I Forgot to Ask...RE: 1st Rheumatologist Visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Can anyone give me advise on what questions I should ask this new doctor?

I live almost three hours away from him so I can't just go back and forth as I would if he were closer.

I was diagnosed with FMS (in 1999) but not CFS and I honestly think I have CFS as well. Does diagnosis of CFS usually come from a Rheumy or a GP, either or both or non of the above?

Also, I was told by an orthopedic surgeon that my entire body was "out of alignment" (My knee caps are to the outside of my legs.) Should I bring this to his attention?

Wednesday is the big day so I'll be anxiously awaiting your responses!

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2008]
  2. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I would ask them everything you can think of and tell them about all current medical problems. When I went to see my Rheumy for the first time, I was told the diagnosis of FM was a process of elimination. They test for everything else and if it is all negative, then CONGRATS..... You have FM. Make a list of all the symptoms you have been experiencing. If you've done any research on line, print it off and take along to ask questions about. I am one that believes in being totally involved in my care and knowing what is going on. I do not know about the CFS, so I can't say who will diagnose you on that. I do know that the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask! Hang in there and good luck. I hope your Dr is able to help you.
  3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it took two years of tests (not including all the visits before anyone even questioning that I MAY have this) and dr's. office visits to finally diagnose me with FMS.

I think one of my main concerns it that initially I was told that this is not progressive but I honestly feel worse now than I ever have. I think that my stress level at work is far greater now than it ever has been and maybe that has something to do with it. Also, just everyday "life stresses" that are hard for me to deal with because I just didn't have the energy to "go there."

Anyone else have suggestions for me before Wednesday? I sure want to make this visit work my time and his effort!

4. One of the first things I would ask if he believes there is a fibro/cfs. Some don't , so that would waste your time and $$$. Yes bring up the out of alignment, it may be part of the problem. Ask him if he sees alot of fibro/cfs patients. Other than that my mind is blank. having a fibro fog day.....Write a list of questions and take it out before he rushes out of the room . good luck.
  5. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I know I can tell a difference when the stress level is high. I was in such a Fibro Fog when we were getting ready to move to a new buidling. I barely remember things that happened. I was scaring myself and sleeping all the time. I would go to sleep when I came home and wake up the next morning feeling as if I had not slept. I thought it was depression. I hurt all over and felt like that Mack truck had my address permanently recorded and came back every nite to run over me. Now that we are moved and things are back to whatever is normal, my stress is down and I am feeling better. That Mack truck only hits me once in awhile now. I hope better days are ahead for you REAL soon! Hang in there.
  6. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

dear rockismom,

With a 3 hour drive - I would ask anything and everything you can think of. Write your questions down and bring them with you. I would absolutely voice your concerns about CFS and it can't hurt to mention your knees - but I think the orthopedic surgeon would be the expert on that - especially if surgery is a possiblity.

Make sure you BRING all your meds with you and the results of any testing you had (so as not to repeat anything that is not needed).

Also, ask the rheumy to forward all info to your GP. Bring your GP's fax number and address.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

For me to get questions I should ask my new Rheumy tomorrow! Any more suggestions?

Thanks so much - in advance!