I got my powerchair today.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 11, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It's a blue Jazzy 1103. It's got a kind of joystick on the right side that you use to maneuver around, and I can pretend I'm playing Pac-Man at the same time. This thing is comfortable and turns on a dime.

This doesn't give me the same excitement that, let's say, a motorcycle used to, but I can't complain.

I am able to walk around the house some, but I can't walk into stores or in for apppointments at all. Fortunately, my insurance company is paying 80%. Otherwise, I wouldn't be getting this because these things cost a fortune.

I had been using an old Amigo scooter that a friend gave me, and I'll continue to use the scooter, too. My wife can pack up the scooter and take it with us in the car.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2007]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Can you go off-road with that 4 wheeler? I hope that thing has a seatbelt.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Turns out the thing actually does have a seatbelt, and it will go four miles an hour. It will also go over grass and dirt (but not deep sand).

I plan to take it four-wheeling soon.
  4. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Wow, those Jazzy's are NICE. My Father-in-law just got his right before Xmas. His really hauls a*& !!! and he is an old motorcycle rider too.

Good for you. Today has been a pretty good day!
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sounds like a great start to the year! You could have a name contest for your powerchair and see how goofy/silly we are (or aren't).....
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Wonderful news. Glad the insurance covered part of it. I love to hear good things happening to good people. Seems so much bad happens that celebrating with a person just doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

Good luck with the joystick...I never was any good with those things! I shudder to think of me driving one.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

It's really nice to get something that will Help make your life easier! I can tell your really excited about this! Maybe you could even take it to the golf course sometime and speed around the paved tracks!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anyway Don't forget you Bumper stickers!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I 'spect you'll be doing wheelies or whatever them things are you youngsters do.

You're right, Sisland. When Ken got his scooter we all thought of bumper stickers for it. Here are some suggestions for the power chair.

Follow the Rules (And then, if you're feeling rebellious, you put it upside down.)

I'm from Minnesota; I'm here to help.

Outlaw Bumper Stickers.

I brake for Hallucinations.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2007]
  9. TKE

TKE New Member

My Huz is a Harley rider & belongs to a local club. He's now 64. He & some of the older members joke that when they can no longer ride their Harleys they'll all get one of those power chairs & race them around, LOL.

Glad you finally got this & your insurance is paying for some of it.

10. JLH

JLH New Member

I could really use one of them, too, but Medicare has already paid for me a wheelchair, so it will be another 5 years before they will consider something similar (so I was told).

I hope you enjoy using it!
  11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Do you not need a licence for one of those powerchairs,LOL.
    Can imagine you racing against the ex-Harley boys,haha.
    Seriously tho,that's great news as it will no doubt help your mobility.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you'll be getting arrested if you're not careful out there with your wheels.

They're considering having people get insurance for their 'buggies' over here.

It will make such a difference for you.

13. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

They sure do help to get around,
    remember when you got your first Cycle or Car?
    The freedon that you felt to be able to go where and when you wanted to.

Didn't have to wait, for a ride, or parents permission, lol.

When I got my first car, at the age of 18, I was never home.
    Now tho, I have a Scooter, and I never leave my home, lol.

I do use it to get around, the Mobile Home Community I live in, we even have race's on Sat's, by the Clubhouse,

I need a Faster rig. lol.

Have Fun, with yours.

14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Great. Now I want you to write a book about a man driving all over on his blue power chair. (like the lawnmower man but more local. "Travels with Old Blue"

Love Annie cromwell
  15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'll be sure to look for you on the Nascar Circuit this

season! Have loads of fun.

16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for your nice wishes, everyone.

Donnaeil: The joystick is sensitive. I've run over a few things around the house already: plants, books, the dog.