I GIVE UP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leaknits, May 24, 2008.

1. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I mean it. I give up. I've tried to treat this wretched thing by going to dr after dr...which got me labeled as a drug-seeker, not a seeker after truth and real help.

I've tried to treat it with so many vitamins and supplements, the Mail It To Me companies send me birthday cards. :).

I've tried to talk with drs about research I've done. They resent it and won't do any on their own time, either. I understand, their own time is just that, THEIRS.
    Does that mean they don't have to allow me to put a page or two of cfs/me/whatever it's called this week into my file?

And about that file. After being alarmed by an article in a major newspaper which had to do with hackers getting into systems where patient info is stored in hospital computers, I asked for copies of my file. The author of the article said hosp heads recommended that patients have copies of all file info.
    No. Can't have it. Dr said "Lea, I can't give you copies of everything that's in your file. If I do it for you I'll have to do it for everyone (odd, but I didn't see anyone else asking for file contents...) and if I did that I wouldn't be able to do anything else."

Okay. I didn't ask poor overworked dr...who won't take down an outside banner proclaiming he's still accepting new patients....to do the photocopying.
    I asked the lady who runs the front desk if, IF she had the time, could she copy a few pages of my still very slim file at one time and maybe later take the next few pages, and so on. I even said I would pay for the copies and chunk in some more for her time.

Then came the day of an appt with God oops I mean dr. In front of my care-giver, the man scolded me up one side and down the other for having the nerve to ask for my property, the dr is just holding it for me.
    Of course after he was done with that, he had also expended the 3 minutes I had with him this month. So no questions got answered except one, and there was no time to ask about the ever-swelling lymphs, must-be-rotting sinuses, raw throat, fog-mind, insomnia, unrelenting pain, and the odd effects of the two new These Will Help You's given simultaneously which I have begged him not to do. I don't know which one is doing what but I'm about to flush the whole mess.

Doubtlessly, Medicare and MedicAid will be pleased. For one thing neither agency will have to fork over the $72 it costs when a patient opens dr's office door.

Lea.
    p.s. Darn it, I don't want to give up. I'm no quitter, I'm just exhausted and confused. Should I, a few days before appt day, send him a letter in which I tell him what's going on with me right then? Would that help any? HELP! Please?
    Option 2, that being the one about Find A New Doc, Lea, is dead here. This guy is the bottom of the barrel and I know because I call at least 2 times a month to local hosp to find out if anyone in this county knows how to adequately treat cfs/me/a rose by any other name would still have thorns.
  2. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

I just posted not too long ago that I have given up on doctors. I do understand your frustrations. I'm sure you are in very good company. Vent away...vent away. Doctors dont even listen to me. They think I'm suffering from depression and that I need to see a shrink. So here I sit suffering with no help.

You are not alone. We will find somebody to listen to us....eventually...I HOPE!
  3. poets

poets Member

Lea,

You are so right! I get so tired of these doctors and their pompous attitudes. You couldn't have said it better!! They're all too quick to have their hand out for the money but can't seem to spare any time at all to do what they're asked! I'm dealing with one who's a real pain right now, but not for long!

Meg
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Lea,

Sorry to hear about some of your trevails. Just thought I'd mention that I'm pretty sure doctors are legally obligated to give copies of medical records when requested. You may want to check your legal rights.

Best to you.

Wayne
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Yes, they have to give you copies. I would file a complaint or let them thing I am going to first and see what happens.
  6. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Mindyandy420, Poets/Meg, Waynesrhythm/Wayne, Msvsgblue, Caledonia, Purplelady 1:

You dear people! Thank you for the replies; the concern I read made me want to cry. As I've vented already, what I seem to get from dr is scorn and Go Away, Come back in a month.

Purplelady1 said: A supportive relationship with a physician is important for people with cfs.
    Check the good doctor list on this message board to see if you can find a supportive doctor in your area. There is an article on the Chronic Fatigue Association of America website called Educating the Medical Community. It gives instructions for doctors about how to help people with cfs.

Purplelady1, you're right. We HAVE to have a supportive dr. I will indeed check the good doctor list on the board here.Thank you for the idea of contacting CFAA and getting a copy of Educating The Medical Community. Hey, maybe dr will even read the thing! I don't know, though; when I gave him a copy of the Medicare Plan D Formulary of HealthNet Orange he said "I don't need this" and tossed it in the trash. WHATTA GREAT GUY.
    Caledonia said:
    **Finding a Good Doc

To find a doctor you can click on purple Doctors tab at the top of the page of this website. Then click on the link for Co-Cure CFS & FM Good Doctor List.

