I got my Igenex lab results

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by elliespad, Jan 7, 2009.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

My doctor sent me a note saying that my Lyme test was Negative. So, Good News.

However, I just went and picked up MY copy today. All bands are Negative, EXCEPT for **34kDa, and **41kDa. They both say IND.

The explanation says that even a single **band, noted as IND, could be clinically significant.

What is the concensus here? Do I need to see a LLMD?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Well this is where the controversy starts. Yes, because it is supposed to be a clinical diagnosis and those bands are significant anyway. IMHO a trial of abx from a good LLMD would be a good thing to try to see if you get a herx reaction or not.

I don't remember where you got tested.... but even if it was at IGenex, at best it's only 70% reliable, other labs are less reliable. This is why the CDC continues to say it is still a clinical diagnosis.

The other thing is you could still have one or more of the OTHER infections that are transmissable by ticks as well as other critters, which includes mycoplasma and many others...

but/and the blood tests for these are even less reliable.

Again, this is why you need a good doctor who is aware of the possibility of ALLthe infections that are hard to detect but often are found to cause the symptoms of CF/ME/FM etc....

hope that helps.

all the best,
    Victoria

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yeah, the controversy continues. I'm thinking I'll need a LLMD to make a decision. Hoping for more feedback here. Anyone here had only these two bands show IND, and then Dx. with Lyme?
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

My test was Negative but I had quite a few positive bands. There should be NO positives.

Most LLMDs believe an IND is a weak positive. It's certainly NOT negative or they would specified negative. A lab tech has no trouble calling a negative a negative. The only thing that makes any sense is there is a little bit of antibody there that the lab tech is picking up.

Band 41 is the tail of the bacteria. If you have a positive there you have Lyme, syphilis or dental disease. The longer you've had this illness the greater your chances are that you'll test negative. After having the bacteria for a long time there are many reasons why you won't test positive.
  5. loto

loto Member

does it take to get the lyme test results back, and what is herxing?
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I was told by Igenex that it would be 7-10 business days to get my results. They received my blood sample on Jan 7, so I should be getting my results this week.

Herxing short for "Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction" which is a worsening of symptoms, or even new symptoms as the result of bacteria or other infectious agents releasing toxins into the body as they die off.

For instance, the antibiotics start killing some of the lyme bacteria and the bacteria release toxins that create worsening of symptoms. It is usually considered a good thing, because it shows that the med is working. However, if the herx is too strong, sometimes Dr's back off on the dose of the med and start slower.