"I Fought Tiredness and Won" from FIRST Magazine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, May 9, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

In the May 15th "First" magazine is an article about a woman searching for answers to her sudden, low energy levels. She'd crawl into bed shortly after waking up.

One doctor diagnosed her with FIBROMYALGIA, another doctor decided she had ulcers. This woman was lucky, she found that she was allergic to everything she was tested for! After 'extremely sensitive blood testing i finally got the diagnosis that fit: EPSTEIN-BARR VIRUS had amped up my immune response, causing my body to battle even innocuous foods as invaders. That intensified my allergic reactions and triggered the EXTREME FATIGUE AND DEPRESSION.'

She says.."I refused to accept a cloudy, medicated life."

Here's the one minute quiz included in the article.

COULD FOOD REACTIONS BE TRIGGERING YOUR FATIGUE AND BRAIN FOG?

If you suffer from two or more of the following, ask your doctor about the lgG Food Intolerance blood test. (For a home version, log on to YorkAllergyUSA.com)

:unexplained fatigue
    :brain fog
    :depression
    :stomach problems/nausea
    :headaches
    :skin rashes/swelling of the lips, face or hands
    :wheezing/difficulty breathing

It also discusses acupuncture techniques. For more info on that log on to NAET.com

Strange, the above symptoms do mimic fm. Pardon the pun, but it's food for thought!!!
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I pick up that magazine occasionally, but missed that one.

I am inclined to think that everything is connected. The symptoms sound so much like FM, but then again so many FM sufferers have allergies. It's all one big jigsaw puzzle and we're trying to put all the pieces together in the right order.

I have been seriously considering acupuncture. I don't think it could possibly hurt any more than I hurt now.

Linda
  3. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

yes, i've been contemplating too!

a friend of mine has been receiving accupuncture twice monthly for her back and it's been working wonders....up until last week when she had back spasms and pain shooting down her leg.

BUT she's been rec'ing accup. for a year.

how long have you been considering?? seems i've been contemplating far too long.
  4. bluemoon1monday

bluemoon1monday New Member

Yes! I read that same article. The one thing that stood out in my thinking was - she never mentioned pain as part of the problem.

With my fibro the pain is one of the major factors if not the main factor. Is pain a big part of your problems?

Bluemoon
  5. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

for sure, pain is a good part of my weeks!

in part, i posted the article because it caught my eye that a dr diagnosed her w/fm. and wondering how common or uncommon THAT mistake is!!

i know, she hasn't mentioned pain. and the breathing symptom sure is a sign of something other than fm.

also, if anyone out there suspects a food allergy (along w/their fibro) her story can help. there's lots of talk here on foods, reactions, etc.

just adding to the impossibly complicated web of our diagnoses!! ugh.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

With these illnesses, it often takes a lot of time to get properly diagnosed. Allergies often play a large part in FMS and CFIDS as well. With FMS, though, there has to be the tender points in order for the dx to be "officially FMS." Many are sick for years before the tender points show up. FMS often travels with CFIDS, Lupus, MS, and other illnesses. Most with FMS do suffer from pain and if pain is not present, I would suspect something else.

Love, Mikie

7. victoria

victoria New Member

My daughter's BF was a cook .. he knew he had an allergy to mangoes and avoided them... but suddenly started getting allergic reactions after eating almost anything, to the point of having to go to the hospital for emergency care several times.

It's a long story that I won't go into here, but he has an extremely limited diet now... he now carries an epi pen with him always, has to take food with him to eat if he goes anywhere, etc...

And one of the things he said was that he had been having a lot of pain in his feet and lower legs over the past few years, he thought it was cuz he was a bit overweight (ex-football player!) -

but after he went on the restricted diet, all the pain disappeared within a month!

Even the Arthritis Assoc. says to try avoiding nightshade plants and red meat... and some arthritic conditions now are associated with bacterial infections.

so there is a lot of connection with food allergies and pain.

V

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]