i hate the new fibro commercial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlenef, Jul 15, 2008.

1. charlenef

charlenef New Member

this women is out i think for lunch with her hubby she sounds totally phony when are we going to get someone real? i guess i should be thankful at least fibro is being put out there
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Which network is the new fibro commercial on?

Take care, Susan
  3. All the commercials on lyrica act like it is a wonder drug, I take it and it is NOT a wonder drug. So far it helps me sleep and thats it. and alot of side effects.
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

it was on cbs this morning
  5. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

The only good thing about the commercials is that it lets people know that FM is a real problem. I think they should say more about the symptoms and REAL problems we are having. I agree that at least I am thankful that they are making people aware of our problem!
  6. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

She talks about fm like its pms just take midol and you will be fine. Just take lyrica and you will be fine. Lyrica didn't do that much for me made sleep all the time but didn't help with the pain. I agree they need to show someone miserable and hurting, exhausted. Some friends have said to me take lyrica the lady on tv says it works for fm! Yes fibro is being put out there but i wish they would show the real world!
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i want to see someone at home that has a hard time moving or doing the dishes not these women that are out and about i think they should talk to people who have fms to make a commercial hugs charlene
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

To me, this one shows the person in the least amount of 'distress' than any of them.

I agree, they need to show a real 'Day in the life of..."
  9. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

They need video of me getting out of bed and trying to make it to the computer room.
  10. dixiet

dixiet New Member

They are trying to sell Lyrica-not make people really aware of Fibro.
  11. smeyers

smeyers New Member

The first one was awful - the woman looked and sounded like Nancy Pelosi! LOL! The second was better - at least she seemed life-like. I haven't seen one with a husband yet so I'll wait and reserve judgement. But I do agree that they don't show anyone actually suffering from fibro. They could show someone wincing or backing away from being touched. Or, like some of you suggested, people in their jammies unable to summon the energy to get dressed. Or halfway through their workday having to go sit down somewhere to rest or take a pain killer. It's not that hard to show what life with fibro is like. They're just not trying that hard.
  12. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

I haven't seen any of the commercials but if they are for a drug as somebody wrote, it makes sense that they would show someone not completely debilitated.

Drug companies are trying to increase sales. Everyone has a little bit of pain from time to time. If a commercial can convince someone he or she suffers from fibromyalgia because of occasional aches and pains and because Fibro has no definitive tests for a diagnosis, the commercial can convince many more people that they have the syndrome. If more people are convinced they have the syndrome, there is a larger market for the drug and greater profits.

This is what happened with SSRIs in the 90s. People with normal personality variations were pathologized and then put on the new SSRIs. The drug companies behind Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft made billions of dollars. Many of the people put on SSRIs would have been equally helped (with less side effects!) had they sought out cognitive behavioral therapy. There is no denying that SSRIs have helped many with serious clinical depression, but MDs were prescribing for things such as normal variations in moods.

I recommend the book "Side Effects" by Allsion Bass. Get it from your local library. I just finished reading it and it was extememly illuminating.
  13. charlenef

charlenef New Member

this last one makes the other ones look good lol that is not saying much
  14. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

rocky,

That was pretty funny. I need a good laugh today.

kitteejo
  15. caffey

caffey New Member

I don't know which one is funnier that one or the one for HUMIRA for ra.

Hadn't had a good laugh in a while.
    Cath
  16. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

I have seen two. One lady is painting and the other is doing yard work. I think these are two different commercials. You guys/girls are funny. I love this MB
    Yeap my family members sent me a brochure on Lyrica as soon as it came out. Like, take this and stop complaining, now there is a cure.
    I agree they are still minimizing the symptoms and that makes the understanding of what we go through daily even worse.
    I was happy that at least its in the media now.
    By the way Lyrica did nothing for me.
    Peace
  17. zena01

zena01 New Member

the one where the lady doesn't feel well, then takes lyrica and then goes to her greenhouse and happily clips or sprays flowers? It should show her walking into a greenhouse with all the plants dead cause she couldn't water them and take care of them and saying gosh, I finally made it out here, now with Lyrica my plants can feel better too!
    LOL
  18. kriket

kriket New Member

they are pushing lyrica!!!! TO MAKE MONEY !!!!

19. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If they showed a true picture everyone might be laughing.

I can imagine showing me in my raggedy gown, laying in bed on a heating pad, half asleep from the muscle relaxants, flipping the tv control to find something to watch. As the camera enters my bedroom I wake up and say, "oh Hi there, who are you?"...

Or, me all bent over, limping across the floor when I first get out of bed.

We should all write what they should really be showing on these commercials. At least we might get a good laugh.

We could make our own commercial and really portray the true picture. Not some well dressed, thin lady, who seems very articulate, talking about her pain.

We will show someone in their nightgown, who can't seem to rememember from one minute to the next what she is talking about - fibrofog... hair not combed, no make-up, maybe in the Lazyboy recliner with a heating pad and some tubes of Ben Gay on the coffee table.

20. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I saw that one on CBS yesterday too and it's a joke! But, two times now on USA I have caught only part of a commercial of a lady saying 'if they could only see how bad I really hurt' then they show bruising all over her! I wish I could catch the whole commercial but I do know that both times it has been on USA and I assume it's for lyrica. Anyone else see this one?