I hate Walgreens

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hawkeye, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

What do you do when the stupid pharmacy and Dr's don't communicate correctly and they DON"T refill your pain meds.

I am so pissed off right now...sorry I need to vent. I have gone to the same pharmacy for years and I have taken the same pain meds for the past 10 years. It is one medicine and I take it 3 times a day. This gives me a halfway normal life whereas I can at least work and function well I ran out over the weekend and called the refill in on Sunday, I just went down to pick up the refill after going without my 2 doses today and they didn't call the Doc today! Woops they said, no problem they said it should be ready tomorrow.

I wanted to choke the %#?! out of the pretty young healthy girl that acted like it was no big deal. I asked her very nicely and calmly to ask the pharmacist if I could have 6 tablets to last until the Doc called back and she asked and the pharmacist said they have to wait until the Doc ok's it.
    They have done this many times in the past for me when this has happened.

I guess they don't realize how important pain medication is, it is just as important as diabetic meds, hbp meds and others but we are all just lumped together as "drug seekers". That is how they made me feel like it was a big joke.

Thanks for listening...I am just so frustrated.

Hugs,
    Karen
  2. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Ya...It's kind of like after not being able to find any relief for 2 years, your Dr. prescribes "Soma" then your Rhumey takes you off it because it's addictive, then puts you on something less effective, but since it's "not addictive" keeps bumping up the dosage to try to get it to work.

THEN, they find something that works, but the Ins. company won't refill it unless they change the dosage from 2x per day to 1 larger dose a day (and the 1 larger dose doesn't work for you)!

Ok...definitely ranting...was any of that understandable?

Explative(s)...or as Scooby would say "rack-a-frack"

Joann
  3. PBandJ

PBandJ New Member

I'm sorry hawkeye :0( When I got home today my daughter said the drs office called and said my rx was ready. Well we go to the drug store and they don't have an rx for me.... grrr.... well I will have to wait untill tomorrow and call the dr to find out which drug store they called it into... after a 15 mile trip one way for nothing... I just think drs, and drug stores are just not into the human feelig aspect of things. We are human and not just a number..

You know I can take my dog or horse to the vet, they get compassionate care and the drugs there, not go to the drug store. Wish my vet treated humans!!!

Hope you cope until tomorrow.
    Hugs
    PB
  4. pat460

pat460 New Member

Years ago I went to a pharmacy where the pharmacist owned the place and I never had these problems. Now I go to a big chain pharmacy and have problems all the time just like you all have mentioned. Since I saw this post, I'm asking myself why I put up with it. Think I'll do some shopping around tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me how it should be when you're paying them!

pat460
  5. ETN

ETN New Member

call the dr today because it was a holiday. Most dr's were closed today...at least I know my dr's offices were closed.
    Did anyone mention that to you

I am a pharmacy tech...well was but still am just don't work but I still have a ton of problems with my pharmacy. It's so frustrating and I know how it is run back there..
    I really never thought I would be on the other side of the counter as a patient...
    I was and am a very caring person and LOVED my job and was very good at it.
    It just blows me away now how I am treated at the pharmacy I go to.
    They do treat you like you are a druggie or whatever. They have NO clue what I have gone thru or what is wrong with me. So they should just keep it that way.
    but I do know where I use to work they got young kids working in there and they were just clueless..and didn't get it at all.
    sorry you had to go thru that..but been there..It sucks
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am so sorry you are all having these ridiculous problems with the pharmacies and doctors. It is so inconsiderate to say the least.

These days people seem to lack compassion for others. They just don't put themselves in your place.

I remember the first time I was given a prescription for MS Contin. I was treated so bad at the pharmacy. They loudly discussed the prescription in front of other customers - then dedided to call the doctor just to make sure it was correct.

Really disgusting. I am no longer taking MS Contin but I really feel for anyone who has to take it and put up with cruel people.

7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Could you have put the Rx in a few days earlier? You say you ran out over the weekend. You should have realized that you would run out the prior week and been able to deal with it then.

I use Kroger Pharmacy and I don't have any problems at all. In fact, my husband picks up my pain meds, but I try to not get to the point I'm almost out of any of the meds I take. I have never had that time type of problem with Kroger before.

Take care,
    Faye
  8. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

PLEASE READ THIS!:)

I want to first say that you are NOT alone!

It is unacceptable the way that pharmacies treat us!

I have had nothing but problems with almost every major chain that has a pharmacy.....walgreens, savon, vons,walmart and others!

