I finally got my referral

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

It took my changing PCPs to finally get the referral I needed to the chiropractor around the corner from me who treats FMS/MPS patients.

Incredibly, my former PCP was a very warm and caring doctor who was quick to refer me last year to a good rheumy who finally diagnosed me. And he was quick to offer me a wide selection of various pain meds to try to help with that, although none of them worked for very long or at all. But, when I asked him about referring me to this chiro, he outright refused because, "I never send my patients to chiropractors -- I just don't believe in them." It turned out that none of the doctors in his clinic believed in using chiropractors, either. He did offer to send me to the only pain mgmt doctor in town who is on the insurance I use, but when I called that guy, his office told me that he did not treat FM or MPS patients! I tried to explain to that former PCP that I was in need of some type of alternative pain management or therapy, because I am not a good candidate for using most prescription drugs, because of all my sensitivities to so many. He refused to listen or change his mind. I even told him that it should be my choice of how I want to be treated for these conditions and that he should refer me to the chiro because he himself was unable to help me in the management of my pain.

I left his office not getting the referral I needed, so I called and filed a complaint with my insurance (an HMO). The insurance staff were shocked that the PCP refused to send me to an approved chiropractor, especially with my history! They took the complaint to be followed up on with the clinic (they told me that their contract with the PCP did not allow such high-handed treatment of patients and that he should definitely have given me the referral and that his refusal could lead to a termination of his contract with their insurance company). The insurance put a rush on getting my new choice of PCP approved right away and even back-dated the effective date so that I could get in to see him sooner.

Lucky for me, the new PCP is a former doctor of mine who I had seen under a former HMO plan, and he is now running his own private practice and takes my current insurance. He was very happy to have me back as a patient and was knowledgable about the basics of FMS and MPS. He was even carefull to tell his nurse to use a very gentle pressure for taking my BP. It was the first time that taking my BP did not end up with me being bruised.

After talking to me at some length, asking me all the usual questions about symptoms, he then said that the two main things he wanted me to get some help with right away were pain management and achieving restful sleep. I mentioned that I found a chiro who treated FM and MPS patients for pain with some myofascial release therapy and fascial stretching therapy. He knew something about those treatments and thought that would be a good idea for me to try, because "you're not a good candidate for using pain meds" (his words). So, he ordered a rush on the referral and the insurance approved 8 treatments/visits to start, and I was able to see the chiro twice last week and am seeing him again this week. Tomorrow he wants to take full xrays and will see what therapies might be helpful from viewing those. So far, I have been in too much stiffness and pain to have them do more than use wet heat on me, along with some gentle massage. But, his staff is also very gentle in everything they do to me. I did tell both the new PCP and chiro that I am using the ZMA at night and they both say that it might be a help in my achieving better sleep (which it still is).

Anyway, I am happy with the treatment of both the new PCP and the chiro, so far, and am soooo glad that I made the needed changes to get the treatment I needed. :)

2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

It took my changing PCPs to finally get the referral I needed to the chiropractor around the corner from me who treats FMS/MPS patients.

Incredibly, my former PCP was a very warm and caring doctor who was quick to refer me last year to a good rheumy who finally diagnosed me. And he was quick to offer me a wide selection of various pain meds to try to help with that, although none of them worked for very long or at all. But, when I asked him about referring me to this chiro, he outright refused because, "I never send my patients to chiropractors -- I just don't believe in them." It turned out that none of the doctors in his clinic believed in using chiropractors, either. He did offer to send me to the only pain mgmt doctor in town who is on the insurance I use, but when I called that guy, his office told me that he did not treat FM or MPS patients! I tried to explain to that former PCP that I was in need of some type of alternative pain management or therapy, because I am not a good candidate for using most prescription drugs, because of all my sensitivities to so many. He refused to listen or change his mind. I even told him that it should be my choice of how I want to be treated for these conditions and that he should refer me to the chiro because he himself was unable to help me in the management of my pain.

I left his office not getting the referral I needed, so I called and filed a complaint with my insurance (an HMO). The insurance staff were shocked that the PCP refused to send me to an approved chiropractor, especially with my history! They took the complaint to be followed up on with the clinic (they told me that their contract with the PCP did not allow such high-handed treatment of patients and that he should definitely have given me the referral and that his refusal could lead to a termination of his contract with their insurance company). The insurance put a rush on getting my new choice of PCP approved right away and even back-dated the effective date so that I could get in to see him sooner.

Lucky for me, the new PCP is a former doctor of mine who I had seen under a former HMO plan, and he is now running his own private practice and takes my current insurance. He was very happy to have me back as a patient and was knowledgable about the basics of FMS and MPS. He was even carefull to tell his nurse to use a very gentle pressure for taking my BP. It was the first time that taking my BP did not end up with me being bruised.

After talking to me at some length, asking me all the usual questions about symptoms, he then said that the two main things he wanted me to get some help with right away were pain management and achieving restful sleep. I mentioned that I found a chiro who treated FM and MPS patients for pain with some myofascial release therapy and fascial stretching therapy. He knew something about those treatments and thought that would be a good idea for me to try, because "you're not a good candidate for using pain meds" (his words). So, he ordered a rush on the referral and the insurance approved 8 treatments/visits to start, and I was able to see the chiro twice last week and am seeing him again this week. Tomorrow he wants to take full xrays and will see what therapies might be helpful from viewing those. So far, I have been in too much stiffness and pain to have them do more than use wet heat on me, along with some gentle massage. But, his staff is also very gentle in everything they do to me. I did tell both the new PCP and chiro that I am using the ZMA at night and they both say that it might be a help in my achieving better sleep (which it still is).

Anyway, I am happy with the treatment of both the new PCP and the chiro, so far, and am soooo glad that I made the needed changes to get the treatment I needed. :)

3. honey

honey New Member

Hi Seagull
    Great news that you have finally got to where you want to go. Some doctors forget that you are in charge of your treatment you can say no to whatever he suggestions and any GOOD doctor will listen to any ideas you have in your own treatment. If someone told me a pea in my shoe would help I'd do it.......lol
    Hope all goes well for you
    Wishing you pain free, happy days

Luv
    Lyn

[ advertisement ]