I found help with narcotic induced constipation!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by campbeck97, Nov 14, 2012.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi All , just wanted to post that after trying everything under the sun for severe narcotic induced constipation I have found a combination that works for me every morning now,. what a blessing!! If you have suffered like I have please give this a try. take 3 senna 8.6mg tabs and 1 100mg capsule colace in the morning and before bed take 3 more senna 8.6 mg tabs. generics are fine. I had these on hand and usually tried taking them all at once at bedtime which sometimes worked but most of the time did not and a friend of mine (who also is on large doses of morphine) said he gets really good results but he said you have to split the dose am and pm, I didnt acutally think it would work but thought I would give it try. IT WORKS!!! No diarrhea,no constipation just get up and have normal bms. Now I know this isnt a great topic and only those that have dealt with this horrible problem will truely appreciate it. I just wanted to share and hopefully help someone else. love and prayers to all!
  2. Willow77

Willow77 Member

Thanks for the tip. I have this problem also and will try this. I have been using Miralax but it is so expensive.
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

you are so welcome! I cant tell you how happy I was to find this combination after suffering for years with this problem ever since I was placed on morphine several times a day for the pain. I buy a large bottle of 1,000 tablets on ebay for about $15.-16.00 which includes shipping.yes much cheaper than miralax and for me miralax just didnt work for me if fact made it worse. Good luck and enjoy being normal again. GBU
  4. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

you are so welcome! I cant tell you how happy I was to find this combination after suffering for years with this problem ever since I was placed on morphine several times a day for the pain. I buy a large bottle of 1,000 tablets on ebay for about $15.-16.00 which includes shipping.yes much cheaper than miralax and for me miralax just didnt work for me if fact made it worse. Good luck and enjoy being normal again. GBU
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Is high doses of magnesium. I take it at bed time and have been doing this for years. So it in turn had drastically helped my IBS which was mostly the constipating kind. Something I've had do deal with my whole life (I am 48)
  6. Willow77

Willow77 Member

Hi camp

Is the senna you use the tabs or the capsules of chopped up senna leaves. I had been using the leaves capsules but it is causing problems with the ibs. I don't digest green vegetables including a lot of herbs very well. Maybe the tabs would not cause the nausea.

$16 is a very good price for 1000. I just paid $8 at the drug store for 100. I wanted to try the tabs to see if my tummy could take them.

I could use all the help I can get looking for bargains. I will lose my health insurance when my husband retires. He is 12 years older than me so I won't qualify for medicare for years so I am looking for less expensive alternatives to what I currently use. I hope this works.
  7. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

HI, I USE THE SOLID TABLETS AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM. IT IS SUCH A RELIEF TO FINALLY FIND SOMETHING TO WORK SO I CAN STILL TAKE MY NEEDED PAIN MEDICATIONS.I SOMETIMES WOULD NOT GO FOR 7-10 DAYS AND WAS MISERABLE UNTIL I STARTED THIS COMBINATION,AND THIS WENT ON FOR YEARS.I HAD TRIED INCREASING FIBER AND TONS OF PRUNES AND PRUNE JUICE, AND HARSH LAXATIVES,ENEMAS AND NOTHING!THE $16.00 IS AVERAGE PRICE ON EBAY FOR THE 1000 SOMTIMES I GET THEM FOR $12.00 PER 1000. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND I SURE HOPE AND PRAY THIS WORKS FOR YOU! GOD BLESS
  8. slammed

slammed Member

i think that senna is a laxative, and as such isn't good for colon health.
  9. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I dont doubt its not good for my colon but not going for at all for up to 2 weeks isnt real healthy either! I have tried all the so called natural stuff,increasing fiber, watching different things in my diet and even harsh laxatives and enemas and sometimes even they didnt help me at all.When you have lived with daily impactions for years on end then you would understand what a blessing this is for me! I'm not pushing it at anyone Im just throwing the option out there if you are in severe pain and have no choice but to take strong narcotics to help somewhat live a normal life then more than likey not you will have constipation issues at some point.
  10. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I also find help from senna laxatives. I discovered that Ex-Lax are senna and have been taking them for several years.

Be careful to read the amount of senna listed on the package if you try ex-lax because one of the little squares is about twice the amount as one senna tablet usually is. About 15 gm each.

These are easy to take, no swallowing pills and the taste isn't bad either. I've had impactions and I agree with you, taking laxatives is far superior than the suffering with extreme constipation. Been there. GB66