I could tell you stories you probably wouldn't believe!

But in a nut shell................find yourself a little privately owned pharmacy......that is what I did and I have not had one single problem since I switched!

Another tip from me to you; Make sure that your Dr has staff that are on top of things too, that makes a big difference.........

When I found a DR that has a competent staff and a pharmacy that minds their own business and does exactly what they are there to do ( and that is fill your prescriptions) I have no more problems and it makes a big difference!

Try my advice and let me know how your doing

Hugs
    Doxy
  9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

You can't put in a refill for pain meds and have them filled early. The insurance will not cover it because it is flagged as too soon so I had to wait until Sunday, which to me is not too late because Walgreens always faxes their refill requests so on Monday morning my Dr would have had it. She just didn't "get around" to responding to it.

Thanks for the suggestion guys to change pharmacies. I think that is a wonderful idea. There is a Medicap pharmacy which is much smaller in the same little shopping area as my Dr's office, I am thinking they probably work together very well. I never thought about it before since I have used the dreaded Walgreens for convenience for so long.

I ended up calling the Dr on call last night and telling him what happened. I know he thought I was stark raving mad too and he kind of slapped my hands for calling him instead of calling "the clinic" but who cares that's why he gets paid big bucks is to take care of his patients. I am on the way to Walgreens now we'll see if HE kept his word and called in "a few" for me.

Hugs,
    Karen
  10. mary124

mary124 New Member

Not Walgreens but I'm beginning to hate HEB. I've been going there for a few years, my youngest son takes Adderall, which you can't just call in a refill, you have to call the doctors office and either pick the prescription up or they mail it to you. (usually they mail it to me). Anyway, the nurse made a mistake on the first prescription, which I didn't noticed till I picked up the prescription at the store, and when I looked at the bottle, and said something to the technician she said maybe your insurance changed? (I told her not in the middle of the year) so I call the doctors office the next day, told the nurse what the problem was. Told her to date the prescription for today's date; as now we barely have enough to last till we receive the new prescription, well, guess what, she didn't she put it for 10 days later- so we get the prescription, take it to HEB hoping they don't notice the date--WRONG!!! they tell me they can't fill it because of the date. So I call the doctors the next day which was Friday - of course they close early on Friday and they tried to talk to the pharmacist- they said you CAN CHANGE THE DATE IF YOU WANT - THE LAW SAYS YOU CAN- well, HEB IS being a little &&?%?? about it all, so the nurse calls around to a few local pharmacies and finally finds one that will accepts the prescription!! so now I think I have a new place to fill them all now (ITS CVS). They agreed with the doctors office that HEB WAS BEING AN as-Ho-- about it all.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2007]
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Karen:

I am so sorry that happened to you. I remember that when I was going to see my sister in Florida a few years ago.

I explained to the pharmacist that I would be gone for a few days after the med expired and he gave me some to hold me over.

I hope they begin to treat you better. They do not mind taking your money!

nyrofan
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hawkeye,
    I can put a refill for Lortabs and get it a few days early with no problems. I also get my Xanax filled a few days early also so I won't run out.

My insurance will refill meds 6 days before you run out. Maybe that is the difference. I've never had a problem, even when the pharmacy didn't have enough meds, they would give me enough to last until they could get a new supply in.

Sorry the problem was from your pharmacy not calling your doctor.

Kroger was supposed to call my husband's doctor to get a refill on Protonix, because I didn't realize he had no refills available. I usually call the doctor to get new Rx's.

I didn't realize that some people can't get meds a few days early as I have always been able to. I have never used Walgreens, though. I like the generics I get from Kroger. Walgreens offer a different manufacturer and it isn't the best on narcotics, I have found out from my son. The Lortabs I get from Kroger are from Watson and they work really well.

Hope you now have your meds. Sorry you are in that situation.

Take care,
    Faye
  13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Well the entire story got much worse today..... I won't bore you all with the details but let's just say that I was definately treated like a drug seeker by the pharmacy techs at Walgreens. I am very upset, I had to jump through many hoops today to get my refill, it was NOT because of my Dr, my Dr faxed a refill verification in yesterday and Walgreens didn't fill it, I called the Doc on call last night and he called in 30 tablets last night but Walgreens didn't fill it and finally I went directly to the Dr's office on my lunch hour talked to the nurse who told me she had faxed that refill in again about an hour earlier (I had just left Walgreens and the pharmacy tech's all stood there with their hands on their hips screaching that I picked up my meds on the 12th and didn't have a refill coming). Finally the nurse got it straight with the pharmacy and I picked it up after work today.

