I FINALLY WON

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tgeewiz, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

After two years and two denials I finally appeared before a judge last month in Houston.

I just received the notice yesterday that I won my appeal.

I think that what really helped my case was that Dr. Salvato wrote a letter to the judge on my final visit stating that for every hour of work that I performed (even sedentary), I would require two hours of rest. This is of course in addition to the other paperwork that she completed.

I have a few questions for those who have already received SSDI:

1. The letter states that even though I won, the appeals council has the right to reverse this decision and deny me. How likely is this to happen?

2. How long does it usually take to receive the first check?

3. How long does it take to get Medicare? I need to see a GI doctor ASAP.

Also, a big thank you to Marti Zavala. The information on your post is invaluable.

Blessings to everyone!

Tim
  2. catnip5151

catnip5151 Member

Tim: I'm in NJ and once the judge approved me it only took 3 weeks for me to get my back pay. Hopefully it will be the same for you, I know how ruff it is going without a paycheck all that time..I doubt that there will be a problem once the judge granted it....

Good luck
    Kathy
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

medicare kicked in right away but payments took 2 months it is highly unlikley that it will be overruled
  4. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I also live in NJ do you live in North or South? I'm South. I'm still waiting for my hearing and it's coming up on 3 years since I filed. Every day I hope I hear something and nothing yet. Anyway I saw you were from NJ and thought I would ask where.
  5. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Congratulations Tim,
    I wish I had answers. I am also waiting a court date after almost 2 yrs.
    I am glad to hear your good news!
    hugs
    ginner
  6. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

Boy do I know how great that feels, congrats! Dont be very worried about a reversal, i am told it is very very rare, and I also was concerned about the same thing,, only because it is so good to be true we cant really believe it. Just hang in. Most offices are so over loaded they barely have time to handle active cases let alone over turn judges decisions.It will be different for everyone on how long it takes, are you getting back pay, it can take a few weeks. Also, medicare becomes active 6 months after you get your SSDI. Good luck
  7. tonia1990

tonia1990 New Member

Congrats Tim!
    Im so happy for you.
    Hugs,
    Tonia
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Congratulations on your win. I don't have any answers for you either but wish I did.

I just wanted to congratulate you. Also, wanted to ask what you were approved on.

BlueSky555
  9. DRAGONSGIRL

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
  10. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

to you. I just was approved as well (7/18), while waiting for my court date,so I can't answer your questions as I'm wondering as well. I'm scared too that the decision could be reversed at this point.

Hopefully soon!!

God bless

Trish
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  11. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Tim,
    Congratulations! I am so pleased for you as now the hard part is over and you can focus on your health. You are very welcome, I was hoping that the info I posted would be helpful to someone. Excellent!

Your questions and my reponses in ***.

1. The letter states that even though I won, the appeals council has the right to reverse this decision and deny me. How likely is this to happen?

***I don't believe that this is likely but I don't have experience here. I suggest asking this question to the yahoo group disinissues if you don't get any answers here.

2. How long does it usually take to receive the first check?

***I was approved in October (early) and my first monthly check was in December. I received my lumpsum backpay in November. It was in my account long before I rec'd the letter telling me it was depositied.

3. How long does it take to get Medicare? I need to see a GI doctor ASAP.

***It takes 24 months from the date of disability (not the date you were approved). My example - I was approved in Oct of 2006 but my date of disability (that THEY determine) was June 2005 so I only had to wait about 5 months from the time I was approved before Medicare kicked in.

***There are reps who can help you face to face, make the best decision about the best plan for you, if the 800 number or website, isn't enough info for you to make a decision.

Again, congratulations!
    Marti
  12. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

congratulations! I got mine Saturday and you just asked all my questions ;)
  13. jmq

jmq New Member

I am so happy for you and the others who have won the ssdi battle. I am still in the battle. I hope some of your good fortune rubs off on me!!!

Enjoy the relief..
    jmq