I Got my Disabled Parking Placard......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by conrskin, Sep 26, 2002.

1. conrskin

conrskin New Member

I'm still not sure whether to be happy or sad that I even need it, but I actually got my Disabled Parking Placard yesterday (a permanent one). As soon as I got it, I started crying and couldn't stop. It's like its another affirmation from people maybe, that I'm not crazy, there IS something wrong with me, but then I'm sad that I even needed to try and get one.

For anyone else in California or anywhere for that matter, keep at it and try and find a doctor that will be willing to fill out the application. The doctor I see is a GP and she was convinced that it would be turned down and that she didn't think the state of CA would support it. (They did!) The worsed that can happen is they'll turn you down, but its worth trying, so go for it! I don't know if its my area (San Diego) or the entire state, but they DO approve them for Fibromyalgia if you have the Application for Diabled Person Placard or Plates signed off by a licensed doctor. She marked the block that says "A diagnosed disease or disorder which substantially impairs or interferes with mobility, or requires the aid of an assistant device for mobility (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, etc.) due to: FIBROMYALGIA

I hope this helps some of you that may be trying to get theirs. Good luck and gentle hugs :)

Sheri

2. conrskin

conrskin New Member

I'm still not sure whether to be happy or sad that I even need it, but I actually got my Disabled Parking Placard yesterday (a permanent one). As soon as I got it, I started crying and couldn't stop. It's like its another affirmation from people maybe, that I'm not crazy, there IS something wrong with me, but then I'm sad that I even needed to try and get one.

For anyone else in California or anywhere for that matter, keep at it and try and find a doctor that will be willing to fill out the application. The doctor I see is a GP and she was convinced that it would be turned down and that she didn't think the state of CA would support it. (They did!) The worsed that can happen is they'll turn you down, but its worth trying, so go for it! I don't know if its my area (San Diego) or the entire state, but they DO approve them for Fibromyalgia if you have the Application for Diabled Person Placard or Plates signed off by a licensed doctor. She marked the block that says "A diagnosed disease or disorder which substantially impairs or interferes with mobility, or requires the aid of an assistant device for mobility (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, etc.) due to: FIBROMYALGIA

I hope this helps some of you that may be trying to get theirs. Good luck and gentle hugs :)

Sheri

3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

the placard. Use what you need to get along in life a bit easier. Enjot, the ability to get in to the store with a bit less effort. Like, the mile hike you use to have, Take care, Kim and Gary
  4. Dlee

Dlee New Member

Sheri
    I'm from N.C. asked my Dr. if she would fill it out and she did.I told her I did'nt need it all the times but there were times it would help me out.I own my own business and I have too do somethings at times that can't wait untill the fare is gone.
    Donna
  5. pamela

pamela New Member

To me I celebrated. I work at U.T. on the Austin campus and there is no parking anywhere. With my right side injuries and my FMS w/ major fatigue, I really was happy to get help in this way. I could not walk 30 ft. w/out major pain. Look at the bright side....you'll always park up front. Lots of smiles!!!!!Pamela
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My pain doc signed for me and I just went to the DMV and got it. When I'm feeling better, I don't use it, but when I'm suffering extreme fatigue and there are no close in spaces I use it. I also use it when I'm in pain or when we are being threatened with our monsoon-type rain storms. Getting soaked will throw me into an instant flare for some reason.

Here is SW Florida in the wintertime, it's next to impossible to find H/C parking spots as all our Northern snowbirds take them.

Love, Mikie