I forgot, is CFS or FIBROMYALGIA listed as a SSDI DISABLITY?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Mar 30, 2007.

1. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I am sure this has been a topic but foggy brain cells cant remember. I told my primary care doctor today I was applying for SSDI and asked her if she needed any of my notes, she said no, all they do is request records, and said she wouldn't have to fill out paperwork? I told her I had heard otherwise, and she said no the govt. doesn't want to get involved with doctors? And she will send in my records when she gets the request. I am a little confused...I am working with Allsup and have my phone interview next week where they get all the info. Now I am wondering if that just means she won't fill out the papers. But she seemed sympathetic to me and said it depended on what was in my records if it met their criteria.
    She is a new doc for me (2 years) and I did request all my records from 1994 to 2005 paid 92 dollars, but there is a bunch of stuff in there about my fibromyalgia and anxiety.

She did give me a referall for functional capacity test for Copd cause she knows that is a listed as a disability. I had one several years ago.

I thoght she had to fill out a form. I did hand a bunch of notes and all my sx to my rheumy last week, who copied them. Well I guess I will ask my Allsup rep.

Thanks if anyone knows!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  2. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I just looked at Social Security Secrets.com and it said fibro in itself without other stuff in not listed specifically but it is not impossible.

I also read that the Functional Capacity Assessment is reqired and very helpful as it specifically can let the doctor list your exact limitation. I found a blank one online and will ask Allsup if I need to have rheumy fill it out. It is not that long or difficult looking to fill out at all. Maybe he would do it at an appointment with me? He had just said he would send in what they asked for when I told him. [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  3. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

Despite the 1999 SSR rulings below, you won't find CFS or FM in this book - the book used by the SSA claims adjudicators who decide whether or not you are disabled.

But the ruling states:

EFFECTIVE/PUBLICATION DATE: 4/30/99

SSR 99-2p: POLICY INTERPRETATION RULING
    TITLES II AND XVI: EVALUATING CASES INVOLVING CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (CFS)
    PURPOSE:
    To restate and clarify the policies of the Social Security Administration for developing and evaluating title II and title XVI claims for disability on the basis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), also frequently known as Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome.

INTRODUCTION:
    CFS is a systemic disorder consisting of a complex of symptoms that may vary in incidence, duration, and severity. The current case criteria for CFS, developed by an international group convened by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as an identification tool and research definition, include a requirement for four or more of a specified list of symptoms. These constitute a patient's complaints as reported to a provider of treatment.

However, the Social Security Act (the Act) and our implementing regulations require that an individual establish disability based on the existence of a medically determinable impairment; i.e., one that can be shown by medical evidence, consisting of medical signs, symptoms and laboratory findings. Disability may not be established on the basis of an individual s statement of symptoms alone.

This Ruling explains that CFS, when accompanied by appropriate medical signs or laboratory findings, is a medically determinable impairment that can be the basis for a finding of "disability." It also provides guidance for the evaluation of claims involving CFS.

POLICY INTERPRETATION:
    CFS constitutes a medically determinable impairment when it is accompanied by medical signs or laboratory findings, as discussed below. CFS may be a disabling impairment.

Definition of CFS
    CFS is a systemic disorder consisting of a complex of symptoms that may vary in incidence, duration, and severity. It is characterized in part by prolonged fatigue that lasts 6 months or more and that results in substantial reduction in previous levels of occupational, educational, social, or personal activities. In accordance with criteria established by the CDC, a physician should make a diagnosis of CFS "only after alternative medical and psychiatric causes of chronic fatiguing illness have been excluded" (Annals of Internal Medicine, 121:953-9, 1994). CFS has been diagnosed in children, particularly adolescents, as well as in adults.

Under the CDC definition, the hallmark of CFS is the presence of clinically evaluated, persistent or relapsing chronic fatigue that is of new or definite onset (i.e., has not been lifelong), cannot be explained by another physical or mental disorder, is not the result of ongoing exertion, is not substantially alleviated by rest, and results in substantial reduction in previous levels of occupational, educational, social, or personal activities. Additionally, the current CDC definition of CFS requires the concurrence of 4 or more of the following symptoms, all of which must have persisted or recurred during 6 or more consecutive months of illness and must not have pre-dated the fatigue:

Self-reported impairment in short-term memory or concentration severe enough to cause substantial reduction in previous levels of occupational, educational, social, or personal activities;
    Sore throat;
    Tender cervical or axillary lymph nodes;
    Muscle pain;
    Multi-joint pain without joint swelling or redness;
    Headaches of a new type, pattern, or severity;
    Unrefreshing sleep; and
    Postexertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.
    Within these parameters, an individual with CFS can alsoexhibit a wide range of other manifestations, such as muscleweakness, swollen underarm (axillary) glands, sleepdisturbances, visual difficulties (trouble focusing orsevere photosensitivity), orthostatic intolerance (e.g.,lightheadedness or increased fatigue with prolongedstanding), other neurocognitive problems (e.g., difficulty comprehending and processing information), fainting,dizziness, and mental problems (e.g., depression,irritability, anxiety).
  4. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I was told that SS only gets the records from when you were unable to work, for me was 2002, and my cfs dx was in 1995 I think. The fibro is documented in my file by a rheumatologist I still see after 2002. So how do they decide if I have cfs? It is mentioned alot....in my records.
  5. blkkat

blkkat New Member

sorry to hi jack your tread but Skippy seems to have some answers to stuff I'd like to know. so here goes my DR and claim person are saying chronic pain is what there putting on my paper , they said it should be approved. whats your spin on CHRONIC PAIN-verses- FIBRO. thanks.--blakkat is it all in the wording?