I have a fast heart beat and at night a slow one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

I have had problems over the years with rapid heart beat. The doctor had me wear a holter monitor. I guess my heart rate went to 46 bpm when I was asleep. The doctor said it was normal. I'm going to get another opinion on the 10th. Why would my heart sometimes go up to 150 bpm and as low as 46 bpm and be normal? Anyone else have heart issues like this?

Danielle
  2. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

I am 40 years old and have been having heart palpitations off and on again very often. My doc seems to think it is from depression and anxiety. Who knows. I feel as though I cannot breathe a good breathe, you know? Maybe it is part of our illness. I am always afraid of it being a problem with my heart. So scary sometimes right, when lying down and your heart is racing as if you just finished exercising. Anyway, good lucka and take care. Let me know what your doc thinks. Cookie3 in New Orleans.
  3. rhonda357

rhonda357 New Member

Hi Danielle,
    I was born with arrythmia problems and have been on meds for it since early 20's. You can throw all kinds of it. I throw 2 different ones and at the same time.
    Had 1 Dr. say after wards she was surprized to see me alive. I have rapid and where it skips up to 9 beats at a time. How long did you wear the Holter? if it was 24 hrs have them do the week one or get the one that works with the phone. Good luck.
    Rhonda
  4. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I wore the 24 hour monitor. I will ask about the week monitor. I'm also going to request a sleep study for apnea. I hear that slow heart beat can be from apnea or thyroid. It just seems weird that my heart can have such drastic changes to it. The good thing is that the beating is normal.

My family has heart issues so that is why I'm concerned. My brother had a heart attack at the age I am now (44). The doctors seem to think the test was within normal ranges, but I'm going to go in an talk to them about it. Also slow heart beat can be from thick blood and possible blood clotting or stroke. My mom has had a slight stroke so they run in the family.

Danielle
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi Danielle,

I have a normal heart rate when lying down or sitting, but when I stand it sometimes will go up to 130 beats per minute. It's not palpatations, but a fast heart rate - like you get when you walk fast or run. It feels really weird because all I'm doing is standing still.

My doctor told me it's due to low blood volume, fairly common for those with CFS. I have to really stick to the 8 glasses of water or more per day and I've had to increase my salt intake. I kept forgetting to salt my food, so now I take a salt tablet to supplement.

I want to avoid going on medication for this so I'm religious about the water intake.

BTW, I have low blood pressure, so the extra salt is not a problem for me.

Vicki
  6. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Hi Danielle,

I have problem with rapid heart beat. I was on holter moniter for twenty four hours then for 30 days. The record showed that it even went up to 180. I usually have rapid heart beats when I just stand up, or when I was very weak (just plain weak). Even walk or climb on stairs in slow way sets my heart beat like crazy. Are you dizzy when you have heart race?? Or feeling like pass out??
  7. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

What does your doctor do for your rapid heart rate if anything? Just wondering, because I have a fast heart rate out of the blue, while up, and while at rest alot. I also get very dizzy, I don't know if it is a heart problem or not. I have high blood pressure and on medication, and maybe my pressure gets kind of low at times. Anyway, I have no idea why I get this. Good luck, Cookie 3 in New Orleans
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

have to remember medications can affect you pulse, like welbutrin did for me, stress and exercise. and my ex-husband's pluse was always low even when he was younger in the 38-40' range. docotr would just tell them it was just normal for him...
  9. drdiana

drdiana New Member

Hi,
    I have been diagnosed with "hyperadrenergic POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome". Apparently, we share many symptoms with chronic fatigue sufferers.

The treatment may be different, however, and I wanted to encourage everyone who has experienced this to ask for a "tilt table test". If your heart rate goes up more than 30bpm, you may have POTS. You can do a "poor man's tilt table" by checking your heart rate after lying quietly for 10 minutes, then again after standing for 10 minutes. Be sure NOT to move, fidget, or talk while you are standing.

It is not normal for your heart rate to do that. You can also check out www.potsplace.com.
    Good luck!
    Diana
  10. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Um, you mentioned that you have problem with high blood pressure??? Well, I never had this problem so it might not be the same. i am too have problem with rapid heart beat. LIke you, sometimes I would go to bed and suddenly my heart beats wildly. My heart dr doesn't know why but he gave me beta blocker, Atenolol, other name for Tenormin. It helped me a lot with my heart beat. I had problem with low pressure (NOT major) and that um, I had my tilt test. And I passed out on this test. I do noticed that I start to feel dizzy and heart race, but since with this test, I had to stand, so I became nausea and passed out. I never had been really pass out. I guess that with my warning signs (heart beat rapid, dizzy or nausea) makes me feel yucky so I would sit, and that helps to prevent from pass out. I hope that the dr will help you. Atenolol is popular drugs to treat for rapid or irregular heartbeat and other conditons. Now with this drug, it can cause dizziness or drowniness. But I never have problem with it, but I know few people who are on it and it makes them very tired for next few months.