I found a trick to getting my disability approved!! FINALLY!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamj, Oct 24, 2002.

1. pamj

pamj New Member

I originally filed for SSDI and long-term disability in November, 2001. I had been paying for a long-term disability insurance plan through my employer. SSDI approved me within 6 months, but my LTD company has been stringing me along for months. Each of their letters said they should have an answer within 30 days, but it's been 4 months since the last one.

A family member, with a bit of legal knowledge, suggested that I send a Chapter 93A 30-day demand letter. I called my insurance case manager on Monday (she said she didn't have a decision yet) and I stated that I'd call back on Wednesday to check again. I told her that in the meantime I'd prepare a demand letter to mail on Wednesday if she did not have an answer.

She called me on Wednesday to tell me that I'm approved!!!

The good news is that now I will get the past year back-pay, and a monthly income that will allow my husband & I to start house hunting! We had to move in with my mom 10 months ago due to my illness & financial situation.

DO NOT let your insurance companies jerk you around! They will always have a reason for a delay in giving you information. The longer they wait, the better chance they have of people giving up. Also, they get to keep gaining interest on the money they're holding.

Here's where I found the info on the demand letter. I'm sure it may be different for each state, but here's where the Massachusetts info is. Hopefully you can search for your own state in the same manner. In the search engine (like Yahoo), I typed in 'massachusetts attorney general', then chose 'publications' from the menu on the left, then chose 'tips' from the pulldown menu under 'consumer protection'. The tip is the first one, dated Monday, Feb 4. Read the first page, then view the sample letter with instructions.

I'm sure it would have been helpful if I actually ended up sending it, but obviously the threat of receiving it was enough for my insurance company to make a decision. I had so much info from my doctors that they would have had a hard time going against me in court, and they would have had to pay triple if I won. I'm glad they realized it, and now I can stop stressing from fighting with them.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to share parts of my letter since I know how hard it is for us to put things like this into words sometimes. I think I wrote a pretty good letter...too bad I didn't get to send it :)

take care,
    Pam
  2. pamj

pamj New Member

I originally filed for SSDI and long-term disability in November, 2001. I had been paying for a long-term disability insurance plan through my employer. SSDI approved me within 6 months, but my LTD company has been stringing me along for months. Each of their letters said they should have an answer within 30 days, but it's been 4 months since the last one.

A family member, with a bit of legal knowledge, suggested that I send a Chapter 93A 30-day demand letter. I called my insurance case manager on Monday (she said she didn't have a decision yet) and I stated that I'd call back on Wednesday to check again. I told her that in the meantime I'd prepare a demand letter to mail on Wednesday if she did not have an answer.

She called me on Wednesday to tell me that I'm approved!!!

The good news is that now I will get the past year back-pay, and a monthly income that will allow my husband & I to start house hunting! We had to move in with my mom 10 months ago due to my illness & financial situation.

DO NOT let your insurance companies jerk you around! They will always have a reason for a delay in giving you information. The longer they wait, the better chance they have of people giving up. Also, they get to keep gaining interest on the money they're holding.

Here's where I found the info on the demand letter. I'm sure it may be different for each state, but here's where the Massachusetts info is. Hopefully you can search for your own state in the same manner. In the search engine (like Yahoo), I typed in 'massachusetts attorney general', then chose 'publications' from the menu on the left, then chose 'tips' from the pulldown menu under 'consumer protection'. The tip is the first one, dated Monday, Feb 4. Read the first page, then view the sample letter with instructions.

I'm sure it would have been helpful if I actually ended up sending it, but obviously the threat of receiving it was enough for my insurance company to make a decision. I had so much info from my doctors that they would have had a hard time going against me in court, and they would have had to pay triple if I won. I'm glad they realized it, and now I can stop stressing from fighting with them.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to share parts of my letter since I know how hard it is for us to put things like this into words sometimes. I think I wrote a pretty good letter...too bad I didn't get to send it :)

take care,
    Pam
  3. contessa

contessa New Member

I threated mine with a descrimination suit and they've been really nice ever since. Love seeing them jump through hoops. Will get mine decision in next couple of weeks. I now have my very own personal 'senior analyist'. Will still sue if they turn me down. I'm going to look further into your info, see if it applied in Wisconsin. Never hurts to have a spare horse in the yard. Happy house hunting!!
  4. marilew

marilew New Member

Hi, and a big congratulations. I am going to search the net the same way you did and see if there is something similar in Canada.

I have been given the big final "denial", and now I am proceeding with a lawyer, but I do all my own homework anyway. Thanks for the tip and wish me luck finding something like that in Canada.

I too have improved my letter writing skills tremendously over the past 2 years of fighting. I have researched every angle that I can think of, and now I have finally caught my Insuance Co. tampering with documents in a test that they made me go for. The thing will be proving it, but I know that I should be able to. They sure are crooked! Now it's going to be their turn to be stressed!

Happy House Hunting...I can't wait til I can stop all this stressing too.

Mare