I finally gave in

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lil_angel1198, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I went to the doctor today because of the pain I've been in for weeks. Usually the flares last a week or two then go away for a while, or at least lessen in severety.
    This time it didn't.
    So I went to the doctor today and told him all the stuff I have had going on for over 3 weeks now, and he gave me 3 new meds. I was already on 5 meds.
    I have hypothyroid, tachycardia, high cholesterol. I was also on Cymbalta for the Fibro and flexerill also.
    Now today he put me on generis Ultram for the pain, a water pill for the swelling and Lunesta to help me sleep better at night. So, that makes 8 meds! UGH!

I kind of feel like I am letting the Fibro win because I finally had to get pain meds. I had to leave church early Sunday because of the pain and a migraine. I've never had to do that before.
    I really believe my Fibro is worsening..... I just can't seem to pull out of this flare.
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Instead of letting the fibromyalgia win, you could consider that, by taking medication, you're taking control over the fibromyalgia. There's no shame in taking medication (or 8 medications) if it will give you a better quality of life. God bless you. I hope the new meds give you some relief. Anne Theresa
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

By taking pain meds you are taking back your life,so you can go to church,a movie and even exercise in warm water therapy!Linda
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lil_angel:
    You might find that the Ultram will give you some relief.
    I take it when I do not take the Percocet and it does help for me.
    Here's hoping you come out of your flare soon,

n.f.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just do what you think will work for you. It could be you can swap a couple of the meds. Another option would be to switch the Cymbalta and Lunesta for Lyrica instead which should do both with the one pill, as it helps both FM and sleep.

Good luck

Anne C
  6. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

There is another post on this that somebody started about taking pain meds. If your quality of life can be improved with medications there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking them. I know how you feel but I cannot even imagine what my life would be like without them.

I struggle with this but I am 43 and I now take 10 meds daily - more then my 73 year old Mom. However, there are days that I feel close to normal which I haven't felt like in a very long time. Release yourself from the guilt you are feeling and concentrate on healing. Good luck.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

I know it's hard to stare down a hand full of pills everyday!! the thing is is that you will be better off taking them and getting the pain relief you need and deserve!!!.................................I have taken ultram for awhile now and it's definatley a good pain reliever!! it will get better for you as time goes by!
    godbless you! sisland
  8. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

finally getting some relief. It took more than a day for the pain med to kick in, and I have to take it every 4 hours as directed. It also makes me tired.

I've been on a water pill since Tuesday also because of swelling, and since then I've lost 6 pounds! I can also now bend my hands. I was also feeling puffy in my face, and now it doesn't feel so bad. I do drink a lot of water and also been drinking cranberry juice to help flush out whatever it is making me retain the water.

Maybe things will start to turn around for me, I was gaining weight regularly for the past year, and in the past couple of months it was getting worse. Maybe this will help turn it around.

Oh and the sleeping pills he gave me have helped me too....although I didn't sleep well last night. But Tuesday and Wednesday nights I slept like a rock! LOL I've still been tired during the day from the pain meds, but I think that will straighten out once I get used to them.

I hated to give in to taking more meds, especially pain meds, because I just felt that if I had to take them, it meant I was getting worse, and I didn't want to get worse. But, I've realized that the activities I could do even last year, I was beginning to not be able to do them now.
    I hope to be able to pick up some activities again, because I don't want to give up on doing things. But at this point, I don't have a whole lot of chice.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Having to give up on your regular activities is another hard step to take!!! i used to walk 2 to4 miles a day! pluse hike, bike , swim (i still swim in the lakes in july) something i choose not to give up!......................................But anyway my point (lol!)........ if i just take 2 or 3 short walks a day and do alot of stretching exercises at least 2 times a day it helps alot! but if i don't do these things i can lose mobility completely!..................................I hope your doing ok! sisland those icons are so cute!!! just looking at them makes me smile!
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

I like cromwell's advice...take one instead of two...but so glad to hear you're doing better on the extra meds. Maybe after a couple of months you can go off them slowly...if your flare has stopped and you're into sleeping regularly, maybe you can take a break from them, then if symptoms come back, you know what to ask your dr. for once again.

findmind