I have a LAUNDRY question?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, Nov 25, 2007.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the moldy musty smell out of bathroom towels and washcloths?

All of our towels REEK like mold - I have washed them over and over in the most expensive detergent and softener. They smell good coming out of the dryer, but when they get wet again, they stink.

The problem is, my sons and husband don't hang them properly after their showers - they just get thrown on the floor or bunched up on the hanger. I try to go behind them to hang them right, but I don't always get to it.

Aside from throwing them all away and buying new ones (which I cannot afford now) I don't know what else to do.
    Any tips on what I can use to get rid of the smell? I'd appreciate it.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2007]
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I've had a similar problem(part of fibro is we have very sensitive senses!) I've started presoaking my towels with oxywash(liquid, colorsafe type) and detergent before running them through the regular wash cycle. Seems to be doing the trick!

3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I thought I had the same problem for a long time. Once I got my dryer fixed so it didn't take 90 min to dry a load of towels, and I stopped overloading the dryer, I stopped having the problem.

I think the towels soured in the dryer because the heat wasn't high enough and there was so many towels in it, they didn't tumble correctly. My dryer is in the middle of the house and the hose runs through the attic quite a ways. For some reason, I decided to replace it after 9 yrs, and it was UNBELIEVABLE how much better it worked. The old one was almost stopped up with lint and pet hair. A fire waiting to happen so I'm going to make sure I change it out every couple of years.

You might try that.

Also, baking powder might help. Arm and Hammer has a laundry detergent, I've never used it so I don't know how good it works.

And lastly, depending on the age of the kids.... I wouldn't worry about it. Let the hubby and kids use the towels that are going to stink. Go buy yourself some pretty girly towels and DARE them to use them. Don't wash them with the guys' towels.
  4. bozey

bozey New Member

Not to be nosy but do you take your towels out of the washer and put them in the dryer right away? Sometimes I don't and they smell so bad I have to rewash them. And sometimes I don't realize it until after I dry them and then go to dry my hands on them and notice my hands stink from the towel. YUK

If this isn't the case, try putting a cup of white vinegar in the wash cycle.

Good luck

5. hurt_allover

hurt_allover New Member

vinergar! just dont mix vinergar with baking soda! might end up with a mess to clean up.
    vinergar is will remove mold, mildew, and damp musky odors. it will also remove hairspray,shampoo build up on your hair just to name a few things its good for.

what I did was removed my hamper from the bathroom and put it beside the washer for regular work clothes and shirts..then I leave my washer lid up so that when a towel is used you just toss it in the washer. Once the washer is full..it dont take long..all I have to do is turn the washer on because the load is already in.
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Borax or borax and baking soda in the wash cycle along with your detergent.. Let them set for awhile.

Ammonia and vinegar in the rinse cycle (again, let them sit in the solution for about 20 minutes.) Then turn back on agitator and let load finish washing.

My son used to live in Southern Michigan where everything just seemed damp.

This would get rid of the mildewy / sour smell in his towels, etc.
  7. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you all very much for the important tips. I have never tried Borax or Oxywash. I will definitely give those a try! And I also never thought to use vinegar either - who knew cheap old vinegar could do the trick! And I have been spending a fortune on laundry soaps lately.

I do use bleach on white towels which works great. Unfortunately, these are my pretty (expensive) colored towels that they have destroyed. Budmickl, I was laughing out loud when I read your reply. My son ran over to see what the fuss was about.

And yes, Elaine, there are plenty of things that need to be taught to these "boys" when you arrive. Could you please work on getting them to pick up their trash they just toss around? How about scrubbing the floors ON HANDS AND KNEES! Oh and we can't forget about the dreaded dishwasher (the job I hate most). I have the utmost confidence that you will whip them into shape!! Hahahahahaha!
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

Along the lines of checking the lint buildup, check the lint buildup at the vent on the outside of your house. The vent is *supposed* to open only when the dryer is going, but mine gets lint stuck in it every so often. This makes it stick in the open position. Because I'm in Florida and it is usually hot outside and cold inside, the condensation forms inside the vent and inside the dryer, keeping 'dry' clothes damp if you don't remove them right away.

I would think this situation would be similar when it is cold outside and warm inside.

BTW -- This is a great question. I definitely have this problem in the summer. We go through loads of towels!
  9. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Sounds to me like you need to go buy more expensive good girly towels anyway. Pamper yourself for having to do all those stinky towels for the guys!

And again, I would start by checking the dryer hose or vent or whatever you want to call it. Once mine was replaced ($15) it was priceless to have clean smelling clothes and shorter drying time.

ps You might ask Santa for one of those super duper new sets of washer/dryer that can do 25 towels at once.
  10. inthemoment

inthemoment New Member

soak in washer with pine-sol, then follow with a wash with your regular laundry detergent