There is also a list of good docs in a post in the shaded area at the top of the first page of the board. The post is called "Please Post Your Good Doctor Here".

You can also make a new post. In the title say you have CFS, the city you live in, and that you need a good doc. That way it will get more attention from people in your area, who can recommend who they go to.

This will make your search a lot quicker.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It sounds like you are going to have to be willing to travel to find a good doc. Mine is a 4 hour drive away in another city. Well worth the effort. Not expensive either. I saw him 4 times a year when I was applying for disability and now I see him 2 times a year. We work by phone and mail in between.

Also a naturopath might get you there quicker than trying to figure out the supplements for yourself. I also have a naturopath in my own city, which has been very helpful. My sister is helping to pay for that, otherwise, I couldn't afford it. (about $300 a month in supplements). See them about once a year at this point. Work by phone in between.

CALEDONIA, thank you very much for your advice. I'll check the good dr list...if I didn't know some drs SELF-REFER to get onto the list because they want more patients and don't know anything about how to treat CFS/ME, I'd feel more confident in finding a GOOD one.
    Naturopath...we don't have one in Lake County CA who accepts my MediCare/MedicAid. Please believe me, I'm not just sitting here whining. My "fingers have done the walking" via phoning every possible helper I could find in the phone book.
    Travel over long distances isn't possible. I do have a helper and she does drive but she has a life and a family to tend to. Then there's the crushing exhaustion that the travelling means.
    I need a rich uncle!! Living on SSA (Disabled Person) income means I don't have the $$$ to hand to a naturopath, darn.
    MSVSGBLUE SAID:
    Records

Yes, they have to give you copies. I would file a complaint or let them thing I am going to first and see what happens.

They HAVE to give me copies? Oh, boy. This is going to be fun and I really mean that! It just happens the current head of county medical services used to be my PCP and he likes me. Perhaps a phone call from him to dr would get things moving.
    It was weird, the way dr acted angry when he was telling me about how I can't have my filed info.
    WAYNESRHYTHM/WAYNE SAID:Sorry to hear about some of your trevails. Just thought I'd mention that I'm pretty sure doctors are legally obligated to give copies of medical records when requested. You may want to check your legal rights.

Wayne I will this very day get on the phone some more and check out senior law practice and some other aid agencies we do have here in the wilds of Northern CA. Thank you very much for the brain-jog!
    POETS/MEG SAID:You are so right! I get so tired of these doctors and their pompous attitudes. You couldn't have said it better!! They're all too quick to have their hand out for the money but can't seem to spare any time at all to do what they're asked! I'm dealing with one who's a real pain right now, but not for long!

Bless you, Meg. Sometimes (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, whew)I get to thinking "dr just doesn't like me, that's why he's being such a jerk...he was laughing with and being nice to the patient just before me..."
    You're right, too, about how too many drs won't do anything that's real for us. I have asked this one to order up Serotonin and Norepinephrine (gad I hope that's spelled right)level test. He went into a tirade about how complicated the process is but stopped when I told him it's just a blood draw, doc, the lab does blood draws all day long. It's as if I had asked him to do the lab work! No, he wouldn't write the order for me to take to lab...
    MINDYANDY420 SAID: Hang in there

I just posted not too long ago that I have given up on doctors. I do understand your frustrations. I'm sure you are in very good company. Vent away...vent away. Doctors dont even listen to me. They think I'm suffering from depression and that I need to see a shrink. So here I sit suffering with no help.

You are not alone. We will find somebody to listen to us....eventually...I HOPE!

Thank you, MindyAndy. I'm hearing from e-buddies with CFS/ME all over this country that they, too, are wanting to drop-kick their drs to the curb.
    I think drs must take lessons as to how not to listen; bet that's one class my guy passed with flying colors.
    PCP before this one thought I was nuts; he sent me to his pet shrink who kept asking me questions I felt were either not relevant or none of his bleeping business.
    For those of us who like their shrinks I apologize for my attitude re those drs. It's just that I don't need any more mind-melting drugs, this d'd is handling burning out my mind very well on its' own, AND never have I heard of talk curing a physical ailment.
    I really do resent it when drs presume CFS/ME is a mental illness. Oh, curse words!! Just because a malady can cause mental aberrations it doesn't mean the patient is mentally ill.
    Again, dear people, I thank all of you. HUGS!

Lea.