I give up. I feel like such a failure.

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by ATC88, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ATC88

ATC88 New Member

Hello. I am a 20 year old female with alot of problems and my depression hasn't been getting any better. I am unemployed again and it's killing me. I hate school also. I always quit whatever job I have and it's because my anxiety and low self-esteem. I always feel embarassed if I mess up on little things and I cry easily. I often feel so dumb about quitting jobs just because I knew I would mess up or because I am so sensitive to people's critisim. I have had several anxiety attacks because of this and school also. I am so depressed as a college student and I know it will take a few more years to finish, but I just feel so exhuasted and stressed all of the time. Im so stressed about school and this semester hasn't even been hard. It;s just with my depression, I feel like this big failure and like I should just drop out because I have never been a straight A student anyway! My suicidal thoughts have been even worse than ever. I know Im just babbling on, but right now I'm just so confused.......
  2. moonmaiden3878

moonmaiden3878 New Member

please tell me floats your boat what are you passionate about? I have many of your symptoms.....
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I suggest you go to the left of this board and get to the Depression Board where you will have more replies.

First I suggest you should go to your primary care doctor for a full physical and blood work to make sure you are okay and hormones are in order. If everything comes out okay, then ask for the name of a good psychiatrist for you to see. The psychiatrist will be able to talk with you, analyze you and diagnose you as to what ailments they believe you have. That's the start of dealing with mental health problems. Know that depression is not only a mental health ailment, but can be a symptom of regular medical problems (which is why you see the doctor first) AND can be symptoms of several other mental health ailments. It is also possible to have one or more mental health ailments at the same time. That is why it is important to get professionals to diagnose and start to help you.

If you believe you cannot describe what you are going through to the doctors and cannot be totally honest with them, then print out the post you have written here on this board and give it to them as it says it all. To get help you have to reach out to professionals for help (which may not be comfortable for you) and continue going to appointments even if you think they may not be helping you. Therapy will be important to help you stop being negative about yourself and the efforts you make and thus catastrophizing about what might happen or people's critisim. If you must take medication, it can sometimes take 4 to 6 weeks for some of the meds to really take full effect so continue taking that medication and if it makes you feel funny or strange, don't stop the medication but instead call the doctor and let the doctor know how it makes you feel and let the doctor make the decision as to what should be done, if anything. Taking yourself off medications can be dangerous and some meds shouldn't be stopped abruptly. Good luck and hugs.