I had my dis. hearing today; I'm surprised at what happened...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DeborahLynn, Jun 25, 2008.

1. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Today was the big day for me! Very first thing, though, is THANK YOU to all who prayed for me! I could feel the peace of Jesus calming down as I sat in the waiting room today with my husband Jon, waiting to be called in for the hearing.

I waited for about 40 min. The Lord gave me so much peace that I almost dozed off! I was called back to the hearing room. The judge, Eduardo Soto, sat up on a platform in his judicial robe. He looked to be about in his 60's, and he had a kind face. Down in front of him was a table, and at the table to my left was the occupational witness (I guess that's what they call that position) to testify on what my past occupations were and what level of skill they were. Next to him and at my immediate left was my lawyer, Michael Buchanan. To the right just below the judge was the court reporter. An intern, I guess you'd call him, was sitting in on the back right corner of the room.

The judge swore me and the occupational witness in, said a few words, then the judge commented on how well the case was put together. I didn't understand all that was said, you know, all that legal type talk. Then my lawyer said thank you to the judge for the complement, and he gave some credit to the junior lawyer, I guess you'd call him, or the lawyer-in-training that helped with the case. Then they said it was time to go.

We stepped out into the lobby, and I asked my lawyer if that was it, and he said it was. I asked him would it be two or three weeks until I heard what the ruling was, and the lawyer said that the judge already gave me a favorable ruling. I couldn't believe my ears; I said, "What? I thought I had to wait two or three weeks before I got the decision." He said, "No, he gave you a favorable ruling. You'll receive the notice in the mail within a couple of weeks, and your settlement should come in about six weeks or so after that." I shook their hands and said a big thank you!

So that was it! After all that worrying and preparation and prayer, it took only about five minutes for the hearing! I know the Lord answered all our prayers, and I want to say a BIG THANK YOU for praying with me and for me! Isn't it exciting to watch the Lord work?

I had been praying for a nice judge; a godly judge. I don't know much about this judge still, but I do know he has a very kind face, and he seemed like he has an honest character. The Lord worked out every detail of my case. Thank you, Lord!

The Lord is so good! Thank the Lord for all His leading! Thank you all for taking an interest in me and my family by praying for us! This is going to really help our family!

2. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

dear Debbie,

This is what having faith is all about! Congrats!

3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I hope mine goes just as well. I just filed but I am 61 been ill 20 years and just talking to SS office this week and today they think I may get mine right off.

Keep a prayer for me too.
  4. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

The Lord was with me all the way!

I definitely will keep you in my prayers, too!

I pray you all have a good night,

5. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

I know that you must be relieved to have good news!

6. poets

poets Member

And I'm so happy for you! It's great to hear some good news for a change!

7. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

Thats terrific. There seems to be a change in approach towards FM lately - at least my attorney things so. I had to wait two months for my approval so thats great that you heard right there and then.
  8. jole

jole Member

I just read your profile, and see that you are still fairly young, so I honestly feel that prayers were answered!

My decision was granted on the first try without an attorney, but I do feel it was due partly to my age, along with my disabilities.

There were so many things in your profile I can relate to...the joy of the little miracles in life that I was too busy to see "in my other life". But it took me a long time to let go of the anger and frustration to get to that point! Now things are going much better, even if my health is not.

Blessings to you and your family! ***Jole***
  9. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Debbie, that is wonderful! God is good! :)
  10. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i just won mine and was told at my hearing that he (the judge) found me disabled. that was the 19th and i recieved the letter in the mail today.

i do believe it was all because GOD was looking out for me.he always has and always will!i am so thankful....

we all have to have faith and live for the lord....

11. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

Just noticed that you are in TN also. I live near the AL border in middle tn.

My doctors are in Nashville. Are you close to there? Was wondering what doctors/clinics you go to? It's been hard to find good ones since I moved from KY.
  12. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Congrats Debbie, it's finally over!!!

Who was your lawyer?
  13. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I am so happy that it happened so easily for you! I guess what puzzles me is that some here have such a hard time, and for others it's a snap!

I'm glad you were one of the "snappy" ones!

14. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Oops, I just wrote a long reply, and I just lost it somehow. I'll try to re-create it again...

Thank you, Poets, for replying, and for your prayers! The Lord answered in a big way!

Jole, thanks for reading my profile! I try to pray that the Lord will help me see things through His eyes; it's much more encouraging that way.

momof4kids68, thanks also for replying! My doctors are here in Chattanooga. My GP is Dr. C. Michael Orquia at Lakeside Medical Center on Highway 58. He's a really good doctor, willing to listen and receive information I give him about Myalgic Encephalitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia Syndrome, and he is good at finding different treatments to try. My rheumatalogist is Dr. Craig at Arthritis Associates in Chattanooga (near Eastgate).

If you can't find a doctor who knows about ME/CFS and FMS, maybe you can find one who is at least willing to learn about it and to believe you and treat you right. That's now Drs. Orquia and Craig are.

God bless everyone, and thanks for sharing my joy and triumph!

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

My eyes really perked up when I read that your lawyer's name is Michael Buchanan, because I live in Knoxville and I see so many of his commercials! Now I can tell people that he knows how to put a good case together too.

I am so happy for you and it warms my heart to see you giving thanks to the Lord too. I feel, like you, that He is what gets us through all this. Again, congratulations to you!
  17. singingirl

singingirl New Member

And there are so many people(not on here) that don't believe he still answers prayers!!!!!
  18. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Debbie, so great to read your news and giving God the glory well, I believe He will continue to just Bless your socks off. You just know its the Lord when you get peace when your in a situation like waiting on a very important hearing, a life changing hearing. I try to pray for all of us on this site as often I as I can and do appreciate all that send up one for me. God Bless you and your family and so happy it went so well.
  19. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I read each one of your inspired profiles; I love sharing the joy we have found with others, and I know you do too. I just want everyone to know the wonderful peace, joy, contentment, etc. that the Lord gives to all so freely!

I am incredibly blessed that the Lord has answered our prayers with awarding me the disability. But you know, even if I got a negative ruling, it would have been disappointing, but the Lord has brought me through so much in the past that I would have said, "O.K. Lord, that wasn't in Your plan for me, but I know you have a thousand ways to provide for me and my family, of which I know not one. I am just going to sit back and watch as You miraculously provide for our every need."

He has so completely provided for all my family's needs, and He has given us many, many of our wants, too! He made it possible for my daughter to go to summer camp, both last year and this year, when we didn't have one extra cent to be able to send her! There are many, many more blessings such as this - the Lord supplying my meds, providing transportation, making it possible to send our children to Christian schools; the list goes on and on.

The Lord has filled our cup, until it is spilling over and flooding the place!:) I want for everyone on these boards and everyone else to experience this deep peace and love... I pray often for these boards!

God bless, and thanks again for celebrating with me!

20. petcat

petcat New Member

Congratulations, I am so happy for you. We still haven't been able to get together to exchange emails so if you get a chance, let me know when you can make it to the chat room. I would love to have support close to home.