I Got Really Sick Again on Saturday Night! Ugh!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Mar 5, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

This just hasn't been my weekend.

I had that strange spell, then have done nothing or eaten anything strange until I got sick again on Saturday evening.

I haven't been on the board very much this weekend because of all of this.

My daughter needed me to watch my two grandsons overnight on Saturday night. I really didn't want to because I was still weak, but my DH said he would be home and they wouldn't be any trouble (that's him talking!! LOL)

They are 8 and 10. They went to town with him to get fried chicken for supper. I ate 2 chicken legs and a couple tablespoons of cole slaw. They cleaned up the mess.

About an hour later, within 5 minutes I got really dizzy, my head started pounding, I got extremely hot and my face looked like it was on fire, I got to feeling really bad and yelled for my DH to bring my cane because I was unsteady on my feet.

I walked about 20 feet and felt I was going to be sick. Now, 5 minutes prior to this, I felt great!

I started vomiting then and stayed in the bathroom and vomited about 20 times or more in the next 3 hours. I could not even leave the bathroom! I was vomiting about every 5 minutes until there was nothing left, and then the dry heaves. Yuck!

Here is what is funny ........

I did not know this happened. My grandson got on one of the phones and called his mom's cell phone. He told her that I was "sick as a dog." He said I was "puking my guts up, had a washcloth on my head because my face was all burnt, and they better come and pick them up now."

He also asked her "how could you leave us with someone puking for hours, Mom? how could you do that to me, you know I hate to watch people get sick!"

So, her and her DH were here by 9:30 pm to pick them up, and I had finally get vomiting. The minute they left, I went to bed and didn't get up until 11:00 am today!

I really feel much better now (Sunday evening -- really early Monday since it's almost 2:00 am!!) I'm just really weak again, I feel like I've had the life sucked out of me for the second time in a few days.

My DH will be a work on Monday, no grandkids to watch, so I plan on doing NOTHING ALL DAY on Monday!!

I hope the new week finds everyone else well, too.

Hugs,
    Janet

2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Janet,
    If you only ate two chicken legs and cole slaw how could you be vomiting so very much? Do you think you could have a bad gallbladder? I really do think you need to go to the doctor and have this checked out.

I'm wondering if it isn't your heart doing this as that can cause vomiting.

I'm really worried about you. You need some lab work done at least.

Do you think it could be gastroparesis? Even with gastroparesis, I hardly ever vomit, but then I've been on Reglan or some type of med for that since 1990.

Do you have a doctor's appointment? I really feel like you should make one tomorrow for next week.

I figured out what my problem is, it is GERD. I had a really bad night Friday night, but okay last night and so far tonight, I'm doing well.

Keep us informed if you can.

Love,
    Faye
    Wish I had your email address...Mine is in that map place we went to. If you click on my name you can send a message to me. You didn't put yours in there though.
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

Hope that you are feeling better now. I have very similar episodes to what you are describing (minus the vomiting, I have terrible nausea though) & STILL don't really know what's wrong. My heart is supposedly fine, but I do have trouble with GERD & anxiety, so I think for me that it is a mixture of contributing factors, including overdoing it.
    Really hope that you are able to find out what is going on hun, ~*Gentle Hugs*~

Lisa
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

that chicken has MSG in it. Sounds like you had a violent reaction to the chicken. There is so much MSG in everything from fast foods, unfortunately. Take care of yourself today and rest up. Love, Terri
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi sweety! When you see the doc will you please let us know what he said?

I read your other post and I didn't know which thread to post on, so I'm just posting on this one.

I'm praying you will be okay and it was just over doing it that day.

I don't know why you got so sick from the KFC chicken. I don't eat their chicken as I don't really care for fried chicken very much.

I seem to be okay with MSG as it is in the salad dressing I use (fat free) and I don't seem to have a problem from that.

I'll be thinking of you, hon. :)

Love,
    Faye
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi Janet -

Please go see your doc. and get evaluated. Maybe you could brush off one of these episodes but two within 48 hours is alarming. Heart attacks can cause weakness, nausea, vomiting, pale, cool clammy skin, etc. - women are especially suceptible to "silent heart attacks" - ones that happen without the "classic" signs of chest pain.

Where you are already a cardiac patient for a number of serious cardiac issues - don't brush this off. It takes a minute to get a snapshot 12-lead EKG.

If its just the flu then its time wasted, but if its a heart attack - the sooner you get treatment, the less damage occurs.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

It's Monday evening and I'm feeling so much better now! No stomach issues, thank goodness!

I guess my doctor feels it's OK to wait until next week for my appointment.

The 3 hr. vomiting attack on Saturday evidently didn't have anything to do with the other attack, in most probability according to the doc ?????????

I had not taken my water pill on Saturday and after emptying my stomach contents (sorry to talk gross!!!) I was vomiting so much liquids up until I had nothing left. I know when I went to bed, my legs and feet weren't as swollen. Does this make sense? I had also drank a lot of water all afternoon long.

