I Hate To Complain Again...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Newswoman, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

but I'm a tad bit ticked off.

I had my 90-day review today. My copy editor proceeded to tell me that I didn't spend enough time proofreading my copy, and that I was making her job harder. A couple of times, I didn't see some of her corrections. She took that to mean that I was slacking. People make mistakes. This happened maybe three times in the past three months. It isn't like this happens all the time. I couldn't get as much of a raise because she felt that I don't spend enough time proofreading (I got what I wanted to get, so it didn't matter anyway).

I have problems with her review on so many levels that I don't know where to begin. If she doesn't want to edit copy, then she shouldn't be a copy editor. I probably should tell her about the brain fog that fibro causes, but for some reason, I don't want to do that.

I know it sounds crazy and stubborn...especially since I could get more money. However, I feel that my illness is a private thing. I tell people who I feel have a RIGHT to know about it. I don't use fibro as an excuse to get over on people, nor do I feel that I should put my business out in the street.

And let's be honest, if this same person was adamant that I come into work when I told her that I had less than two hours sleep (even though I had permission from the company CFO to work from home), can I really expect her to be sympathetic about the brain fog?

I just needed to vent, because I really feel that she is just a person who has no fellow feeling.
  2. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

but I'm a tad bit ticked off.

I had my 90-day review today. My copy editor proceeded to tell me that I didn't spend enough time proofreading my copy, and that I was making her job harder. A couple of times, I didn't see some of her corrections. She took that to mean that I was slacking. People make mistakes. This happened maybe three times in the past three months. It isn't like this happens all the time. I couldn't get as much of a raise because she felt that I don't spend enough time proofreading (I got what I wanted to get, so it didn't matter anyway).

I have problems with her review on so many levels that I don't know where to begin. If she doesn't want to edit copy, then she shouldn't be a copy editor. I probably should tell her about the brain fog that fibro causes, but for some reason, I don't want to do that.

I know it sounds crazy and stubborn...especially since I could get more money. However, I feel that my illness is a private thing. I tell people who I feel have a RIGHT to know about it. I don't use fibro as an excuse to get over on people, nor do I feel that I should put my business out in the street.

And let's be honest, if this same person was adamant that I come into work when I told her that I had less than two hours sleep (even though I had permission from the company CFO to work from home), can I really expect her to be sympathetic about the brain fog?

I just needed to vent, because I really feel that she is just a person who has no fellow feeling.
  3. JP

JP New Member

Writing reviews was my least favorite task as a manager. If any of my employees were unpleasantly surprised by any aspect of their review, I had failed at my role. It sounds like you were surprised by the review. One of the things that I worked on was working with my staff with developmental planning. I did not push others to excel, I invited them to participate and create their own future development within the job classification. No small task and quite rewarding.

I am with you regarding your privacy issues. This stuff can really have your employer lose confidence in your ability.

Take care,
    Jan
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

Your instincts are probably good about not giving her any excuses about why you missed some errors. She is most likely one who thinks Fibro is an excuse to be lazy and make others do half your job. Using the word Fibro to her would probably just make it impossible for her to not look at you with a super critical eye. Have you tried humor? Perhaps something like--- "Well, if I did everything absolutely perfect then there would be no need for you for your job and we certainly wouldn't want that" You cant say these things with a snide tone but if you can naturally carry off that type of thing it might work to warm her up. Then you could continually interject humor into the working relationship. When she pointed something out you could say "What?, Am I making your job more secure? Shame on me.
    Just a thought. Humor is much more tolerated than what are preceived as "whiney excuses". Like it or not a lot of the world see us as whiney, not sick. I say dont give them fuel for that fire. Spray them with humor and bask in the triumph of conquering the beasty woman.
  5. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

JP,

To be honest with you, I wasn't surprised by her review. I was annoyed that she wouldn't take my circumstances into consideration. I'm not looking for a handout or anything, it just seemed her review bordered on being mean-spirited. She knows that there have been days that I came into work when I could've stay home. What person, whether they have a cold, the flu, or fibromyalgia is going to perform perfectly? I don't mind people being frank, but tact goes a long way.

The other thing that made me mad was that this review was done in front of the CFO. It made me look stupid, and like a person who doesn't care about her work. If I wanted to be nasty, I could've busted her over the telecommunting situation (see my previous post "Just Need To Vent).

I've worked in radio and television for nearly a decade before this job. The copy editor worked in newspaper. The writing styles for those media are very different. She gave the impression that I couldn't write. It's not that I'm not a good writer, it's that I haven't written for print media since I was in high school.

I'm still not sleeping as well as I should, so this isn't the time to confront her. But, I guarantee you that I will eventually. I just have to do it when I of the right frame of mind. I also think there are some other issues at play here, and those are the real reasons why her review was so hard.
  6. JP

JP New Member

It does sound like the air needs clearing (when you are rested). Hopefully the CFO was able to see her garbage in the space.

Hang in there...Jan
  7. maleficent4310

maleficent4310 New Member

I myself hate review time. I feel like someone who doesnt know me from Adam is telling me who I am. The thing I hate the most though is if they have a problem with something in my preformance, I would like to taken aside and talked to first. I like to know if mgt. has a problem with me and they should give you a chance to work on it before they critize you in front of your CFO or any one for that matter. I do feel if this editor had a problem with something for as long as it seems that she has, then she should have had a friendly talk with you along time ago just to exprss concerns that she might have, then you would have been more comfortable, and maybe even have cleared the air right there and then. Even if you did not have the fibro, no one is perfect. If we don't know there is a problem or how someone wants it done, then we can't fix it. I am a big fan of communication. Without it, someone always gets hurt. I am sorry to hear that it was you this time around. When you cool down, then I would sit down with this person and let them know that it could have been done with more tact and no hard feelings. Anyway. I hope I did not offend anyone with my opinion, and I hope I made some sience. Good luck, and don't take it to hard. Like I said approch is everything, and your editor made a bad choice in the approch.
    Lisa
  8. kellym

kellym New Member

What good advice the others have provided! I agree with all of it. A good supervisor would have communicated with you prior to the review about any performance issues to give you time to work on them. That way the review would have consisted of "employee was informed of ... and showed remarkable improvement and a desire to have an excellent performance, blah, blah, blah" or something like that. A review should NOT be the first time you hear about an issue. And, I think your instincts are probably pretty good at this point. And I would definately try the humor one of the others suggested. I myself find this to be a much more effective tatic. Sounds like this individual is going to be difficult to work with, so I wish you lots of luck in your situation!
    KellyM
  9. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I've decided to write a rebuttal to my 90-day review. I have written proof that a lot of the things the copy editor said were her assumptions, not facts.

The purpose of a review is to let the employee know what areas they need to improve. It is not an opportunity for a supervisor to bad mouth an employee because the supervisor didn't do their job properly. When I really started to think about it, I realized that this is the copy editor's first time as a manager. She doesn't know how to handle people as a supervisor.

I'm sure that writing a rebuttal will not be the easiest course to take, but I have to protect myself. No one ever said life was easy anyway, right? This isn't going to be the last job I take. I cannot have a mediocre review in my personnel file.

In all the years I've worked, I have never had a bad review. Never. I also don't feel that I should take the rap for a first-time supervisor who's on a power trip. I'm sorry if my rebuttal will make her look like a poor manager who doesn't communicate well with her subordinates, but that's not my problem.