guts to do it. You've given me something to think about. Maybe I will next time. I agree, you get all this wonderful stuff when you're out shopping and come home and are absolutely miserable and can't enjoy doing what you want to do. Actually, I'm afraid I'll run into someone or something. Pray for those around me when I do become armed!!

Keep going girl!!

Marcia
  6. Lexied

Lexied New Member

You hang out at the same stores I do!! Although I don't get out very much due to pain and fatigue, I do HAVE to go to WallyWorld to get groceries and necessities. I can relate to you holding on to your buggy for dear life!! After several times of having to leave the store with a half-full buggy, because I couldn't walk another step, my husband MADE me get in a wheelchair. It made me feel bad at first,but I realized that it was more important to be able to get out with my husband occasionally than to be a hermit!
    Congratulations on your new home!! I hope you will stay well enough to enjoy the progress!

Hugs - Lexied
  7. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

that the basket on them was larger enough to hold all my groceries. I only go grocery shopping once a month and so when I do I buy for the entire month. Those baskets just aren't large enough. Fortunately, for me my boyfriend is a retired contracter and he does most of the work on our home. He has emphysema though and gets winded quite often. He isn't on an oxyegen tank but does use an enubulizer and an inhaler. He keeps going so much better than I do, I envy that. He told me that he has never wanted to be referred to as lazy. He also has Dupytrene's Contracture. All of his fingers are curled under except two and they are painful. How he does it, I don't know.
  8. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Why would you even own a pair of shoes that hurt you feet. Toss them all out. Get a good pair of shoes that feel great and wear them! It's time to pamper yourself.
  9. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Well, let me see, I do have arthritis and I do have a thyroid condition. Excuse me for trying to eleviate my pain. You are probably one of those people who give the sneers and dirty looks when Fibromites park in a handicap spot. Give me a break!
  10. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Ya know, it is pretty costly to buy shoes like the custom made Birkies that my podiatrist had made for me a few years ago. I paid 260.00 for a pair of custom made Birkie clogs and it was very hard on my wallet . Even tennis shoes are up there in price. The shoes I bought this spring were flip flops and they were pretty. I also bought a pair of soft spots to wear that looked much better with shorts than those Birkie clogs my podiatrist had made for me. Tennis shoes tend to make me hotter in the summer in the deep south. I do intend to buy a good pair of shoes soon. Maybe I can find something reasonable that looks good.
  11. franners

franners New Member

We do what we can do and then some.. If we all thought someone might need that cart more or that parking spot more then there would be no need for it to begin with..
    And if we have an opprotunity to wear nice shoes to go out or whatever then good for you! If all we did was what everyone else wanted then how boring would life be??
  12. nktigger99

nktigger99 New Member

Why do you wear shoes that hurt your feet? I mean common sense would tell me to stop doing something to myself that hurts me. Throw out those shoes and buy some good walking shoes with good support. Maybe then you can walk around and atleast not hurt so bad.

Nichole
  13. fibrotigger

fibrotigger New Member

I'm completely new here, it is my first time even reading the posts, but I had to weigh in on this discussion. I have FMS and a handicapped placard and am on disability. That makes my "illness" just as legitimate as the next guys. In fact, I shouldn't even have to make that statement. Betsy, you keep right on using that scooter and for those elitists (sp?) out there who think their disability is more legitimate than mine, live in my body for a day or two, then talk to me about disability.

Thanks for letting me give my $.02 worth.

Keep on keeping on.

Gentle hugs,
    fibrotigger

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2003]