I got my flu shot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by behooved, Oct 31, 2008.

1. behooved

behooved New Member

Just a FIY for everyone here who wonders every year whether to get the flu shot...

I have had CFIDS and Fibro for a year and a half. I didn't get my flu shot last year because I had only recently gotten sick, and didn't know how I'd react to it. I managed to avoid the flu by being housebound last winter.

This year I am doing a little bit better, and decided to get the shot. My doctor was really nice and gave me one of the pediatric shots. It was "Fluzone" brand and didn't contain any preservatives, thermisol, mercury, etc. I'm not sure if that would have made a difference or not, but I don't want to be injecting mercury into my already-weakened body anyway.

I'm happy to report that besides the usual sore arm for 3 days (which actually hurt a lot worse and longer than past flu shots, because I have fibro now)... I experienced no other adverse effects. It's been a week now since I got it, so it looks like I'm going to be ok with it.

I know it can be different for everyone when these illnesses are involved, but I thought I'd share my anecdote for anyone out there still deciding whether to get the shot or not.

Take care everybody!
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I get one every year as I don't want to get the flu. A few years ago, I hadn't gotten my shot....yet....and my cousin came to visit and brought the flu with her.

I'm glad that you have figured out what works for you as have I. I also have to watch out for my husband as he is allergic to the egg product in these vaccines, and with his asthma, he gets pneumonia very easily.

So....glad to be protected.

3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i have had CFS for over 15 years and see dr. lerner. he strongly recommended i get the flu shot and the pneumonia vaccine.

4. quanked

quanked Member

I was thinking about a flu shot myself. I did not know that there were different brands.

I think I shall get one. thanks for info.