I had a hypersensitive reaction to caffeine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanna4550, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. nanna4550

    nanna4550 New Member

    I think I must have an allergy to caffeine, which caused my severe anxiety last monday (which I blamed on the Cymbalta and it could well have been a combination of problems). I had a cup of tea, which was very weak (I dipped the bag about 4 times in hot water- it never soaked)
    I have thought this was better than decaffeinated (because of the chemicals used to decaffeinate) but have sinced switched to strictly herbal tea.
    I have requested permission to post this article- so it
    will follow later. Here is a description of Caffeine
    Anaphylaxis--

    "During a state of caffeine anaphylaxis (hypersensitive reaction), the body enters the fight or flight mode, which may be mistaken as hyperactivity, anxiety, or panic disorder. Caffeine anaphylaxis causes cerebral vasculitis, leads to the breakdown of the blood brain barrier, and generates toxic dementia."

    I don't think it has progressed to toxic dementia, but this would be the last thing anyone would want to happen.
    The weard sensation in my head (which felt like i was underwater) would be explained by celebral vasculitis, I am guessing.

    The article was very interesting, if I get permission, I will post it later.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you all,
    Janice




  2. DLsGroovyMoM

    DLsGroovyMoM New Member

    I have never heard of a hypersensive reaction to caffine...thank goodness I don't have it as until recently I lived on caffine. I am finally down to 1 soda a day. What do they do to decaffinate? Never thought it was a "chemical process" hum...will have to check on that.

    HOpe you are feeling better and have a great thanksgiving!
    Amy
  3. Mamalovinit

    Mamalovinit New Member

    I can't handle much of the stuff myself. I always fought with UTI even as a child. Found out it was the caffeine that did it to me. Later when I was nursing my first child I was drinking up the choc. milk. I thought how strange I didn't feel a UTI comeing on. So I really drank it up. My dd ended up with the UTI. Some may say that she couldn't have got it from my drinking it. But you will not make me beleive it. She was only 7 months old and was very sick.She needed meds and everything. She is now 13 and can not do caffeine either.
    M