I GOT DISABILITY BENEFITS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springrose22, Dec 8, 2005.

1. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I was denied work disability benefits first time around, but put a lot of work into an appeal and got the acceptance letter today! YAAAAY. Now, I don't have to worry so much about money. But, I am too sick to continue this right now, so I'm going to lie down. Love to all. Marie
  2. maripat

maripat New Member

So very happy for you.
    Maripat
  3. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

yes this is very hard, and overwelming! get some well needed rest and what a great christmas gift! im struggling with terrible pain and its taking everything out of me trying to get all this work done so hopefully this time i will be approved. cant beleave how hard we have to work at this even with a lawyer ! seems like we have to do everything just to get a approval. sheeesh sorry im venting here, really bad pain tonight. good job!

love Ronda
  4. sunshine54

sunshine54 New Member

yesterday and I filed in April and saw their disability doctor on 11/23. I just had my 2nd surgery this year on my neck 11/29. My file that I gave them is so thick it won't all fit in a one file folder.

I'm too exhausted and hurting to even think about fighting with them right now.
  5. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

So glad to hear you got what you deserved and right at Christmas time too. That's great!!!!!!!!!!
    Get some well deserved rest and feel better soon.
    Hugs to you!!!!!!!!!!
    Stinker56
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Congratulations!

Love, Mikie
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm so happy for you!!!!

Janet
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

What welcome news for you.Linda
  9. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

just wondering ? before you got the offical letter that you were appovered did you get any other letter like ,,they called it {prc} for a pass word or something? i`m waiting myself for answer from ss. i was also denied the first time so i had to appeal.,,gmom,,,,
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

To those who asked, so far I have only received the letter that I was accepted about 5 days ago. Then, I had to reply telling them all of my income from July 15/05 on. They are going to substract any income I had from what they will send me. I've arranged to have deposits to my account, and the way the letter read, as soon as they got my income information, they would deposit an amount to cover the period from July 15 to Dec. 15, then monthly after that. When I get the deposit I will update you. It certainly is a huge relief, I can relate to feeling stressed wondering how you are going to pay your bills and being sick on top of it. If anyone wants any further info on what I did I can expand on that, there was quite a lot of personal work that went into this. Let me know, and take care all. Love, Marie
  11. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

No, I didn't get any password or anything, and the benefit comes from Great West Life through work, and, also I'm in Canada, so some things will be different. The company is making sure that I am also applying for Government Disability, and if I get that, then the company will deduct that amount from what they give. Still haven't heard from the gov't disability except to say that they have received my application. Good luck, and if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Marie
  12. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

** i`m so glad your getting your benefits,,i`m in tx so i guess ss is different here,, thay haven`t send anything to me saying if i was appoved or not only that paper saying that i need to have a pass word and so on,,,, i was justing wondering ,,, thank you for the the info. keep me posted,,,,gmom,,,,,
  13. smileyfacecookie

smileyfacecookie New Member

also...It was on Nov.21st that I got approved. I am still waiting...don't know when I will recieve it but it can't be none to soon..God bless and I am so happy for you
  14. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Yea.

So happy for you.
  15. pookeysmom

pookeysmom New Member

Marie,

Congratulations!

How did you do it? What info did you have to send? I have sero negative RA -so they don't belief that one. Also my doctor says I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, she examined the SI joints films herself, the radiologists just say mild changes, and I tested negative for the genetic markers. I have 17 of 18 tender spots for FM, with confirmation from a Chiropractor.

The only evidence I have is a high sed rate that was lowered after a few weeks of Enbrel. The imaging reports all show mild changes.

to make things worse I went back to work after I got the first denial. We really need my paycheck to live. I have exhausted my 2 allowed appeals, the only thing left is legal action. Do you have any advice? I am living and working with too much pain and fatigue, and I am not sure how much longer I can keep this up.

thanks,
    Laurie

16. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I made up a paper entitled "Why I can't work at my job as a ..." To it I attached a copy of my job description. Then, referring to each of the tasks and responsibilities which make up my job description, I described why I couldn't perform such a task. For instance, I need to be very careful with medications at work, so due to the fact that I have brain fog, I couldn't handle medications for others, could I? Get the idea? I also made up a paper entitled, "A day in the life of a ..." and described my day from the time I get up in the morning until I come home later. For me, I started with: "If I take a shower in the morning, I need to lie down afterward for 1 or 2 hours." So, this would indicate to whoever read it that I would have a great deal of trouble even getting to work. I also made up a "history" of my illness. I started with April of 2004, when I suddenly became ill with what I thought was the flu, and was very sick for about a week, then never fully recovered, and continued to get worse. I listed all of my symptoms, and their recurrence, and increase in severity over the next few months, until I had to stop working in Feb. 05. I also made a comparison in this last paper between my pre illness abilities and my present abilities. For example, I used to walk 4 kms in 45 mins. and now I can only walk .5 km in the same amount of time.

I gave all three of these papers to my Dr. and she was able to refer to them in her own time, and she composed a letter to the insurance company in support of my appeal.

One thing that is very important to remember is that the people who are going to decide if you are eligible for benefits or not, are interested in your INABILITY to perform your duties at work, not necessarily in your diagnosis. Make sense? So, you need to prove that you are unable to work because you can't think, can barely walk, have intractable pain, etc. Hope this is of help to you. It was a lot of work for me, but I don't think I would have won if I hadn't done it. Love to all. Marie
  17. pookeysmom

pookeysmom New Member

It sounds like I may have had some of the same information, but I gave it to the wrong person. If I had shown my Doctor first her office notes would have looked alot different. She is a wonderful person, but her focus was on making me better and not trying to prove a disability. At least now I know how to handle it if and when my condition gets worse.

My company had the oppourtunity to get rid of me recently and they didn't (my manager has new responsibilities and will not have a staff). I guess they won't use all of the information I gave them against me, at least for now. Now I have a new boss and I am not sure how much I should tell him about my medical conditions. My former manager knew everything.

Thanks again for the information,
    Laurie