I HATE water!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have been slowly quit drinking soda for the obvious reasons. However, I really hate water. It has never tasted good and it is not refreshing. I do not care for diet soda. Well, I have been looking for something else to drink. I like milk, but I try to limit it because of the FM thing. This may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever read anything about Gatorade and FM. Most of the drinks out there are loaded with sugar and I am trying to cut down on my sugar. I thought that I had a hard time quitting soda because of the caffeine, but I realized that I was craving sugar. (I am trying to limit my sugar too!) Anyways, what are your opinions on this matter? Thanks in advance.

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have been slowly quit drinking soda for the obvious reasons. However, I really hate water. It has never tasted good and it is not refreshing. I do not care for diet soda. Well, I have been looking for something else to drink. I like milk, but I try to limit it because of the FM thing. This may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever read anything about Gatorade and FM. Most of the drinks out there are loaded with sugar and I am trying to cut down on my sugar. I thought that I had a hard time quitting soda because of the caffeine, but I realized that I was craving sugar. (I am trying to limit my sugar too!) Anyways, what are your opinions on this matter? Thanks in advance.

Kurt
  3. mistyb

mistyb New Member

I try and force myself. I am quite a sugaraholic. I had initially quit and went to diet soda, BUT, after analyzing this figured out that it made some of my symptoms worse. I allow myself one regular soda per day. I also really like Gatorade, Powerade etc. I had been drinking it in the past few weeks since my gall bladder surgery, but seem to think that it too made my symptoms worse. I get horrible spine pain between my shoulder blades. I don't know if this will help or not. I am not sure there are any "really good things" for us to eat or drink, but do it in moderation.
    misty
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are not alone with the hating water! I did not drink any water except to take a pill my whole life.

But about 8 months ago, I read a book called; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies and Lupus' by F. Batmanghelidj, MD.
    Heres the website; www.watercure.com Its a good read.

It changed my mind, and I have been drinking half my weight in ounces of water a day since. I have almost eliminated sinus attacks, headaches (migrains, cluster and sinus types), my food is digested better and the Fibro Fog is much better, thats just to name a few improvements.

I had a problem finding a water that I could drink, as most seem to choke me. I finally settled on Evian, its light and goes down easy, but it is a little expensive. But if you drink soda or Gator aid, the price would be about the same.

Evian has a lot of minerals in it too.

I don't know anything about Gator Aid and Fibro, but I do know that it has a lot of chemicals in it like most bottled drinks.

As for the sugar, if you drank water it would help get rid of the cravings quicker, it would wash the sugar out of your system faster.

Hope you find something to drink, I know where you are coming from. I was addicted to Coke Cola for years, it was not an easy habit to break, but since I got over it, I don't even like the taste of coke anymore.

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl

5. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I promise .... if you keep drinking water you will learn to like it and want it. I have a 32 oz mug that I drink at least four of a day but usually five. I long for water now. When I do not drink the four mugs I feel like my body is missing something. And by the way, water should not have a taste, just refreshing.

Janine
  6. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Water is really good for you. I am not fond of water myself, but here's what I do that helps me a lot. I buy 4 bottles of water and rotate them in the freezer so they are ice cold with some ice in them. It helps to drink it Ice cold. Also, putting lemon or lime wedges in it give a bit of flavor.
    Hope this helps,
    Lanie
  7. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

My mom always said I needed to drink more water & cut down on my Pepsi...I said I'd rather be dead than give up my Pepsi and I hated water and I meant it.

However, got severely ill last year & surprisingly enough the only thing I could tolerate was ice cold water for nausea??? Couldn't believe it.

Now, it's a habit (it takes ~30 days to make a new habit from a bad one). You love water, you love the way it's helping your body, etc. etc....

Lemon or lime wedges is a good suggestion too. Now, I have about 1 glass of caffeine-free Pepsi a day (& I prob. drank 7-8 glasses of reg. before) and 48-60 oz. of water a day.

I find I drink more water from the individual bottles than I do if I pour water in a glass from gal. jug (although it's cheaper that way). I carry one with me wherever I go. I can't drink our well water...it turns blue when heated, so .....

Best wishes...I know you'll have success. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Michele (Remember-you love water!)

8. tired42long

tired42long New Member

H Kurt, I can't stand to drink water either. I have to get totally hot and sweated up to even enjoy a glass of water. I used to drink soda all the time, but I know sugar isn't good...i also found after about 20 years of being addicted to the caffeine and having aspartame really affect my moods and thinking...it was time to give that up for good. When I am really wiped out or have a bad flare from viruses or other bugs, I drink loads of gatorade.Not drinking much brings on quick dehydration for me. Some say the sugar isn't good for us because some of us are susceptible to yeast type infections that are actually throughout the digestive system. I don't like all the sweet syrup and sugar stuff in the gatorade either. I have heard that gatorade or other companies are starting out a new line of potassium and other nutrient filled drinks that don't have the sweeteners. I wonder if adding a little fresh-squeezed lemon or lime, and then a Tiny bit of sugar or honey would be better. Water is.. so boring. I think it's because we are so conditioned to TASTING anything that goes into our mouth...esp. if you are used to sweet soda.I know it also "does a body good", but it is so blah..!!!Do you have a water purifier or filtration system? I wonder if that would help.And then putting a pitcher right in the fridge so it is at least cold and a bit more refreshing. I was told to do this but yet have $ to do so. I know from moving around to half dozen places in the last 12 years that water quaility and taste is different in some places. Eileen
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Kicking the soda habit is really hard. I used to be hooked on Coke, but finally quit drinking it and switched over to bottled water. It takes awhile to get used to drinking all that H2o, but you WILL get used to it and you will learn to like it. I am now hooked on water and take a bottle wherever I go. I do not touch tap water, just bottled or filtered water from the grocery store.

