I have a date for my disability exam Guess when?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, May 9, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have waited for a appointment for the disability exam for a long time and I finally got the notice for when it will be. I am NOT HAPPPY about this date. Memorial Weekend.
    On Saturday May 27 ay 9 am. I have NO clue who this doctor is and all I have been told is he sounds nice. I have to travel 50 miles on a holiday weekend. Not just a holiday weekend but the FIRST ONE OF THE SUMMER.

I have plans for that day. My daughter is flying out from Ct for the MOuntian Man Rondeovus and she will be here for 7 days total. But I was going to the rondevous and just sit at the camp and talk to people and maybe do a bit of caamp hopping and maybe camp out for the week end but now I don't know.

I had to have them change the time of this appointment as there is NO WAY I could have got there at 8 am. With the traffic as it is on that weekend it will be a pain in the rear end. So the nice lady at the disability office changed it to 9 am which is better for me. Then she called and told me I could have it later in the day if I wanted to but I would reather get it over with and get on with what I want to do.

I just have to Keep my mouth shut and not tell them what my plans are. AS I am trying to bet disibility I don't think that camping at a moutian man rondevous { YOU dress up pre- 1840 and stay in a tipi for the weekend and try to live like the mountian men did } It is a ball but I don't think that the disability people would think that my going was some thing a disabled person could be doing.

But I still am not happy about the date of this exam and not knowing a thing about a doctor who is going to tell them HIS Thoughts about me and if he feels I am disabled. I am scared stiff. I don't really want to go but I need this disability for me to have some self esteem so that I can feel like I contribute to the income of my family.

I will be there when they want me to be and I will not say the things I should not be saying but I won't like being there.And I am not looking forward to being proded and poked to find all the painfull sites I have. This is going to cause me problems and maybe a flare who knows. But since I have gone this far I will be there. SCared but there, Frightened but there. Wanting to scream and have a fit but there. I think you get how I feel now.

Wwwhis me luck and to have a honset doctor who will really believe in me and what my disablilies are. And that they are real and bad enough for me to qulify for the help.

STill scared.
    Rosemarie
  2. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Well, you're finally on your way. They certainly don't do anything to make your life any easier do they? I read your bio. I live in Ogden and I got my disability in 2002. I was a late bloomer and went to school to get a nursing degree. I was able to graduate with an RN but was only able to work for 5 years. It's been very devastating. I know you are scared. I know I was. If there is anything I can do to help make things easier or explain what happens feel free to contact me. I'm pretty new at this and am not sure if I can give you my email address. But I would be glad to talk or assist in anyway I can. LuAnn
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I understand you being scared and anxious, I would be too. I hope you have someone either driving you or going with you. It won't look too good if you can drive the 50 miles by yourself and then drive back home 50 miles.

I can barely do 20 miles at one time one way.

Also I could never make a 9 AM appointment unless it was life or death. I would much prefer something like 2 PM or later, but that is just me, because I like to stay up late and sleep until 11 AM or so. It is just unfortunate that it is on 5/27.

Don't admit you have any plans for the Memorial Day weekend if they ask you. Isn't that going to take you well over an hour to get there? So you must have to get up at 6 AM to be able to leave prior to 8 AM.

Right, being that it is a holiday weekend it may well take you longer to get there. I think I'd call them up and try to get a later appointment.

Good luck and don't wear any makeup for it either.

I have never had to have to file for SSD, as I wouldn't qualify for it since I haven't worked in so long.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had two different appts and everytime both dr's asked how i got there or if i drove myself...it does look better if you could have someone else drive you but i had no choice...

no one to do it for me...it was like 25 miles drive fro me....
    ihave had a friend actually had the dr come to her house for her psych eval...and medical...

maybe they could do that for you...

jodie
  5. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I read Faye and Jodie's responses and it triggered memories of when I had my exam. My husband went with we because I have a hard time recalling details later on. I didn't wear any make-up. I thought I was ready to carry on an intelligent conversation and give him my history, but the minute I opened my mouth I started to sob. Basically all I did was nod and shake my head. My husband answered most of the questions for me. I swear it's a guy thing--they don't believe a woman but they believe another man. Any way, my husband explained I had to quit my nursing job I loved after going back to school at age 39. He really painted a picture and it's true, I desperately miss being a nurse, having friends, going to lunch, making good money and having a life. I would have to be crazy to take a disability with all those wonderful things in my life.

I got to read the Dr.'s report at a later date. My lawyer had it in his file. He states that I was a sickly, morbidly obese ex-nurse who was so depressed that all I did was cry. That her husband had to answer the questions for her because she couldn't concentrate, that he had to accompany me when I went anywhere, that my husband had to do everything, and that I was not capable of driving, and then gave his findings of the exam. I came out looking pretty darn disabled. The moral of the story: don't wear make-up and if you can't think of anything to say CRY!!! Dr.'s don't know how to deal with the crying, so it catches them off guard.

I had this goofy friend that took a cane with her when she went for her appt. I took her down and when she pulled it out I told her she had to be kidding. Since she had never used one (it was her mother's)she looked awkward and I told her to leave it in the car. She wouldn't listen and as we walked in the door to the exam room she tripped on the cane and fell. I had to leave the room because I was stifling a laugh so bad I was choking and my eyes were tearing up. What made me mad was the Dr. made a remark at how unsteady she was even with the use of a cane. I'm sure it was charted and worked out in her favor.
    So accentuate the positive (I read your bio) and you already have a problem with balance so maybe you could trip while in his office.

I would take your husband or a family member who is around you a lot so they can share how you have declined. Well gotta go. My hubby's going to have a fit if I stay up until 2:00 on the computer again. LuAnn