Anyway, I had a EKG done via telephone this morning through my pacemaker (I have a kit that I hook up leads to my wrists and put the phone on top of this special transmitting box). Everything was OK. They can tell from this EKG if I had had a silent heart attack or any significant heart trauma.

Faye, I've already had my gallbladder taken out, and I have taken meds on a daily basis for GERD for years.

I know I have had "unexplained" episodes with my heart and they really can't figure out what is happening. Like the last time that I had chest pains, all tests turned out ok and the doc said they must have been "cornary artery spasms". However, I am thankful that I haven't had the same thing that happened the other night with the heart and the shaking, etc. The doc did say if THIS happened again to call 911 for an ambulance to the hospital.

Thank you Brelyn, Faye, Lisa, Terri, mme_curie, and ME (fibrotart) for your kind words and concern. I really, really appreciate it.

Much love,
    Janet
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Phew! Glad to hear it wasn't the heart!

Hope it was just a bug.

My daughter had the vomit bug so bad a couple of weeks ago that we ended up going into Children's Hospital to get her hydrated by IV - while we were waiting to be seen she was able to eat a couple of popsicles and keep them down - of course once we GOT there she got better, which I was greatful for but at the same time bemused because that always seems to be the way of things with kids symptoms - they disappear when the white coats arrive!

Glad you are better!
    Madame Curie
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

janet:
    I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. Rest and get those electrolytes back in you. Fortify your body even if you have to drink Pedialyte.
    I hope you are on the mend and wish I could have helped you in some way. I am glad you are posting. I can keep my eye on you.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  10. mamabear2157

mamabear2157 New Member

Hi Janet!

I was glad to read your second post to find that you did your EKG. I am sorry that you had such an awful weekend.

Hopefully when you go to the doctor on Thursday everything will check out ok.

I hope you are feeling better and you got some well needed rest.

Please let us know how your doctor visit went.

Thinking of you always and wishing you well.

Gentle hugs,

Mary Ellen

11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, it sounds like you had nausea and "retching" that can be caused by many things.. I picked up the following info on the web:

What Is It?

Nausea is a general term describing a queasy stomach, with or without the feeling that you are about to vomit. Almost everyone experiences nausea at some time, making it one of the most common problems in medicine. Nausea is not a disease, but a symptom of many different disorders. It is caused by problems in any one of three parts of the body, including:

Abdominal and pelvic organs — Many abdominal conditions can cause nausea. Common abdominal causes of nausea include inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) or pancreas (pancreatitis); a blocked or stretched intestine or stomach; gastroesophageal reflux (GERD); irritation of the stomach, intestinal lining, appendix or pelvic organs; inflammation of the kidney; and gallbladder problems. The most common abdominal illnesses that result in nausea are viral infections (gastroenteritis). Nausea also can be caused by constipation and normal menstruation.

Brain and spinal fluid
    Nausea is common with migraine headaches, head injury, brain tumors, stroke, bleeding into or around the brain, and meningitis (inflammation or infection of the membranes covering the brain). It can be a symptom of glaucoma, resulting from pressure on the nerves at the back of the eye. It sometimes is a brain reaction triggered by pain, significant emotional distress, or exposure to unpleasant sights or odors.

Balance centers in the inner ear — Nausea can be related to vertigo, a dizzy sensation of spinning, moving or falling when you are not moving. Common conditions that cause vertigo include motion sickness (triggered by repeated movements in different directions inside a car, boat, train, plane or amusement ride), viral infections of the inner ear (labyrinthitis), sensitivity to position change (benign positional vertigo), and certain brain or nerve tumors.
    Nausea also is a common side effect of some body chemical changes:

Reproductive hormones — About 50% of women experience morning sickness during the first few months of pregnancy, and nausea is a common side effect of birth control pills.

Medications — Many medicines (including prescription, over-the-counter and herbal medicines) commonly cause nausea as a side effect, especially when more than one medication is taken at the same time. Chemotherapy drugs and antidepressants are among the medicines that frequently cause nausea.

Low blood sugar — Nausea is common with low blood sugar.

Alcohol use — Both alcohol intoxication and alcohol withdrawal, including a hangover, can cause nausea.

Anesthesia — Some people experience nausea while awakening from surgery and recovering from anesthesia.

Food allergies and food poisoning — In food poisoning, small amounts of bacteria in contaminated food produce irritating toxins that cause nausea and abdominal cramps.
    Symptoms

Nausea is difficult for many people to describe. It is a very uncomfortable, but not painful, feeling that is felt in the back of the throat, the chest or the upper abdomen. The feeling is associated with distaste for food or an urge to vomit. When the body prepares to vomit, the following sequence may occur:

The muscular ring between the esophagus and stomach (esophageal sphincter) relaxes.
    The abdominal muscles and diaphragm contract.
    The windpipe (larynx) closes.
    The lower portion of the stomach contracts.
    When a person vomits, the stomach contents are expelled through the esophagus and mouth.

