I had FM all along?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by groundhogson, Jan 24, 2003.

1. groundhogson

groundhogson New Member

I went to my regular GP last week and when I got the superbill, one of the diagnoses checked was FM. That was news to me. I had recently had my second caudle block in a series of 3 from the pain clinic. The steriods caused an increase in blood pressure and was following up with my GP for that. I called the doctor this morning and asked her about the FM diagnosis. She said that I had carried that diagnosis since I had been seeing her. My GP before this one had retired and I had been seeing her for about 18 months now. She said that my other doctor has "suspected" that I had FM and she got it from that. Well, glad you told me. It would have been nice to know that there is a name for all my aches and pains. I just wonder if I need a new doctor? I had been lurking here since I learn this and found so many of yall's posts so familiar. Good to know that I'm not alone in this.
  2. evileva

evileva New Member

Some people see Rheumotologists, I think that I spelled that wrong. lol My PCP said that he could do what the other does so I am just seeing him at the moment. You are definitely not alone.
    Eva
  3. layinglow

layinglow New Member

While I certainly would be perturbed at my doctor not giving me their diagnosis, I would also weigh this against the care you are receiving. Have you done research on FMS and the multitude of treatment options? Are you currently being afforded any of these in regards to your fms related health problems, and are they benefitting you?
    These are some questions I think need asking. I would then make it known very clearly to this doctor that you want to take an active part in your illness, and that open communication is of the utmost importance.
    Best wishes,
    LL
  4. groundhogson

groundhogson New Member

My GP has handled my illnesses pretty well I guess. She will listen when I talk about what is going on. She just assumed that I already knew that I had FM. I was placed on Pamelor back 7 years ago, which helped with IBS and that part is way better. I still have IBS symptoms about 4 times a month where it used to be every 2 or 3 days with not much reprieve in between. And then after my husband died, I started on Ambien because I couln't sleep and it helps. If I happen to miss the med - I don't sleep all night. Also started on Zoloft after I crashed and burned at about 9 months after he died. I do feel better in some ways, but it is - as it is with everyone - a hard road ahead.
  5. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

HI!
    Isn't it frustrating to see these docs that really don't listen and treat you like a file number rather than an honest to God living person. I have seen a number of docs that have told me that my aches and pains were my own doing since I had gained weight and wasn't exercising. Two months ago I gave up on all of them and found a doc that specializes in fibro and pain management. FINALLY---someone listened to me and did an exam to find out what was going on!!!!!
    The one thing that I have realized with this disease is that you can't be timid about asking questions and getting answers. You have to be pushy sometimes to get results. I guess my "A" type personality might finally be a plus in this department.
    Just know that you are not alone---lots of us creaking, groaning,moaning fibros around.
    Take care and laugh when ya can.