ssMarilyn
  10. fralor

fralor New Member

I didn't realize so many others don't care for water either. With me I really don't want anything to drink. I don't care for milk unless it's in cereal. I'll have a Pepsi or Coke with dinner, but I really don't crave anything. I go out for dinner with my family. Everyone else always needs a refill on whatever they're drinking, but I can hang on to the same drink (whatever it is), and sometimes don't even finish it when I've finished my meal. I know I need to lose some weight, so I'm forcing myself to drink as much water as I can. I don't even think about whether I'm thirsty or not. I just grab a bottle of water and keep one on my desk at work at all times. Good Luck to you. Fralor
  11. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

I also hate water and have tried putting a piece of lemon to give water a different taste. I have also sprinkled sugar free koolaid on ice chips.
  12. Coping

Coping New Member

I happen to love water since we got our new water treatment system. But in the past when I was dieting, I used Crystal Lite. It comes in many flavors and I believe it is calorie free. It is really good. (In fact I'm headed to the store, I think I'll get some) I have been drinking a ton of Ice Tea but have to cut back because of the caffeine.
    I think you might enjoy the Crystal Light. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Tricia
  13. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Veryfine makes flavored spring water called Fruit2O.
  14. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

But for some reason in the past few months, it seems to "gag" me..I still try to drink some, but I have found out that the bottled water is easier for me to drink anymore..Don't know what changed my taste..Also the idea of putting a lemon slice in it is good (like others have said)..I have known people that put lemon juice in their water - says the lemon actually helps them to loose weight..I myself am not sure - ANY OPINIONS..I always thought it was just the fact that you are drinking more water..Take Care All................Donna
  15. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I used to hate water too.... I never drank it.. I was a REAL live pepsiholic! then I likewise saw the watercure site and it's so fascinating!!!!! SOOOOO I bought me a Brita pitcher and got to drinking it and guess what,.... about a month into it I got to liking it! and now pepsi tastes sooooo bad. When I got this diagnosis and found out how badly we are all treated in the system I decided to do everything possible ( almost) to help myself and if water can help... I'll try it! and just like Mikey,.,,,, I like it !!! LOL>>>>> Good luck*
  16. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Gee I thought that I was the only one who didn't like the taste of water. I do like a product call Crystal Geyser, it's produced in Ca, and I pass their plant quit a bit when I travel up North. I have seen their trucks come down form the Mountains, and so I do know where it come from, lol.

I like the taste of it, but I also add cranberry juice to flavor it. Cranberry's good for you also, I also do the lemon slice thing, and when I feel really Daring, I add a lime, lol.

I know waters suppose to be good for you, but my tastebuds just hate it. I drink it, because it's dangerous to get dehydrated. It's also good for the skin and it helps to keep it from getting dry and itchy.

See if you can get the Crystal Geyser in your area, it's really good and inexpensive.

Bottoms Up and Cheers,
    kredca4
  17. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hey Kurt, Another idea is to chew gum before sitting down with a glass of water. I tried to increase water to help my dry skin and of course cause it's supposed to be good for you. Since I cut out soda I was missing the sweet stuff. So, I just chew a fresh piece of gum and waaalla. I am more thirsty. I know it has sugar and isn't good for teeth, but it has much less sugar and calories than a can of soda. When the sugar is gone and the water is down...it's garbage for the gum. Just another thought.
  18. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I drink Gatorade, Crystal lite, or other low calorie drinks. I don't know what there is about it...I know this will seem wierd to some of you but I can get water down better if I drink from a straw. I told you it was weird.
    I wonder if it has something to do with tasting it. I don't like the taste of water. We bought a Brita water pitcher and the water seems to taste better when it filters through there. I saw one place on a web page (I don't remember where) but that people with fibro should drink their water from a Brita water pitcher. Just another idea.

Arlene
  19. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Hope I got that right. I read your reply about chewing gum, I have TMJ and that's the last thing I should do.
    I sure do miss my gum, I have the dry mouth from this dd, and I use to chew a lot of Freedent, I have dentures.

Well I found out it was making the TMJ worse and also it gave me gas. I have IBS also and when I chew gum I swallow air and then I bloat up. So got rid of the gum.
    Straws make me bloat also, so no straws unless necessary.

Started chewing gum about 14 years ago, when I quit the cigs. Just one bad habit after another with me, ;o)

Have a good day,
    kredca4
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2002]
  20. Menolisongster

Menolisongster New Member

I also do not care for water. But I have discovered one brand of bottled water which I do enjoy. I buy the small bottles by the case and keep them in the fridge. It doesn't seem as if I am drinking a glass of water and I go through 3 a day.
    When I was younger I was told to add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar not much just enough to take the tap taste out. I used cider vinegar and it was refreshing and drinkable.
    hope this helps.
    menoli