The problem was I felt mentally and physically so bad from being without the medication I so badly needed compounded with being battered by the Walgreens system. I managed to not burst into tears or make a scene but it was so very difficult. I just wanted to break down and cry (and maybe wring a few necks!)

I don't know what to do...I want to know my rights and if I should file some sort of grievance with Walgreens.
    I don't want this to ever happen again and the problem was not that I waited until that "last minute" to request the refill, it was faxed in to Walgreens on time, they just didn't fill it. I know they wouldn't have done this with my blood pressure medicine or my cholestrol meds, they just judged me because it was a pain medication. It's just not right at all.

I don't want this to happen to me or any other person again. I can't believe I mangaged to work, I work directly with the public and it was very hard to act "normal" when I was suffering so badly.

Hugs,
    Karen
  14. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Contact them to double check your rights.I posted this a while a go.

Good Luck.
    Sue

PATIENTS BILL OF RIGHTS 11/06/06 04:57 AM

Patients’ Bill of Rights

I. Information Disclosure
    You have the right to receive accurate and easily understood information about your health plan, health care professionals, and health care facilities. If you speak another language, have a physical or mental disability, or just don’t understand something, assistance will be provided so you can make informed health care decisions.

II. Choice of Providers and Plans
    You have the right to a choice of health care providers that is sufficient to provide you with access to appropriate high-quality health care.

III. Access to Emergency Services
    If you have sever pain, an injury, or sudden illness that convinces you that your health is in serious jeopardy, you have the right to receive screening and stabilization emergency services whenever and wherever needed, without prior authorization or financial penalty.

IV. Participation in Treatment Decisions
    You have the right to know all your treatment options and to participate in decisions about your care. Parents, guardians, family members, or other individuals that you designate can represent you if you cannot make your own decisions.

V. Respect and Nondiscrimination
    You have a right to considerate, respectful and nondiscriminatory care from your doctors, health plan representatives, and other health care providers.

VI. Confidentiality of Health Information
    You have the right to talk in confidence with health care providers and to have your health care information protected. You also have the right to review and copy your own medical record and request that your physician amend your record if it is not accurate, relevant, or complete.

VII. Complaints and Appeals
    You have the right to a fair, fast, and objective review of any compliant you have against your health plan, doctors, hospitals or other health care personnel. This includes complaints about waiting times, operating hours, the conduct of health care personnel, and the adequacy of health care facilities.

For more information on patients rights and responsibilities:

Prescription Medicines and You, presents information on what you need to do to take your medicines safely, and how to get help when you need it.

Agency for Health care Research and Quality (AHRQ), a part of the U.S.

Sue

15. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

You story was as identical as mine 2 years ago. Forever I had been going to the same Walgreens. Same thing, Walgreens said they never got the fax from the Dr. Every month this went on back and forth.

Finaly, my Doc. told me that I need to go to a different pharmacy because their group of Drs. have decided never to work with Walgreens again. At my last pick-up at Walgreens, I told the pharmacist about this. He neither cared nor tried to remidy the situation.

You must find out why this happens as I did. I found out that my Walgreens was a training center for pharm.techs.
    That's why they always had such a high turnover. I never got the same tech. always someone new.

Since I am from Chicago, I new Walgreens headquaters was in Deerfield. I emailed them to complain, they gave me a flowery story to improve, but nothing happened. I have an Albertson's 1 block from me and I go there. Just don't go there any more. They do not want your business.
  16. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

im so sry you had to deal with this! if i were you i would find a new pharmacy.
    walgreens was stilling my pain meds and i complained and then i went to costco, i was so happy i did because all my medacations our cheeper there.
    I ALSO TOLD MY DOCTOR THIS, AND HE TOLD ME HE HAD MANY REPORTS OF THIS HAPPENING AT WALGREENS. GOOD LUCK
  17. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Sorry to hear your delemma.

Walgreens does have the option of automatic refills. My husband does this on a medication he takes.

I have run out of blood pressure medicine and they couldn't give me a few because of the insurance company (per them!). Don't know if that's accurate but I did think it was dangerous. Needless to say I've been more watchful of my meds.

One thing I started to help me remember is a one week pill container. That way when I fill it once a week I can keep up with when I am getting low.

I am also considering getting a 2nd one and filling it but not using it until I've placed the next order. I fill mine by mail now and if any run out it takes a little longer to get those filled.