I finally won SSD but....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hidn, May 22, 2003.

1. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi everyone,
    It has been a long time since I have posted here, the last 7 or 8 months have been truely terrible is so many ways for me :( The grat news is that I was approved for SS. It has taken 3 tries, I finally had to hire a lawyar. They sent me a check for the back months since I was disabled (less the 5 months deal) BUT now my ins company wants not only the whole check I received, but now says I actually owe them what I paid the lawyer too! I cant believe they can do this! Talk about stress lol
    This ins company has messed me around so much since July of 2001 when I first got too sick to work, I have lost my home, my car, everything and now I owe them more???
    Sorry I just needed to vent, I guess I will have to pay them, but when you cant afford to buy bread it is a tough thing to do.
    Thank you for listening ,
    hugs to you
    Denise
  2. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

Congrats on the SSD!!!! One would think after winning this you could sit back and take a long sigh of relief, but now you have a battle with the insurance company. You know...if you have lost everything, like many of us your credit rating has suffered immensely. What would happen if you "didn't" pay them? If I couldnt afford to live at this point, paying an insurance company would be the VERY LAST thing on my list of priorities!
  3. dd

dd New Member

That is wonderful news.

I don't understand why the insurance company would demand that you pay them back. Pay them back for what??? For them paying for your doctor bills. Was it their lawyer that they hired for you? I have never heard of this before. It sounds crazy to me. Please find out more of why they are demanding payment. I was approved for SSD in 2000 without a lawyer but was never asked to pay any insurance company back.

Peace,

Debbie
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Why should you have to pay them anything? I would talk to the SSA, because I can not believe they would be entitled to any money awarded for SSDI.

That Stinks!

Keep us posted and Congratulations, though it seems a bitter win - I am so sorry,

Lane
  5. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Thank you DD , Forever, and Memory fot your warm good thoughts. Nink, I did know that the ins company would want to be paid back, but how can they ask for more than I got?? First of all, the ins co. never told me to apply to SSD I did that because they were messing me around and I lost everything and had no where to go and money for anything. Now I owe them thousands of dollars on top of what SS sent me? I dont think so where am I supposed to get it? Thge ins co was supposed to take out taxes from their disability payments and didnt, I also owe (with fines almost $4000. to yhe IRS) When does this end? I aint got it....lol
    Thanks again everyone
    hugs to you all,
    Denise
  6. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Foreverflaring,
    My first thoughts were How long to Mexico?? LOL At this point I have nothing to lose, but I do have that old guilt thing and dont know if I could just sit back lol

My son is ill and I owe doctors again for new stuff too. Maybe Mexico isnt too far lolol
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So glad to hear you have won your SSD, but do take all this bull the insurance is giving you to your attorney. I would not give them a penny untill I found out what my rights are.

What a bunch of blood suckers we have in this world!

Take care hon, and be sure of what you are doing, get advice!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Thank you Shirl,
    I have contacted my lawyer. I really wonder tho if he is in "bed" with the ins co?? lol Everything they have done to me he explains is normal for ins companies, and there is no bad faith at all. I dont understand how they can lie to you, hold back ins payment you were approved for, and now of course wanting much more than ssd gave me.
    I think I am in a nightmare and cant get out lol I go for surgery on Tuesday I think I am just going to worry about getting thru that then this.
    Thanks Shirl
    hugs to you
    Denise
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

that you can request to pay ins company back in payments or they can keep your disability check to make up for it. I'm not sure but a good place to ask questions like this is you go to yahoo groups (Disinissues-L) is what the group is called and they answer questions for you like this. I hope I dont get into trouble by posting this but its not a url address.
    Good Luck
    If my SSDI is approved then I'll be in same boat
    Carlacat
  10. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Carla, thank you! I will look it up on Yahoo. Good luck with your ssd :)
    hugs to you
    Denise
  11. JannyW

JannyW New Member

When my partner got the first check from SSA, she had to repay her disability insurance benefits. It makes no sense to me at all, but she said it's a common practice. Wonder what all those premiums are going for??

Jan ^v^
  12. teach6

teach6 New Member

They even gave me the option of having my payment from them each month reduced by the amount I should be getting each month from SSDI and disability retirement. If I had chosen that path I would be in the poor house now! I know I will have to pay them back for most of what they have paid out, but they only pay me 10 months a year and my retirement and SSDI will pay 12 months, so I figure I'll have those two months as a bonus each year!

Before I hired a SSDI attorney I asked about my having to pay his expenses when the LTD company had told me they would get all the back pay I received. His answer was his fees will be deducted from my inital payment from SSDI, so I will not have to pay that part back.

He is well-known in the area for getting SSDI for PWC's and has been recommended heartily by everyone I have spoken with. So I have no reason not to believe him. He has done this a lot more times than I have!

I hope you are able to work this out with your disability company without having to resort to paying more attorney fees. I would defintiely ask your SSDI attorney for his opinion on this first. He should have experience with the matter and be able to give you a straight anaswer. Also, check with your local support group. They have proved to be invaluable to me.

Barbara