I have a bad case of the munchies.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Apr 24, 2007.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I don't know what to do. I have the worst case of the munchies. I have been eating better and regualary{SP}. But I still get cravings all the time. It can be everything from a ice cream snickers bar to some thing healthy like carrots sticks, celery, low fat cheesy rice cakes, cheese, ham,pop corn.

Let us not for get the cereal I have in the mornings and at midnight when I am suddenly starving to death. I have tried to eat better and I am eating a five seed bread that is good for me, I have whole grain cereal, protiens ham, turkey, cheese, Well you name it and I eat it.

I have always like to munch on everything, I used to think I had the munchies from all the diet coke I drank. I was drinking at least a 6 pack a day. But after I had a gall bladder attack and gall bladder surgery I stopped drinking diet coke and any drink that was carbonated .

But the diet coke just didn't taste as good as it used to do. I rarely drink one now. So I know that my munchies are not from what I drink. Strangely drinking water does not increase your appitate.

I am trying to stopp this munchey feeling from happening so I will drink lots of water. It does not make me want to munch less just go to the bathroom more.
    I really want to lose some weight as I keep getting told that if I would lose some of the weight I gained my knee's would not hurt as much and I would feel better all over.

I will lose 10 lbs in a month and a half and for the next 6 months I slowly gain it back , but thankfully I don't gain any more than what I have lost. But it is still way too much for me to weigh.

I really don't know what to do about this. I want to be more healthy and eating better ,less carbs, salt sugar, you name it and I have tried to eat less of the foods. I don't know how to stop these muchies from happening every day.

I don't think i am alone when it comes to cravings & munchies, but I wish I knew how to stop them from happeninng. IF you can think of any thing that could help me I would appericate it very much.

Thanks for listening to me gripe about this.
    ~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Are you using medicinal pot?? Just kidding, but pot gives you the munchies, I've heard.

If there is a foolproof way to stop them, I'm in!!!

budmickl
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I used to have munchie attacks all the time. It's your body telling you it needs nutrients and all it can do is tell you it wants to eat. The problem is, our mouth and tummy want to put in their 2 cents to obtain their own separate satisfaction, which can be in conflict with what your body needs. Your mouth wants yummy stuff that tastes the best and your tummy wants satisfying stuff that fills it up. In reality, you need to eat lots of veggies. If you eat enough of them and the good stuff, the munchies will cease, although it takes months. At least it did in my case.

Now that you know what the munchies are, that's half the battle. Now you just need to acquire tastes for healthy foods. Veggies are an acquired taste. I don't mean yummy veggies like mashed potatos with milk and butter, I mean stuff like veggies in soup or steamed: zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, peppers (all colors), spinach, other leafy greens like kale, etc. If you cut them up small, use plenty of onions, garlic and peppers, and cook them all together, they taste alot better. Don't load up on the root veggies so much, like carrots and potatos; they are high carb insulin spikers.

Trying to eat them singly usually sucks, unless you dump a bunch of butter or something satisfying on them. But that's exactly what you don't want to do. If you still aren't crazy about them, boil them in chicken broth (without msg, of course). And quit the diet drinks, the chemicals are far worse for you than the sugar. Eat a bowl of veggies several times a day. It may take a long time, but that's the cure for the munchies. Maybe some good multivitamins and minerals from the health food store couldn't hurt, either.

Veggies are most important, but don't leave out salads, fruits and nuts, all raw if possible.

best wishes,

karen
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Rosemarie.

One of the real bummers in CFS is that people do get these terrible cravings for carbs, but they can't be metabolized well, and they just get converted to stored fat, so the weight goes up. Furthermore, fats are not metabolized well in CFS, either, so the weight gain is very stubborn and hard to get rid of, once it's there.

I think I now understand the biochemistry and physiology behind these problems with the metabolism in CFS, and I'm suggesting a treatment that I believe gets at the root causes and has the potential to be an actual cure for CFS, at least in many cases.

I'm not selling anything. I'm not exaggerating. This is not a hoax. This treatment is new, and it isn't very expensive. No prescription drugs are involved.

