I have a ??? about Gliadin antibodies......Celiac

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi all,

I tested positive for Gliadin antibodies IgG but not for IgA. My IgA result was 4 U/ml.

I had already greatly reduced the wheat in my diet just by cutting down carbs. I think that may have influenced my test results.

Any input?

Sofi
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

but it came out negative. I too had gone off most carbs and am wondering if that influenced the outcome. I was eating everything about 3 weeks before the test but I've read that you must be on gluten much longer - more like 3 months. I'm having an endoscopy to rule it out next week.
    Whatever the results, I'm going to go gluten free after this. I know it makes a difference with my health.
    Can you get retested? What does your doctor think of our results?
    Take care, Theresa
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thanks for the bump and the reply. I am going to get retested in a few weeks.

When I first got the positive result I went gluten-free for about a week. Then I read that I need to be eating gluten for the follow-up tests so I'm trying to eat a lot of it right now but it makes me feel bad.

For the week or two after I went gluten free I noticed marked improvement in my pain and energy but it's all back now that I'm eating gluten again.

I just want to get on with things. I'm almost done with drs. I'm ready just to diagnose and treat myself.

Sofi
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

What type of dr. tests for these things? I am trying desperately to find one.
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I think endocrinologists test for it. Your primary Dr can test for it though if you ask them to. It's called a Celiac panel.

Good luck ,

Sofi
  7. cobie

cobie New Member

Hi,
    Most gastroenterologists now only diagnose coelic disease from a biopsy from the bowel, otherwise there seems to be a lot of misdiagnosis. You need to stay on a gluten diet so they can see the damage done to the villi of the bowel wall, and only then can it be confirmed. BUT if you feel worse eating gluten isnt that proof for now ? cheers cobie
  8. wacquiebob

wacquiebob New Member

I had positive antibodies results on two tests but they were not excessively high. I then had the biopsies done to see if I really had the disease. The gastroenterologists took 30 biopsy specimens and they were all normal. I think CFS is an autoimmune process and that we make antibodies to alot of things. My IG blood test is always high.