As a result of these body actions, when you have nausea you experience retching. Retching is repeated rhythmic contractions of respiratory and abdominal muscles that occur without your control. You may or may not vomit. Profuse sweating sometimes accompanies nausea.

Diagnosis

Because nausea occurs for such a wide variety of reasons, your doctor will seek clues to the cause of nausea in your medical history, including your medication use. It is especially helpful for you to report other symptoms that you might be having or activities (such as eating) that trigger your nausea. If you are a sexually active woman of childbearing age, tell your doctor whether there is a possibility that you could be pregnant, the date of your last menstrual period and any type of birth control you use.

Your doctor will examine you. The exam may include blood pressure testing, an abdominal examination, neurological examination or other tests, depending on your recent symptoms and other medical history. Blood tests may be done. For any woman who could be pregnant, a pregnancy test should be done. If you have had a recent head injury, you may require a brain imaging test, such as a computed tomography scan.

Expected Duration

The cause of nausea will determine how long it lasts or how often it occurs. When the cause can be traced to spoiled food, motion sickness or a viral illness, nausea is usually short lived and should not be a cause for concern. In most cases, the queasy feeling lasts no more than minutes to a few hours and usually goes away on its own within 24 hours.

Prevention

Some causes of nausea are not easily prevented. While the cause of your nausea is being determined, you can minimize episodes of nausea by following some basic guidelines:

Eat small meals every few hours so your stomach won't feel full.

Try to avoid bothersome odors such as perfume, smoke or certain cooking smells.

If you have had nausea for weeks to months, consider keeping a food diary to help identify foods that cause nausea.

Avoid eating any food that smells or appears spoiled or has not been refrigerated properly.

If you are prone to motion sickness, avoid reading in a moving vehicle. Also, try to sit in the part of the vehicle with the least movement (near the wings of an airplane or in the center of a boat). Ask your doctor about taking anti-nausea drugs before traveling.

Avoid alcohol.
    If you take medications for nausea, including over-the-counter types, avoid drinking alcohol, which may make you more ill. Always read the label before taking anti-nausea medication, because some motion sickness medications can cause significant drowsiness.

Treatment

Nausea does not always require treatment, but sometimes treatment is helpful. There are several things you can do on your own to help, including:

Drink beverages that settle the stomach, such as ginger ale or chamomile tea.

Avoid caffeinated colas, coffees and teas.

Drink clear liquids to avoid dehydration (if vomiting is associated with nausea).

Eat small, frequent meals to allow the stomach to digest foods gradually.

Eat foods that are bland and simple for your stomach to digest, such as crackers, unbuttered bread, rice, chicken soup and bananas.

Avoid spicy foods and fried foods.
    Some over-the-counter medications can help to relieve nausea, including:

Chewable or liquid antacids; bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol); or a solution of glucose, fructose and phosphoric acid (Emetrol). These medicines help by coating the stomach lining and neutralizing stomach acid.

Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) or meclizine hydrochloride (Bonine, Dramamine II). These medications are helpful for treating or preventing motion sickness and are thought to block receptors in the brain that trigger vomiting.
    If you continue to feel nauseated, several prescription medications are available to help relieve nausea. Most anti-nausea medicines have drowsiness as a side effect. Women who are pregnant, or who think they might be pregnant, should be evaluated by a physician before taking any drug, including over-the-counter medicines.

When To Call A Professional

You should call your doctor if nausea lasts for more than three days. You should contact your doctor sooner if your nausea is associated with:

Recent head injury
    Severe headache
    Severe abdominal pain
    Vomiting blood
    Extreme weakness
    High fever (over 101° Fahrenheit)
    Blurred vision or eye pain
    Confusion or stiff neck
    Prognosis

The outlook depends on the cause of the nausea. Most people recover completely within a few hours or a day.

[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks wamps and PVLady for all the helpful info -- I'm going to copy it and email it to my family doctor (my real "family" doc -- my daughter) and go over it with her on the phone--so we both can be looking at the same text.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this for me. I sincerely appreciate it.

Mable - I am feeling much better, thank you. I just hate going to hospitals--but you know how that is!! I'm sure you hate them more than I do!!! LOL

Much love,
    Janet

:)
  13. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Both from a virulent stomach flu as well as from food poisoning, which I got from chicken and which really did leave me feeling "poisoned" and my insides messed up for months.

On the surface, your symptoms as you wrote them, IMO, could be right in line with a bad stomach flu bug, which can hit hard out of nowhere and leave you weak for a few days. But being that you've had other health issues as well, it was very, very good you got it checked out.

Hopefully this doesn't repeat itself. It sounds like a horrible weekend! Take care, and hope you're back on your feet 100% soon.

C.