If you want to find out about this treatment and the theory behind it, please click on my name. In my bio are urls to the papers I've written.

If you check the threads on this board that have "methylation" or "methyl" in their titles, you can see how others here are doing on this treatment. Some have reported benefits after only a short time.

Rich
  5. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

that makes so much more sense to me, rather then the biochemistry etc expanations. I too have weight and eating issues, I loose and put back on cause I like the carbs and the sugar!!!!!!! since having to give up work last year becasue of the fatigue and pain of FM I have put on 7 more kgs because I sleep heaps dont eat at regular times and thus the circle continues. Iam now trying to get into a routine regardless of how much sleep I have had and hoping I can again get the enery to cook and thus eat healthy and maybe loose some weight......sound familiar guys hope so...
    but ooooh those munchies!!!!!
    in love n light
    connie
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I haven't had much of an appetite for months, now all of a sudden I can't stop. I go to bed feeling too full and swear tomorrow, I'll eat healthy and start all over again!

Don't know if this is menopause kicking in or what, but I've already gained belly weight and can't seem to help myself!!

S
  7. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Yes I still have my munchies and hate it still but It did help to know that I am not all alone with this situation. I wanted to thank you all for the comments you have made.
    I have worked at lowering my pain med dose's I have lowered the amount I take from 5 pills a day to 3 pills a day. I thought it would help but it didn't as much as I would have thought.

Thank you for all the suggestions that were made and I do want to let you know that I really do listen and read all the responces I get on a thread. I try to work in to my life the suggestions that I think will be helpfull for me. I don't know what I would do with out the wonderful support that I have gotten here. Thanks
    ~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  8. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

My mom who is in her 60's now eats 6 times a day her doctor told her no diet works so to curb being hungry eat 6 times a day.

An example of her day:

breakfast: 0ne egg and toast,juice
    morning snack:bowl of cereal
    lunch:Tuna and tomatoe
    afternoon snack:cottage cheese
    dinner:salad and meat andpotatoe
    evening snack: cellery sticks
    All day long plenty of water she does drink unsweetened tea and pop on occassion with tacos or when she goes out to eat.

She has lost weight and keep it off for a year now and happy because she says she isn't hungry. Doctor told her diets trigger your body to think it is going to starve so it stores up fat to survive. so to feed it lightly 6 times a day tricks your body into thinking it isn't starving and actually starts to burn fat.

She has convienced us sibling that this works so we are all starting this eating habit.

may work for you.
  9. NO your not alone, I could have written that post you wrote Rosemarie. I eat, and am starved. So today I am cutting the carbs waaay down and junk. I am tired, overweight and tired of being tired and overweight. So I am trying to eat smaller more often meals. I too have heard it helps. Stock up on good things too, or I should say healthy foods.
  10. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I can recall some of my meds giving me the munchies.Usually a pain med or muscle relaxer.
    Other wise it may just be you like to munch.Since you are eating right or at least trying to,see if you can find something nutritious that will satisfy your cravings.Also, I find that for me I don't totally deny myself things that I shouldn't eat.I do my best at eating whats right and watching the portion sizes cause I have FM and am also diabetic.But if I want something like cookies or ice cream or my weakness Boston Baked Beans,I'll go ahead and have it.But not every day,or in crazy amounts.I tried totally denying myself which was NOT GOOD.I'd be ok for a week or two then go completely crazy eatin up every bad thing I could find.I try not to keep more than one junk food type in the house at a time.I noticed that my craving is always an item with a crunch factor,so air popped pop corn,carrots,frosted mini wheats( no milk) or kashi cereal (no milk)things like that are my allowable munchie crunchie fix.
    SO YOU AIN"T ALONE.Sometime ya just got to get your munchie on.
  11. momof471

momof471 New Member

I can't stay away from popcorn, the bad thing about it is I have IBS and that isn't helped by my food of choice! I get cravings for sweets too its hard not to indulge especially on bad pain days.

God Bless