I have a colonoscopy on Friday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Nov 12, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I can't say I'm looking forward to it (who does?) but I guess it's time. Any helpful hints anyone has? Is lemonade OK to drink when I'm prepping for this the day before?
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Good luck on Friday. As you know, many of us have survived this test recently. It will be over before you know it.
    As for the day before, you need to drink clear liqiuds and lots of them. Lemonade may have pulp in it so watch that. I had clear broth, jello and water mostly. You need something with electrolytes in it as you lose a lot during the day.
    Another hint is to eat lightly the day before the prep. It seems to make it easier on your body.

Once you are there, they sedate you and if you are lucky, you will forget it ever happened!!

Cheers
    Kathy
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I guess I'll stick with jello, broth and 7 up to help get the phosphate (?) down. I remember when my hubby had one a few years back, they gave him a drink called "Golitely"- it was an evil joke. He couldn't get away from the bathroom!
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I hope it goes well for your Dad today. I laughed at your "making music" part- I'm a piano teacher!
  5. forfink

forfink New Member

There was a lot of discussion about this the middle of October. Just try using 'colonoscopy' as a search on this website and you will here some wonderful advice from so many. Good health to you!
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That was a big mistake I made last month when I had my colonoscopy. The day before, I drank two 16 oz bottles of apple juice and had an entire bowl of jello. That's a LOT of sugar! I drank lots of water, too.

I woke up the morning of the procedure with a giant headache and I know a big part was from the sugar.

If I have to do this all over again (and I might have to) I would only drink water, (LOTS of water) and maybe some beef or chicken broth. I guess sugar free jello would be okay. Maybe a bit of Gatorade for the electrolytes, but I think that's pretty high in sugar, too.

I stopped several things about a week before my procedure. I stopped Vit E, garlic and milk thistle. I read somewhere that those could cause problems. I figured it was no big deal to stop them for a week.

One other tip. Put some vaseline on your pooper after you take the Fleet. It helps to have a protective coating down there, if you know what I mean!

Good luck!
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'll let you know how everything comes out......oooh, bad one......
  8. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

Hi,
    I had one a few years back. I figure if my dignity can survive that in tact, I can survive anything. haha

I don't remember anything after the demerol kicked in. I guess you are awake so you can respond to the doctor when they need you to roll over, but I remember nothing.

I remember laying in the recouperating room with other people, quite a "musical" room. :eek:)

Good luck!
    Margaret
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Remember not to drink TOO many sugary liquids! Good luck on getting through your non-eating day!
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I hope all goes well for you today. Post how it all went when you get a chance and you feel up to it. I'll be sending good thoughts your way!