I have a COLD. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pumpkinpatch, Feb 21, 2007.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

This is the first cold and its a dandy. I haven't had in 4 years. I wonder if it has anything to do with my body detoxing and the anti-yeast candida diet I'm on. i've also been on Transfer Factors Essentials from Pro-Health for 1 month now plus lots of other things including the MSM Powder and Green Alive
    Anyone? Maybe my immune system is starting to filter things out.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

cindycor:

I am so sorry you have a cold.

You know: sometimes a cold is just a cold.

Maybe treating it as such with rest, juice, etc. and giving it a few days will help clear it up. It might be worth a try before adjusting what you are doing otherwise.

nyrofan
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Cindy, I'm sure you feel that you don't need any more problems but I think this is a good thing! Your immune system may be starting to work as it should. Just last week, Dr Bested was saying she cheers when her patients start getting colds and flu!! ( cheering in a positive way only!)

You have done a lot of good things for your body in the last while. Take care of yourself and get lots of rest for now.

Kathy
  4. roge

roge Member

ya tend to agree with pianowoman, could very well be a good sign cause as you say no cold for 4 yrs which is really not normal but normal for us FMers and ME/CFSers.

My last cold was spring of 2003, I am pleading for one, please.

peace
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I agree with others, and think it's a sign that your immune system is actually responding to a virus. That's GOOD!

I hadn't had a cold or flu for years and finally had one a month or so ago. It was a doozy, but didn't last all that long. I felt like it was a sign I was moving more towards "Normal".

I think that's why I always react so badly to the flu shot. Because my body just can't process it and sees this foreign thing, but can't respond properly. I haven't gotten one of those for the past few years.

Take some garlic or echinacea, if that's how you lean. Or go for the Sudafed, if you're okay with meds. Hope you feel better soon!
  6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i think it "might" be a good thing too. i used to get colds flu etc before cfs (and in early years of cfs) but haven't gotten sink in years now. i am recently doing better cfs wise and lo an behold i caught the flu in december. i was like yay! this feels "good". (good of course because maybe my immune sys was becoming normal again....?)

my cfs dr said my immune sys is "up regulated"

take care

bigmama2
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

OMG you all made my day. So many nice comments! and Dr. Bested is happy when her patients get a cold!!! That's too funny.

Yes it's true I haven't gotten a cold or flu in 4 years and this was a complete surprise. I'm going to see The Herbalist at "Wild Rose" to continue my anti-yeast campaign. I can't believe I'm sticking to this diet and not starving. I'll tell you the juicing really helps and eating lots of little meals during the day. That way I don't get hungry.

I've been taking my Vitamin C and garlic during the day and my COLD seems a little better.

Thanks again. I never thought anyone would even notice this and your support is so much appreciated.

Cindy
  8. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes a cold remedy mixture for the juicer would be great!

Sorry forgot: I'm using a blender not a juicer. I drink pulp and all!!

Thanks

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  9. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Cindy,

I've also recently (about a month or so ago) started working on the yeast problem with probiotics and such, and just came down with a whopper of a "cold" last week. This ended up including a 101 degree plus temperature, extreme sore throat, and eventually was diagnosed as bronchitis (with a dose of Z-pack to clear it up, which does seem to be working!)

I also had gone for about 4 years with basically no colds and no fevers (although I've had a few of those anti-fevers where my temp drops to about 96).

I am tentatively seeing this as a very good sign. I read somewhere (need to go back and find the exact info) that our immune systems basically have two kinds of T-cells (I think), those that fight bacteria, and those that fight viruses. In CFS/FM, the bacteria T-cells seem to be over-activated, while the virus T-cells are suppressed. So...the theory goes, no bacteria stands a chance, while the virus just come in and set up housekeeping, with no immune response (or at least, not enough to fight them off).

Don't know if this is true or not, but it made sense to me. One other thing I have added to my supplements in the past month is Cat's Claw, which is an Amazon rainforest herb that is reputed to help "balance" the immune system; that is: to make sure the proper level of each kind of T-cells are present.

This may all be bunk, but so far, I'm hopeful. Seems rather strange though to celebrate something that's knocked me out of work for two days and gave me a case of laryngitits that still isn't gone.
  10. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Raven: Both our experiences sound similar. Are you following a strict diet. Mine is 20% from the acidic side and 80% from the alkaline side foods. I have a list I follow. I'm starting to get the hang of this with buying and preparing the foods and they are starting to taste good. I think I even gained a few pounds!!

dncnfngrs: Your recipe sounds good but I can't have tropical fruit. I can have pears, peaches, berries, apricots, apples.

I like this candida diet because I'm eating good and not starving and still drinking my water, teas, green alive, electrolyte drink etc.

This is why I was so surprised to get a cold since I'm taking a zillion vitamins, supplements, drinks etc. I told my husband I'm the "Sickest Healthiest Person Around" ha!

Cindy

11. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Last night was a bad one. I couldn't breath. I got up and took 2 Entex La for sinus congestion and colds. Really helped.

I'm going to the "Wild Rose" clinic today to discuss the detox and anti-yeast diet and whatever else he advises.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. The juicing is a life-saver.