I GOT LUCKY found my sister

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Aug 29, 2005.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Ill try to make this short.I have not seen my sister for 4 yrs she has been homeless and is a severe alcoholic.
    I wanted to find her cause my brother who was 50 died 3 wks ago of a heart attack.I filed out a missing persons report on her with a RI police dept.
    Well low and behold they had picked her up 3 months before for a refusing to move complaint.They gave me the address of who filed the report and I left him a note on his door.
    He called me 3 days later and said he thought he new were she was.Last weekend I picked him up and started to look for her.He said she was with a nasty guy.
    I decided to go to the police again gave his name,he had a record they gave me his address.Bad part of city .The guy I was with said he'd go in and see if she was there.He came out with her.
    She ran across the street crying and calling out my name I could of died.
    Would not come with me.
    That was OK I gave her my # .
    The next day she called from a neighbors house.We have seen each other every day since.I buy her as much food as I can afford.Had the jerk she was with arrested this Sunday at 4:AM for an outstanding warrant. Least I could do for the great help the police gave me.
    I just got her free medical for 1 YR. plus food 1 time a week for 1 yr.and dental that she badly needs teeth all rotten and in lots of pain.
    Also got her free counseling.Her only son is due home from Iraq in May.She has never met her 2 granddaughters.
    I would love to see her sober and all well in a nice place and she needs no jerks like shes had .
    She refuses alcohol counseling at this time but I'm taking it one step at a time . Don't want to scare her away. Its a beginning. I'm hoping to have my old sister back.I am 52 she is 48. We lost our parents 2 yrs ago she also did not know this till I told her.
    I wish she could move in with me but I cant hubby and I sold home and now live with my 89 yr old father in law.
    Sorry this was so long.There is help out there for people who need it. Her medical will be all free.
    I have FM CFS IBS osteo arthritis but will volunteer 2 hrs a week at a food bank and so will my sister.
    Thank you all had to tell my story.
    Sue
  2. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Your sister sure is blessed to have you in her life. Hopefully, she'll be able to turn her life around with the help you've given her. You're right, one step at a time. If you try to move too fast she may run. Many prayers being sent your way as well as to your sister.
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am so happy you found your sister, but I am also sad for the reason...my condolences for the loss of your brother.

Your sister sounds like she has missed out on life's most important moments...family, health, healthy relationships, etc. I admire you for taking the steps to help her on the road to a new life...at least, like you say, it's a start. Good for you.

But, please take care of yourself, also. If you have a husband and a father-in-law to live with, that must require lots of patience and plain hard work. Just get the rest and things that you need to keep on. OK?

Again, I'm glad you found your sister...enjoy your time together.

Hugs,
    Sue
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

in this story. That you never have and never will give up. Your sister has no idea, at this point, how fortunate she is to have such a wonderful friend and angel in you!

I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much sorrow, and I'm sure you know the road ahead will not be easy with her. Like you said, one day at a time.

You both will definately be in my prayers.

I'm seeing more and more how severly abuse of any kind, totally screws up our chances of having a decent life. My heart just goes out to those who have been chained by this lifestyle.

And for you-God bless you and give you strength to get through everything you need to do to help your sister. You are an amazing person-please keep us up to date, ok?? Take care! PG
  5. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

I am thrilled for you...love never gives up! God bless you for findng her and helping her. Prayers to you, your sister and the son in Iraq.

Blessings,

H Michael

PS We travel but my wife's family is from West Warwick.
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Thank you all for the prayers. Please do not worry I have not and will not give money. I will help her with doctors appointments and taking her to counseling.
    I will pay for some food when she needs it. The only thing I can afford right now.
    When and if she gets alcohol counseling and is completely clean . I will help her find a job and a place to live.That is a long way away. I know this.
    I hope all does not fail. But if it does .I will know in my heart that I gave it my best shot.
    Its all up to her whether or not she wants her life back.

Thank you all
    Sue
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

she is saying that to protect you!I am so glad you found her-not having to imagine horrible things.My prayers,Linda
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

My condolences on the loss of your brother and for the loss of your parents just two years ago. To lose three members of your family in such a short time is heartbreaking. I know that two years is such a short time because today is the anniversary of my own father's death--he died four years ago today, and that four years seems just like yesterday.

I am glad that you found your sister, however, Acesnanna advice sounds pretty good. I have never been around an alcoholic so I have no idea how you would or should treat them. I am fortunate that I was raised in a family where nobody ever drank, and my husband does not abuse alcohol--an ocassional beer now and then.

You are a wonderful person to do what you have done for your sister. I hope she realizes that and is able to get a grip on her problems so that she may be the real sister that you deserve to have.

People like you are what makes this world a great place to live in!! Bless you for your many acts of kindness.

Hope everything works out,
    Janet