I found some courage tonight!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 26, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I finally called my neighbor to ask him to keep his dogs quiet at night. They bark almost nonstop. I hope this helps, I've been unable to sleep through the night because of this for awhile now.

That's bad for anyone, but for a fibromite, it's the start of a flare!

Anyway, we talked about some options, but he is not interested in training these dogs, or having them trained. They are there to guard his yard. Not my idea of dog partnership!

So, we'll see if there is any improvement. I hope so!

took me awhile to get desperate enough and muster the courage, but I did it!

Peace,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  2. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hello Beth,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having to put up with dogs barking at night. I am a major animal lover and we currently have 3 cats and two dogs living with us. Our cats are not allowed outside and our dogs are inside for the night by about 6pm.

It's not natural for dogs to be barking at night unless something is troubling them. Here in Australia, people aren't allowed (it's against the law) to let their animals disturb neighbours (especially barking dogs) so perhaps you could make some enquiries with your local (municipal) authorities to see what can be done. You may actually be doing the dogs an enormous favour! But remember you have the right to a good night's sleep.

Please let us know how you go.

Cheers Jana
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Beth,

Good for you! I agree with the others, if the dogs keep barking, call the police. I'm sure there are ordinances against noise where you live. You've asked him nicely to take care of the problem and it won't be worth the hassle to engage with him further.

If he listened and the dogs stop barking, I would send him some toys for the dogs or something as a thank you.

If the police don't help you, you might try an animal rescue agency. Sometimes, if the animals are in bad living conditions, they just show up and take the animals away.

Have you tried ear plugs?

Good luck!

Francie
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I don't know where those dogs were last night, but I didn't hear them bark except faintly a few times. I think they were tied out on the other side of their house.

We each have a 2.5 acre lot, so moving the dogs can help a lot. Of course, if I can hear them an acre away, they are loud!

They were barking again this morning. I think the neighbors waited til my lights were on, then turned them loose in the yard.

The dogs are not mistreated, just not trained at all. And there are 3 or 4 of them, so they are a pack, and that can be dangerous. If he wants guard dogs, they need to be trained!

Funny, when I talked to the wife last night, I thought I heard her say "we'll have to kill them", and was speechless! What she really said was "you'll have to talk to Kevin" (her husband). Good old fibro and brain processing...

Anyway, one quiet night, although I kept listening for the barking! One night at a time...

thanks for your support and suggestions. If they keep on being quiet at night, I like the idea of dog toys as thank you gifts.

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

'we'll have to kill them' - poor dogs, glad you misheard.

Of course its your neighbours fault not the dogs but that would drive me mad, I just couldnt tolerate it.

Hope they keep them tied up on the other side every night

love
    Rosie
  6. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

Good for you. You did the right thing. How is it going now? Are the dogs still on the other side of the house?
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but I do have a sound machinw.It's great.Linda
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

It's been much quieter around here at night for 3 nights now. I just hope this continues! My neighbors really are nice people, just have unruly dogs that need training they are not getting.

Now if I could just get the *&%* mouse to stop the gnawing noises somewhere in the walls of my bedroom...!

I think I will get a sound machine.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback!

Peace,
    Beth.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A sound machine and a mouse trap.

Love, Mikie
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

I will clean out that bookcase tonight! I need to pack up its contents anyway. I'll get that noisy mouse! Sounds awfully big, though, from the volume of the gnawing noises in the wee hours this morning. Might need a BIG trap!

TGIF!!!!!!!!!

Beth.
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... the thought of a mouse in the house would drive me up the walls ! .. but the barking dogs problem .. we went through that too .. they 9 neighbors ) put training collars ( a little jolt every time they barked .. humane but affective ) on them and for the most part it has worked .. but I did have to complain about their daughter coming home in the wee hours and letting the dogs out ... now that was a 3 time "talking" too before I got results .. I hate to approuch anyone ( neighbors about problems ) but when you have your health and sanity on the line it is a "must " .. Hope it works out for you ! Good Luck !
    PS ... I have a fan going all the time in my bedroom .. it helps !
  12. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

You can purchase this device that goes on the dogs collar that defuses the noise. It's funny, it sounds like a little far away mechanical squeak when they bark.